Works great but with some vibrations

Review by jshroyer posted 02-08-2015 07:19 PM 2794 views 0 times favorited 10 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Works great but with some vibrations No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I got this angle grinder because i have only used 1 of these a single previous time. I normally used air tools only. so i decided to start out cheap and get one of these. I didnt want the regular one but got the heavy duty instead.

I was planning on using this for grinding on metal and cutting metal. Mostly cutting threaded rod for jig building and also for anything else like that. i dont leave a tool in my dremel and so thats the reason why i didnt do that.

I ended up getting a crazy good deal on a unisaw on craigslist and wanted to get it running really nice. the only issue was the pivot shaft was goobered up with crud (sorry for technical speak). but i ended up cleaning up the whole cabinet so i could repaint it. there was some rust so i got a HF wire wheel set and used those to clean it up. i could only go for about 2 hours before my hands would hurt too much. so i ended up going to paint stripper and then finished with wire wheel. only took me 13 hours to strip and repaint the cabinet in 1 day. the vibrations on this thing are a lot. If i was going for shorter periods of time it would be great though. thats my only issue with this thing. So if you are going to have an angle grinder in your hand all day each day i wouldnt get this. but since i am a woodworker first and metal worker second i am happy with it.

-if you plan to redo a large table saw cabinet get paint stripper first and then use wire wheel on angle grinder.
-be sure to get lots of attachments for these. (wire wheel, metal cutting, sanding)

I am thinking of adding some grip tape to the handle and the body to try to help the vibrations a bit.

-- http://semiww.org/

View jshroyer's profile

jshroyer

View Dallas's profile

Dallas

#1 posted 02-08-2015 09:08 PM

No matter what brand of wire brush you get, it is going to be un-balanced.
I Have tried nearly every brand using my HF and my Makita and my Milwaukee angle grinders. Every one of then was horrible.

Don’t blame the machine without trying other tools that attach to it.

-- Improvise.... Adapt...... Overcome!

View runswithscissors's profile

runswithscissors

2654 posts in 1930 days

#2 posted 02-08-2015 11:54 PM

I think Dallas makes a good point. A way to check whether the vibration comes from the tool or the attachment is to run it without any attachments.

View bobasaurus's profile

bobasaurus

#3 posted 02-09-2015 12:38 AM

I have one of these and it’s a workhorse… I think it’s about the best tool you can get from Harbor Freight (not saying much, I know, but it’s actually a respectable tool). I used it the other day to cut out a rectangular window from a steel computer case. I’ve also used it to cut 1/8” tool steel bar, remove guards from grinders, cut large bolts, sand Andy-style box contours, and remove rust with a wire wheel.

-- Allen, Colorado (Instagram @bobasaurus_woodworking)

View Tedstor's profile

Tedstor

#4 posted 02-09-2015 03:03 AM

I bought one of these a few years back. Good tool for the price. I only need an angle grinder 1-2X per year…...so paying more didn’t make much sense. I actually just used mine, with a cut-off wheel, to hack through an old rusty master lock on my back gate. Worked well.

View Craftsman on the lake's profile

Craftsman on the lake

#5 posted 02-09-2015 01:06 PM

Fun story:
I cut a lot of metal when welding. I burn through a grinder a year. Dewalt, millwaukee. So I decided on buying Hf to see. I ordered three cheep ones on sale. each one lasted 20 minutes before the gears were smoking then stopped.

I go to Sears…. Craftsman grinder for about $50. And $7 gets you a three year replacement plan. I figure I’ll burn it out every year and just go get a new one. Never have to buy one again. That was 7 years ago…...Still using the same (albiet beat up) sears grinder. And I’m not even a big fan of newer Sears power tools. Just have a few older ones.

View JesseTutt's profile

JesseTutt

853 posts in 2016 days

#6 posted 02-09-2015 03:02 PM

I have the older (?) orange model that I use to cut rebar and angle. Very little vibration. As with any other HF tool I only buy one if it is rarely used. Constant use tools are name brand.

I did cut 4 linier feet of 1/16” steel once and except for the grinder getting warm and wearing out a blade it did a good job.

-- Jesse, Saint Louis, Missouri

View Bill1974's profile

Bill1974

#7 posted 02-09-2015 08:30 PM

For paint removal with an angle grinder, there work better than most other options:

I have not used this brand but the HF and other brands that I have used worked pretty well.

#8 posted 02-11-2015 11:55 PM

I bought one for $9.99 several years ago, it still going strong when I need it.

View Tim812's profile

Tim812

#9 posted 01-13-2017 11:58 AM

Thanks for the review. Good to know that it is half decent. Most review websites feature only the top brands in their angle grinder reviews, hard to find reviews on the HF models. As for the vibrations – a good idea would be to get anti-vibration gloves. You can use them when working with other tools as well. I haven’t tried them myself, but apparently it works very well. Saw an article on a chainsaw website.

-- Dust and coffee = ideal day

#10 posted 01-13-2017 01:17 PM

“As for the vibrations – a good idea would be to get anti-vibration gloves. ”
A better idea yet would be to buy quality disks.
I love HF but HF abrasive suck, all of them