Pimp My Plane

Review by Doug S. posted 10-06-2008 07:04 PM 3589 views 2 times favorited 15 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Pimp My Plane No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I’d been lusting after an Infill plane for a while and this one jumped up and bit me.

Talking with Ron Brese, I decided to Pimp My Plane with something a bit extra on the level cap screw. So after getting the counterbored screw and some abalone and epoxy, here’s the inlaid cap screw.

So far I’ve tried this out on Jatoba, Red Oak, Ipe, Purpleheart, Mango, and Maple, all with excellent resuls. It really doesn’t matter whether you plane with or against the grain as it just wont tear out. Shavings are somewhere between 0.000” and 0.0015”. Cant get any more exact than that as my digital micrometer doesn’t seem to like working in that neighborhood.

A little Jatoba

Some curly mango

And some curly maple

Put one on your Christmas list this year and if you’ve been very good, Santa will bring you one :-)

View teenagewoodworker's profile

teenagewoodworker

#1 posted 10-07-2008 12:32 AM

now thats nice! don’t think i’ve been good enough to put one of those on my list ;). could use one though!

View sIKE's profile

sIKE

#2 posted 10-07-2008 02:20 AM

Forgive my ignorance, what do you use an infill smoother plane for? Whatever it is used for it is beautiful.

-- //FC - Round Rock, TX - "Experience is what you get just after you need it"

#3 posted 10-07-2008 02:39 AM

sIKE. These aren’t used that differently than any other smoother except that the mouth is so tight and shavings so fine you can go direct to finish without sanding/scraping on a lot of woods. I’m still getting used to planes without adjusters but once you get this one tweaked just so, it’s a real joy watching wood fluff come tumbling out.

View motthunter's profile

motthunter

#4 posted 10-07-2008 11:14 AM

nice… if anyone has an extra one of these, please let meknow… I could help you find a place to store it.

-- making sawdust....

View Don Newton's profile

Don Newton

#5 posted 10-07-2008 06:10 PM

If I started right now, and I mean right now, I couldn’t be good enough to get one of those from Santa. Heck, I’d have to try real hard to get one for next year!

-- Don, Pittsburgh

View Chardt's profile

Chardt

#6 posted 10-08-2008 10:41 PM

Wow, that is a beauty.

-- When my wife ask's what I have to show for my wood working hobby, I just show her the splinters.

View SCOTSMAN's profile

SCOTSMAN

#7 posted 10-09-2008 12:09 AM

any chance of a haircut and shave?? seriously beautiful plane and nice fine shavings just as they should be.Alistair

-- excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

View Callum Kendall's profile

Callum Kendall

1918 posts in 2427 days

#8 posted 10-09-2008 01:40 AM

very nice plane!

Thanks for the post

Callum

-- For wood working podcasts with a twist check out http://thetimberkid.com/

#9 posted 10-09-2008 03:06 AM

Scotsman
I kept meaning to take a gag shot of a can of Edge shaving gel, my arm all lathered up, with the plane hovering above as if I were going to do the old armhair shaving blade sharpness test by planing my arm smooth. Every time I had someone around to take the shot though, I kept forgetting about it. Just as well, because non-WW folks give you some strange looks about the big hairless track:-)

View Grumpy's profile

Grumpy

19586 posts in 2575 days

#10 posted 10-09-2008 08:21 AM

Great looking tool Doug. Whatever you do don’t drop it .

-- Grumpy - "Always look on the bright side of life"- Monty Python

View TheGravedigger's profile

TheGravedigger

#11 posted 10-12-2008 12:29 AM

That’s what happened to my head!

-- Robert - Visit my woodworking blog: http://littlegoodpieces.wordpress.com

View rtb's profile

rtb

#13 posted 10-30-2008 02:50 AM

only 1 track ??

-- RTB. stray animals are just looking for love

View lou's profile

lou

#14 posted 08-24-2009 12:37 AM

enjoy.it will take you to a whole new level.

#15 posted 08-24-2009 12:54 AM

wow I want one right after I take out a second mortgage