Table works great though installation is finicky

Review by JLYoung posted 09-30-2008 06:04 PM 4420 views 1 time favorited 8 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Table works great though installation is finicky Table works great though installation is finicky No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I ordered this router table insert plate on a Thursday afternoon and received it on Monday afternoon which I think is an excellent delivery time. The shipment arrived well packaged with everything in it. The instructions to install this thing are very detailed and laid out in a logical step by step manner, which though very complex and daunting upon first review, became quite logical once you take the time to follow the instruction procedure. It took me quite a bit of time to get this plate installed for the simple reason that alignment pin and trammel bar provided to cut the circular depression you sit the plate into have very tight tolerances. I had to go through 3 or 4 iterations of progressively enalrging the hole in the router plate before I got a nice snug fit. The plate is now installed but admittedly I haven’t had the chance to use it any great amount. I’ll update the review as I work with the thing. I have only two comments: 1. There is a step in the instructions that tells you to cut slots in the underside of the plate that allow you to lift the router up, tip it and slide the whole plate out from underneath the table. The picture and dimensions give in the instructions won’t work as shown in the illustration. The depth of the slot must be measured from the outermost radius of the circle, not the corner of the slot. (Makes sense if you have the sketch in front of you). the second issue I had was that since I had to do so may iterations, which include removing the router from the base plate) the depth of the rabbet got a bit too deep for the plate. I solved this by installing small screws into the rabbet which I used to level the plate. It may have been be easier if Veritas had added some levelling screws to the plate itself.

View twill57's profile

twill57

#1 posted 10-01-2008 03:12 AM

Thanks for the review. I have been considering this plate to use in a table saw wing. It would be nice to know how you like it after you have used it for awhile.

-- Tom, Grove City, Ohio

View mjdinsmore's profile

mjdinsmore

#2 posted 10-01-2008 07:06 AM

I’m glad you decided to get the plate and build your own router table. I remember you posting a couple questions on the router table I had made (http://lumberjocks.com/projects/9805)—so I hope my replies were at least a little helpful. It seems they were enough so you went ahead and bought the router table insert. I think the guarantee to give you a second one for free if you mess up the first makes one a little more comfortable going with it.

View bumpnrun's profile

bumpnrun

#3 posted 10-01-2008 10:55 AM

Good review. I have been thinking of giving up my Porter Cable table and mounting a router on my tablesaw wing. How long did it take you to install?

-- JoeJoe

View JimJ's profile

JimJ

#4 posted 10-05-2008 04:18 AM

I have a related question: I have a new Steel City 35670 that has an cast iron wings both sides and a 12” wide MDF Table Board. The fence rails are 52” and are very sturdy and seem to be strong enough to support the added weight of a router. I am wondering if I would need to add legs to support it. I have seen pictures of some table saws with legs but I think they had longer rails than mine. Any thoughts?

Jim

-- JimJ - Oakton, VA

#5 posted 10-05-2008 03:03 PM

mjdinsmore – your replies were a great help thank you. I did manage to get the plate in on the first try but I screwed up the depth a bit. I just used som flat head screws around the perimeter of the lip to level things out though.

JimJ – I just checked my saw (Rigid TS3650) and it has a 62” extruded aluminum front rail. My router table is 2 layers of 3/4” MDF with oak trim , is 20” deep and lines up with the very tip of the front rail. Though truthfully I haven’t put the router table to use yet, so far it is very stable and the only time it feels a bit tippy is when I move the table around on it’s mobile base. Once the saw is dropped onto it’s feet it is very solid. Now my saw weighs approx 287 lbs. Your saw is 440 lbs which would tend to stabilize any overturning of the saw even more so than mine.

I’m still not 100% sure I won’t have to add legs, becuase I really don’t want to considering how useful my mobile base is, but right now I’m pretty confident I wont have to and I’m guessing your saw would be even better suited to this task than mine since it appears much sturdier.

View JimJ's profile

JimJ

#6 posted 10-05-2008 10:55 PM

Thanks, JLY.

-- JimJ - Oakton, VA

#7 posted 12-18-2008 06:27 PM

So after having used the insert plate for a few weeks I have one major concern with it. The hole in the plate is only 1 1/2” in diameter so you’re really limited in the size of the bit you can use with this thing. I’ve been building my router bit collection (Gary Rogowski’s FWW to ten picks) and picked up a Freud 1/2” shank chamfer bit. I can’t fit the chamfer bit down through the hole in the plate. I did end up mounting the bit into the router by removing the plunging base first but I could only raise the bit high enough to chamfer 1/4” before it hits the under side of the router plate. Using a panel raising bit of any large diameter would be out of the question. Darn, now I’m really wishing I had gone with a standard rectangular plate with several different diameter inserts.

View mjdinsmore's profile

mjdinsmore

#8 posted 02-02-2009 04:45 PM

I had increased the hole diameter size by putting in the larger diameter bit and VERY slowly raising it while its running. It slowly cuts away the existing hole to make it larger. I bought a second one so I can still use my brass insert (which looks like you have the same one in our pictures) for those smaller bits.