My prize, Summer 2008 Contest

Review by Karson posted 2135 days ago 2356 views 0 times favorited 13 comments Add to Favorites Watch
My prize, Summer 2008 Contest My prize, Summer 2008 Contest My prize, Summer 2008 Contest Click the pictures to enlarge them

I won 2nd place in the LumberJock 2008 One Man’s Junk Contest.

I won a Jack Rabbit Deluxe bit driver set. It arrived today and it looks great.

It came in a blister pack package and it contained 4 drill bit sizes 7/64, 1/8, 9/64 and 3/32 drill bits. The countersink is 3/8 in the three lower sizes and 1/2 in the larger drill bit.

It has a brass covered magnet that is quite strong. It held the wrench that is used to screw in the drill countersink assembly.

The drill assembly screws into the end of the quick change adapter. It is a taper thread so the further you screw it in the tighter it gets on the drill bit. The depth of the drill bit is adjustable until it hits the bottom and so you can’t drill for very short screws.

The brass depth stop which is not suppose to burn the wood is adjustable down the full length of the 3/8” countersinks. It will not fit the 1/2” countersink, but it will fit the shaft of the quick change drives shank, but that would make the countersink hole deeper than 1/2”

The quick Change assembly uses 2 – 1/4” wrenches (included) to screw in the appropriate countersink attachment.

The included drill bit with Phillips and square drive is put in your drill with the brass covered magnet.

The quick change attachment with the countersink screw is slid over the drill bit.

The countersink holes are very smooth. The cutters have four cutting edges.

It looks to be a very good quality product. I put it through all of the paces with the exception of putting in some screws. I’ll be doing that later.

The directions are posted on the bottom of the package so you don’t loose it unless you loose the package and in that case I guess you are buying another one.

I give it a 5 star.

The price using the link on Jack rabbits web site vary from 49.99 to 69.99 One of them showed it as 69.99 on sale for 49.99.

View CharlieM1958's profile

CharlieM1958

Now I’m even more anxious to get mine. I’m supposed to get Dan’s since GaryK turned over first prize to him in the “Serve It Up” category, but I’m still waiting. When did you receive yours, Karson?

-- Charlie M. "Woodworking - patience = firewood"

I received it today Charlie 9/17/2008.

View Critterman's profile

Critterman

Hey Congrats, I have a similar set, another brand, I picked up at the woodworking show in Richmond a couple of years ago. I love mine, it is very handy, I know you’ll love it….congrats again.

-- Jim Hallada, Chesterfield, VA

View Grumpy's profile

Grumpy

19313 posts in 2448 days

Very neat prize Karson & congratulations.

-- Grumpy - "Always look on the bright side of life"- Monty Python

View Bob #2's profile

Bob #2

I’d love to win one of those too but I have to wait til you and Gary go on vacation! <vbg> Nice prize, nice write up!

Bob

-- A mind, like a home, is furnished by its owner

View CharlieM1958's profile

CharlieM1958

Ahhh…I got home from work and mine was here too. Can’t wait to try it out!

-- Charlie M. "Woodworking - patience = firewood"

View john's profile

john

Congrats to you Karson and Charlie , Very well deserved .

-- John in Belgrave (Website) http://www.extremebirdhouse.com , http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=112698715866

View Douglas Bordner's profile

Douglas Bordner

What John said!

-- "Bordnerizing" perfectly good lumber for over a decade.

View CaptnA's profile

CaptnA

congratulations to you guys~
you earned them use them in great health!!!

-- CaptnA - "When someone hurts you, write it in the sand so the winds of forgiveness will scatter the memory... "

View alanealane's profile

alanealane

I’ve got the DeWalt version. Works well. Has 4-cutter countersinks also. Got a good deal on it at Harbor Freight—$8.99+tax. Regular price around $40. Only had 4 on the shelf & I bought 2.

Once you use your Jack Rabbit on a project, you’ll really see how handy these little tools are. You’re gonna love it! Norm Abram uses this product!!

-- Lane Custom Guitars and Basses

View jockmike2's profile

jockmike2

Congrats Karson and Charlie and Gary. You all deserved them. I’m glad you liked them. It’s a wonder you found something you don’t have Karson, I thought you had about everytool out there. LOL. Nice review by the by.

-- (You just have to please the man in the Mirror) Mike from Michigan -

I didn’t say I didn’t have one Mike. In fact I have three other sets. I just didn’t have the JackRabbit one.

And I’ve already broke one of the drill bits. It started to spin in the collett and in tightening it I guess I put a little extra side torque on it and it broke. Left the drill bit in the kitchen cabinet. Ansd I pulled out a different set. A Montana set.

View Rick's profile

Rick

I have one of these as well. I don’t use it on fine work because there is a little too much wobble in the drill bit. It’s absolutely perfect for everything else though.