Can't get better for the price

Review by sgreen posted 02-06-2015 09:50 PM 5003 views 1 time favorited 6 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Can't get better for the price No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

After watching Rob Cosman’s videos on the new V3 planes and his videos on sharpening blades I decided to go get a Wood River #5 Jack Plane. As Rob says, the plane comes covered in thick oil to prevent rust but you can just take it off with some mineral spirits. All the adjustments were easy to make and everything moved smoothly. The sole was dead flat against my straight edge and you can’t beat the tolerances in the chip breaker and blade. All it takes is 10-20 minutes of setup and this plane works just as well my Veritas smoother. Of course it’s a whole let less painful on the wallet. After three months this plane still works as well as the day I bought it. I bought the plane at Busy Bee Tools in Dartmouth, Nova Scotia for $160. Compare that to at least $260 for a Veritas equivalent. I bought the plane and a Imanishi water stone for the price of one plane at Lee Valley. Rob Cosman’s videos on Youtube are worth watching as he walks you through unboxing, setting up, sharpening and planing half thou shavings. He also has good sharpening videos which make hand sharpening with water stones a whole lot less scary.

TL;DR Can’t beat the price vs. quality.

View sgreen's profile

sgreen

View bobasaurus's profile

bobasaurus

#1 posted 02-06-2015 11:22 PM

I have the #6, one of my favorite planes even against my LNs and LVs. Was the back of your blade concave or convex? My blade took a little flattening, but since I use the ruler trick I didn’t have to go too far.

-- Allen, Colorado (Instagram @bobasaurus_woodworking)

View sgreen's profile

sgreen

#2 posted 02-07-2015 04:35 PM

The blade came pretty dead flat maybe the tiniest bit concave. The ruler trick really did speed things up as you don’t have to flatten the whole back. And it means every time I sharpen, it takes 30 seconds.

View kapanen's profile

kapanen

#3 posted 02-09-2015 02:56 PM

Awesome review, thanks for sharing.

-- "Art washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life"....Pablo Picasso

View BenjaminNY's profile

BenjaminNY

#4 posted 02-10-2015 01:05 AM

Have this plane and agree, for the $ it is amazing. Considering the jack is a multi-purpose plane, this is the best plane to bargain hunt for. Save the big bucks for a LN #7 and cheap out happily with woodriver on the #5.

View ShipWreck's profile

ShipWreck

#5 posted 02-14-2015 04:32 PM

I was at the Woodcraft in Richmond/Glenn Allen a few weeks back. I was standing next to a guy who was trashing everything about the V3 #5 to the salesman. He was making his comparison against his LN #5. I was impressed with the salesman for not laughing…....although I could see that he was amused. I was waiting on the salesman to finish with the guy and see if he had a #4 1/2 in stock. I ended up getting one online. Arrived with no issues.

View BenjaminNY's profile

BenjaminNY

#6 posted 02-15-2015 07:38 PM

Agree ShipWreck it is a silly comparison.

I forgot to mention above that I think the only real draw back of the woodriver V3 is that I believe the frog does not have a “track” or a machined slot to move in, which makes adjusting the frog a drop trickier. So yes, the guy you were standing behind is technically right about the LN being greater than the WR v3 but the price difference is drastic.

LN planes are awesome, I have a few, but this plane for the $ is great.