A very versatile block plane

Review by Mike Lingenfelter posted 01-22-2008 04:17 AM 2441 views 0 times favorited 4 comments Add to Favorites Watch
A very versatile block plane A very versatile block plane No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

This Skewed Block Plane can be used for many operations. It can be used to work on end-grain, like a standard block plane. It has a fence and nicker so that you can work on tenons and rabbets. The nicker can be moved so that it is engaged or not. I’ve used it to clean up some tenons and it work beautiful. The skew blade really helps to reduce tear-out when going across the grain. I haven’t added an auxiliary fence to mine yet, but it’s coming soon.

It come in Iron or Bronze and as a left or right skew. They call them left and right handed, but it’s really just which way the blade is skewed. Ideally you would have both, depending on which direction you need to go. So far I only have one of them.

www.lie-nielsen.com

View Mike Lingenfelter's profile

Mike Lingenfelter

#1 posted 01-22-2008 04:56 AM

Great looking plane Mike. I’ve seen the advertisements.

View rikkor's profile

rikkor

#2 posted 01-22-2008 11:05 AM

I think if it is from Lie-Nielsen it is a winner out of the box. They are like male jewelry.

View MinnesotaMick's profile

MinnesotaMick

#3 posted 02-10-2008 02:10 PM

Any trouble sharpening the skewed iron??

View Mike Lingenfelter's profile

Mike Lingenfelter

#4 posted 02-10-2008 06:08 PM

No real problems. I use honing guides to help with my sharpening. With the skewed iron you have to use a jig that lets you skew it. For my skewed blades and chisels I use my VERITAS MK. II Honing Guide.