Separator for shop vac

Review by philba posted 02-10-2015 05:07 PM 3685 views 0 times favorited 4 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Separator for shop vac Separator for shop vac No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

This is distributed by Woodcraft. The first picture shows the contents of the box. I bought it to build a sanding vac cart – separator and a small shop vac with a HEPA filter plus an auto switch for the vac. It was on sale for (iirc) $49.95, regular price $79.95. I went to check the price on the Woodcraft web site but it didn’t come up in the search. I know my local store had them as recently as mid January. A label on the side of the box even says “woodcraft”. Not sure why it’s off the web site, could be discontinued.

Anyway, the components are of pretty good quality and it went together exactly as expected. The “flex goose neck” tubing is actually pretty good – it’s of a generous length. Once assembled and hooked up to a vacuum it seems to work ok – you can see the vortex action but it continually scrubs the dust so I have to take points off for not being a good separator. I built a Thein baffle for it and that made a huge difference. A lot less dust got to the vac after that. (note: the picture is pre baffle.) If it had come with a baffle, I would have given it 4 stars. If they had simply called it a separator instead of a cyclone (it really isn’t a true cyclone like a dust deputy) I would have given back another star. I hate deceptive marketing. To be fair, I expected to have to make a baffle for it when I bought it.

I probably could have built something similar for a bit less than I paid but have far too many other projects to complete.

View paxorion's profile

paxorion

#1 posted 02-10-2015 10:17 PM

Thanks for the review. I have the same separator (albeit I only bought the top, not the kit) and find that at best, it is ~50-60% efficient at separation. My next venture was going to be to make a baffle. From your review, it looks like it will make a difference.

-- paxorion

#2 posted 02-10-2015 11:30 PM

I think the efficiency varies with the kind of dust you are generating. Sanding creates really fine dust so the separator isn’t as effective. For dust from saws, I it’s much higher – with my SCMS, it looked like it got greater than 80%.. The baffle makes a huge difference.

View scarpenter002's profile

scarpenter002

#3 posted 02-11-2015 06:55 PM

I am with you, that is deceptive marketing calling this item a “cyclone”. With the components provided, I would have a hard time paying anything over $20 for it.

Thanks for the review and write-up. Your time is appreciated.

-- Scott in Texas

#4 posted 02-11-2015 07:08 PM

Actually, the parts it comes with are worth a fair bit more than $20. It has two of those “dust collection hose, stay-put” thingies (aka flex goose neck) – each retails for $17. Though, I really only needed one and I cut it down to about 1 ft in length. The retail cost of all the components definitely is more than $50 though I only used about half of them. I’d probably do it again.