Fallkniven Dc521 Diamond Bench Sharpening Stone

Review by L-H Johnsen posted 02-03-2015 05:48 PM 5927 views 1 time favorited 4 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Fallkniven Dc521 Diamond Bench Sharpening Stone No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I have used water-stones when sharpening chisels and plane-irons for a while.
They work but I don´t enjoy the sharpening-process, which leads to less sharpening=bad results.
So I looked at different diamond-stones and choose Fallkniven Dc521. I’ve had the smaller version (DC4) in my pocket for several years and it has been great, the final finish of the ceramic-side pops hairs without a trouble.
I also tried the Dc521 when visiting a professional woodworking shop, and besides a Tormek-system it was the only stone they used.

Here is what I think is great about the DC521:

1: It has two sides (one is coated in diamonds, the other in ceramics). The diamond-side is 25 microns=about 800 grit. The ceramic-side is about 7 microns= 6000 grit.

2. Good size, wide enough to handle plane-irons I use (No 4-5).

3. It does not require any water when sharpening. And it never needs to be flattened!

4. It is affordable and made by a manufacturer in Sweden who is known for top quality.

The stone can feel a bit aggressive when it´s new out the box. But after some sharpening it feels smooth, and I would not be surprised if the grits ends up being much finer then 800-6000. It is also supplied in a beautiful padded presentation-box.

Dimensions: 12×55 x 210 mm

L-H Johnsen

View Fired_Yo_Momma's profile

Fired_Yo_Momma

#1 posted 02-03-2015 09:59 PM

How much was it… the most important question

View Fired_Yo_Momma's profile

Fired_Yo_Momma

#2 posted 02-03-2015 09:59 PM

Sorry my bad I already seen the price

View jacquesr's profile

jacquesr

#3 posted 02-06-2015 03:54 AM

I ordered it!
TX for the tip

View siavosh's profile

siavosh

#4 posted 02-06-2015 06:17 AM

Thanks for the review. My issue with the one diamond stone I’ve had (Atoma 400) is that it quickly loses it’s bite, and now I use it primarily to flatten my waterstones. Curious how this holds up over time.

-- http://woodspotting.com/ -- Discover the most interesting woodworking blogs from around the world