Laguna 2HP review

Review by MrSammy posted 02-09-2015 04:20 PM 6359 views 0 times favorited 29 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Laguna 2HP review Laguna 2HP review No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

My wife purchased the 2 HP Laguna Dust Collector for me. I was always hesitant on buying Laguna because of their horrible customer service reviews. I currently have a 14/12 band saw and have had zero problems. I will explain the problems I experienced and explain why I will never purchase a Laguna product ever again.

My wife bought me the 2 HP Dust Collector because I do woodworking to cope with my Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. She copes with my drinking from doing and experiencing evil things in Iraq and Afghanistan. She spent a lot of money on this item so I would funnel my energy into something positive. When I was putting it together I dropped it and damaged the main unit. I understand this was my fault. I’ve isolated myself over the years and do not want anyone’s help. I was extremely devastated and felt so remorseful to which I will not explain. The following day I called Laguna customer service and explained what happened. The customer service representative laughed and found it to be extremely funny. They charged me 250 dollars for the part and 250 dollars for shipping. I asked why it was so expensive for shipping and they said that it guarantees it will be shipped freight with out damage. The only other way was via FedEx but they couldn’t guarantee it. I told them I want it shipped out freight.

When the product arrived, it was left outside in the snow. My wife was home all day and she was never notified. The box was damaged and when I opened the box it was clearly not packed correctly. I looked at the shipping documents and it stated it was shipped FedEx. I checked by bank account and verified they charged me 250 dollars for shipping. The FedEx receipt showed 32 dollars for shipping.

I told Laguna about the damage and they immediately took zero responsibility and placed the blame on the shipper. I provided photos of how the item was shipped showing how it wasn’t boxed incorrectly. They later stated that someone (i.e. me) asked for it to be shipped FedEx. I explained this was a lie and I asked why was I charged 250 dollars to go by freight. I received no response. I requested to speak with their COO but I have received no phone calls or e-mails.

I have given Laguna plenty opportunities to fix this situation; therefor, I plan on taking Laguna to small claims court to recoup the money they scammed from me. I paid 250 dollars for the item to be shipped by freight, not 30 dollars to be shipped by FedEx. Was it worth it Laguna to pocket 220 dollars????

Currently the Dust Collector is inoperable due to the bag being sucked into the motor. I was planning on buying a table saw and jointer from Laguna but after this, I will never purchase a Laguna product again!

View jacquesr's profile

jacquesr

#1 posted 02-09-2015 06:07 PM

Mr Sammy – I sent an email to my contact at Laguna.
I hope he will find a way to help.
Good luck – Just a side note – I am about to write a post about that soon…
I equipped my whole home shop in the past 9 months…. Bought good, reputable brands… There is always something wrong when you receive a new tool…

View Tedstor's profile

Tedstor

#2 posted 02-09-2015 06:43 PM

-How’d the bag get sucked into the motor? You did read the assembly instructions- right?

-In regards to the shipping, I’m not seeing what your talking about in the pics. Is the component damaged, or are you just pissed off about the damage to the box?

-Why did they charge you $250 for shipping a single component? I just checked Amazon…..Laguna only charges $100 to ship the entire machine?

You’re not the first one to have a bad experience with these guys. I’m just trying to figure out how this deal went so bad?

View CincyRW's profile

CincyRW

#3 posted 02-09-2015 06:51 PM

Mr Sammy – Dont beat yourself up over dropping the unit when you first got it. Human beings are basically designed to make mistakes.

If you dont get a satisfactory response from them, you may want to vigorously and factually explain your situation on social media. Here’s a link to their facebook page:

Hundreds (at least) of people get on that page every day. You’ll get lots of exposure and your story will be noticed especially if its factual and includes data. Dont forget about Twitter either – same story.

You may also consider investigating your state’s Attorney General’s website. Generally this office deals with consumer protection. This is a long shot, but at least you’d have the satisfaction of knowing you did everything in your power to hold them accountable. This is a raw deal.

On a side note, thank you for your service and sacrifice to our country.

#4 posted 02-09-2015 06:58 PM

I thought I read the instructions correctly. The unit was damaged. It’s hard to see in the picture but one of the exhaust ports was bent in due to no protective padding there. It’s currently sitting in my living room.

I questioned them numerous times on why the shipping was so expensive. Prior to shipment they stated it was expensive because it went by freight. The reason the whole unit didn’t cost as much was it was coming out of a Woodcraft warehouse. They said it would be cheaper if it went by FedEx or UPS but they couldn’t guarantee it. I had it shipped by freight but when I received it, it was damaged and sent my FedEx. Laguna took zero ownership of the problem. They claimed I had it switched to FedEx (not true). I asked why was I charged for freight and I have not received an answer. The good thing is I have the e-mail exchanges and receipts showing the charges and the FedEx receipt from the box.

I think I’m pissed on various levels. From the way the thought it was so funny to not taking ownership to charging me to ship one way and they took another route. I’ve given them plenty of opportunities to correct this but they haven’t. The sad part is I like their products, at least my bandsaw.

View dgage's profile

dgage

#5 posted 02-09-2015 08:23 PM

I will say I’ve read more than enough bad stories about Laguna’s recent products and customer support that there is no way in hell I’ll buy anything from them until they get their act together.

View jacquesr's profile

jacquesr

#6 posted 02-09-2015 08:32 PM

I also read a lot of mixed reviews about the service…
But I bought a 14|12 nonetheless.
Not only am I very pleased with the quality of the product itself, but I am very impressed with the service.
In fact, the best, and by far I have received in long time…. strange.

View Woodknack's profile

Woodknack

#7 posted 02-09-2015 10:01 PM

I suspect what happened is they shipped via FedEx air, that’s the only way I can see getting to $250, but you agreed to the price so that’s on you. Contact FedEx and file a claim for damage.

-- Rick M, http://thewoodknack.blogspot.com/

#8 posted 02-10-2015 12:06 AM

The agreement was by ground and you can see the price of the FedEx on the label so the price is not on me Rick!

View mhensel's profile

mhensel

#9 posted 02-10-2015 12:19 AM

Gentleman – I think part of the problem lies in terminology. I believe when you say freight, you mean by truck or LTL. Keep in mind Fed Ex is both small parcel and LTL. UPS also has a LTL, and T/L division. Also, and they said that it guarantees it will be shipped freight with out damage. (The only other way was via FedEx but they couldn’t guarantee it.) statement does not exist. No carrier can, or will make make that guarantee. Please also keep in mind, that only the shipper can file a claim with carrier, not the consignee. Typically any special instructions by consignee ( customer ) require something in writing that assures shipper that they will be reimbursed for said charges. If this was only a verbal agreement, it will be on the shipper ( Laguna ) to prove this conversation ever existed. For those of you not in the business, or curious, LTL= less than truck load—-T/L= full truck / Over the road

View misterbig's profile

misterbig

#10 posted 02-10-2015 12:27 AM

I feel your pain. A couple of months ago I called them to get some details on the 14/12 and the 14 suv band saw and the customer service person told me that when I pick the saw I want they would be willing to help me…..the hole point was getting info so I can make the decision….the person in customer service was a complete cow.

#11 posted 02-10-2015 12:46 AM

I want to clarify it was agreed with laguna that it would not go by FedEx or UPS which is why the price was so high. I can post my bank statement if needed.

View ChuckV's profile

ChuckV

#12 posted 02-10-2015 01:59 AM

Did you pay using a credit card? If so, you could talk with the card company about filing a dispute for the difference in the shipping costs.

I wish you all the best.

-- “Big man, pig man, ha ha, charade you are.” ― R. Waters

View woodenwarrior's profile

woodenwarrior

#13 posted 02-10-2015 09:38 AM

Mr. Sammy,
Completely off topc. Read my profile. If you ever need an ear to listen, drop me a line.

Woodenwarrior

-- Do or do not...there is no try - Master Yoda

View HighPointWW's profile

HighPointWW

#14 posted 02-10-2015 12:32 PM

Hey Sammy.. sorry you had a bad experience with that DC.
I bought the same DC from Laguna a few months ago, however mine was shipped with no issues, or damage. Assembly went fine, but had problems with the remote control. Lagunas customer service did get back to me and sent me a replacement remote after a couple of months (which also didn’t work). After they told me on the phone that remote’s range was only about 10-13 feet (useless), I replaced the whole Laguna control box with a PSI remote/mag switch (which now is working perfectly with a 50’ range).
Shame is, I think this DC is a great unit, but as many others have pointed out, Lagunas customer service – not so much.

View BoardSMITH's profile

BoardSMITH

#15 posted 02-10-2015 05:21 PM

MrSammy,

First of all, I thank you for your service to my country. Having served three deployments to Vietnam in ‘68, ‘69 and ‘70, I have a better understanding of what you are feeling. Hold on, there is help out there.

Second, I am sorry you are having trouble with Laguna. I have read other stories here and on other forums which mirror your experiences. Call the credit card company immediately and explain the over charges. They will help you, but it will take a little time. If your temper is to short, I have experienced that myself, have a close family member call to negotiate with Laguna before calling the credit card company.

Third, hang in there brother, things will get better!

-- David www.TheBoardSMITH.com