Part 1, So Far NOT So Good!

Review by Hawk_Guy posted 02-03-2015 03:08 AM 8620 views 0 times favorited 32 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Part 1, So Far NOT So Good! Part 1, So Far NOT So Good! Part 1, So Far NOT So Good! Click the pictures to enlarge them

So I recently purchased the Shop Fox W1741 8” Jointer (Grizzly G0490). The machine came packed into 2 separate boxes and arrived with absolutely no damage.

I’m going to write this review in a few separate posts as I progress through building, tuning, and operating this particular jointer.

First let me start by saying that to my surprise this machine came with the serpentine belt and pulley as opposed to the v-belt on the older version. I was delighted to find this as this was not advertised in their online brochure. The pullies exhibit obvious runout even when turned at a slow speed by hand (did not measure with a dial indicator). That was disappointing but maybe when I actually switch this thing on it will not be a factor. The machine did not come with a plug on the end of the power cord.

The base of this unit is well made and the paint is nicely done. However, the actual cast pieces that make up the upper portion of the jointer are of horrible fit and finish. Large pieces of paint are flaking off in many places and the surfaces are full of abrasions. There are pits in the finished surface of the fence and a large portion of the out feed table looks like someone took a belt sander to it to try and level out a high spot.

The fence will actually hit the surface of the out feed table and drag across the surface when you adjust it in and out. This leaves some wonderful permanent scapes on the outfeed table. I have some UHMW tape on the way to keep that from continuing to ruin the finish.

In adjusting the knives on the cutterhead I discovered that not a single spring was installed under the blades as the manual describes. None of the knives were set properly at the factory. The infeed table is nowhere near parallel with the out feed table. There are four eccentric bushings that are used to adjust the parallelism of the infeed table. Once adjustments are made each bushing is held in place by stacked set screws as in one set screw to keep the bushing from rotating and a second set screw to keep the set screw from vibrating out. Not a single second set screw was installed as described in the manual.

Tonight I tried to install the dust port adaptor on the bottom cabinet and 2 of the 4 threaded inserts that accept the attaching screws were completely stripped out.

Also, when I attempted to raise or lower the outfeed table I discovered that the handle was improperly installed and just flopped around. Upon further inspection I found the attaching hardware to be extremely loose. A large nut on the backside of the handle can be tightened but is not accessible without removing the cast iron machine from the base.

Not a great start! Photo 1 shows the large area of of the out feed table that looks like it was attacked by a belt sander. Photo 2 shows example of paint missing and flaking. Photo 3 shows the scratches left by the fence riding across the table (as intended).

View Greg In Maryland's profile

Greg In Maryland

#1 posted 02-03-2015 04:10 AM

That’s a bummer. But why the five stars?

Greg

#2 posted 02-03-2015 11:32 AM

Greg, it currently has zero stars (no rating). I’m going to hold off until I get a quality straight edge on the tables and run some actual stock through.

View JoeinGa's profile

JoeinGa

7739 posts in 2087 days

#3 posted 02-03-2015 02:02 PM

Actually, it DOES show 5 stars. I think that by not making a choice, it defaults to 5.

My first thought was maybe you were shipped one that had been returned by someone else after he tried to “fix” the issues and they replaced it?

-- Perform A Random Act Of Kindness Today ... Pay It Forward

#4 posted 02-03-2015 02:18 PM

Oh, got it…I went ahead and updated to 1 star. Thanks!

As for it being a prior return, that’s certainly plausible. I was tempted to paint this sucker myself but I’m not up for the task. I’m beginning to see a trend with shop fox and workmanship but it’s all I can afford at the moment. I can live with the cosmetic defects but they are certainly disappointing, I like to keep my equipment pristine…

View ChuckC's profile (online now)

ChuckC

#5 posted 02-03-2015 02:52 PM

A bummer indeed. You have a lot of showstoppers there. I would send the entire thing back.

View philba's profile

philba

#6 posted 02-03-2015 04:52 PM

Have you called Griz/shop fox about it? This is clearly not to their level of quality. I’ve found them to be extremely responsive.

View Jeff82780's profile

Jeff82780

#7 posted 02-03-2015 05:29 PM

sorry about your luck. I have the same jointer and absolutely love it! I’m sure after time you will too!

#8 posted 02-03-2015 05:51 PM

The UHMW tape really does solve the fence issue. I did that on my Delta DJ 20 (same basic castings as the Grizzly 490 / Shop Fox 1741) and it operates smoothly now.
Once you adjust the tables for coplanar, they will stay put. I had mine set into a trailer suspended by the infeed/outfeed tables with tow straps and the settings did not budge!
Fit and finish issues aside, I think you will be pleased by the capacity and performance of this jointer.
Best of luck.

View MrFid's profile

MrFid

878 posts in 1985 days

#10 posted 02-04-2015 02:00 PM

Definitely return this. I wouldn’t expect to have to fix so many problems with a “brand new” machine.

-- Bailey F - Eastern Mass.

View Tennessee's profile

Tennessee

#11 posted 02-04-2015 06:04 PM

I would definitely return this.

-- Tsunami Guitars and Custom Woodworking, Cleveland, TN

View Richard's profile

Richard

1917 posts in 2771 days

#12 posted 02-05-2015 08:09 PM

Definitely return this. I wouldn t expect to have to fix so many problems with a “brand new” machine.

- MrFid

If it was me , it would already be back on the truck , you could have gotten a Fixer Upper from Craigslist.

View GFactor's profile

GFactor

#13 posted 02-05-2015 09:31 PM

Why in the heck would you even begin to think about fixing this thing? I bet Grizzly would be mortified when they find out a unit was shipped out like this. Which raises the question, where did you purchase it?

-- To Steal Ideas From One Person is Plagiarism; to Steal From Many is Research…

#14 posted 02-05-2015 09:34 PM

I purchased this unit from an online dealer. However, it shipped directly from Woodstock International (Grizzly) .

#15 posted 02-06-2015 02:10 PM

I’ve contacted Woodstock International and asked that they replace the unit. Let’s see what happens. My luck has been terrible lately.