Taking a chance on some known issues...

Review by MrZ2u posted 02-02-2015 02:57 PM 12035 views 0 times favorited 34 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Taking a chance on some known issues... No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

It took some doing but I convinced SWMBO that I needed this…and that she should buy it for me as an anniversary+birthday gift…and since she wants me to build some cabinets for a recess in our new home and that I REALLY needed it because my other say ‘aint cutting straight anymore…must have got damaged in the move” Didn’t really feel like the effort to explain how the portable plastic body cheap-o I have really aint up to the tasks I am about to ask of it and so on and so forth. Pick your battles.

Its out in the garage yelling at me now to put it together but I have no time tonight and I wanted to register it for the LSA right away so I didn’t forget and miss the window as I did with my band saw!

So, I will give a play by play at some point but more than that I am posting this tonight because I practically have a stiffy from the purchase experience. I called around to find a HD in the Austin area that had one in stock. Found two. Asked on the phone of the lad at the customer service desk if it was true that they took competitor coupons. “Yes, we do” Me, “what about ones from Harbor Freight?” Him, “yep, we take theirs too”, Me, “what was your name again?” and after it was all said and done what should have been $574 after tax was $458! Needless to say, I am kinda jazzed. I realize this is both the aforementioned gifts in one but in the end, the money she is buying me gifts with is mine anyway so less is better !!!

Never hurts to ask for the disco!!!

Now to loose sleep thinking about Christmas morning on 1-31-15 and praying the dreaded blade alignment issues are not lurking in that heavy muther of a box in the garage :)

update

I couldnt wait so I put it all together the very night I bought it. Since then its been used a few times and I dont see any issues that are not just ‘tuning’ things. I think the fence might be just a hair off 90. Blade alignment seems fine, certainly good enough for my current needs and miles apart from the saw this replaced. I will fine tune things a little when I find my dial gauge (we just moved and not everything has been unpacked and assigned a new home) and after chewing through some scrap to get things ‘broken in’ a little. I live in a new development so I have piles of scrap available :)

So, the 5 Star rating I have given it I feel is fair but admittedly subjective.

#1 posted 02-02-2015 04:38 PM

So the blade alignment issue does not appear present on mine…unless there is something I am missing. Anyone out there with that particular problem have any tips on how to induce it to show up?

View fuzzface's profile

fuzzface

67 posts in 1957 days

#2 posted 02-02-2015 04:42 PM

Damned acronyms are driving me crazy. I’ll bite. What is SWMBO ??

-- I'm a LumberJock and I'm OK.............. I sleep all night and I work all day !!

View Book's profile

Book

#3 posted 02-02-2015 05:06 PM

So, which coupon did you use?

#4 posted 02-02-2015 05:13 PM

- fuzzface

She Who Must Be Obeyed :)

So, which coupon did you use? I fully realize I got lucky on this. I would never really expect this as any sort of normal behavior. Still, never hurts to ask :)

- Book

20% off any one item, online and just showed my phone.

View gtbuzz's profile

gtbuzz

#5 posted 02-02-2015 06:52 PM

There’s 2 alignment problems that have plagued the 4512

The more obvious one is a shifting issue. When you raise the blade, it tends to shift away from the miter slot (or towards, I can’t remember exactly what mine did), about 1/8 of an inch or so. If you remember to back it down it goes back into alignment, but it’s a pain to have to remember all the time. Mine didn’t shift evenly from front to back so, so that was a bigger issue.

As far as the actual alignment issue, these saws have a tendency to shift themselves out of alignment with the miter slot. You could measure the parallelism with a combination square and shims, but it’s much better to do it with a dial indicator. A good number to look for is +/- 0.003 between front and back. Mine came about 0.008, and I managed to get it to +/- 0.001, but unfortunately it didn’t last. No matter how much I tried to crank down the trunnion bolts, it always settled back between 0.010 – 0.012. I’m of the opinion that process variation is a large culprit to the alignment issue, in addition to this trunnion design having a tendency to settle back into a certain spot. It kind of explains why this issue seems to be hit and miss as well as why adjusting the trunnions doesn’t seem to fix the problem permanently.

The Grizzly 715 has the exact same trunnion design and you see far fewer incidents of alignment issues with those saws. I’d have to imagine that Grizzly QC is a lot stricter than Ridgid’s.

Hopefully yours doesn’t exhibit any of these issues.

#6 posted 02-02-2015 07:58 PM

First:

I had trouble getting the fence parts to be straight, Ridgid sent me replacements that were better, I ended up sanding the spot where they met, so the fence would cross it.

Second:
Ripping was very hard, I thought it was my thin kerf blade, so I full kerf Freud ripping blade. It was a little better, but I still had to push and it made a rubbing noise and burned my oak pretty badly. I even tripped the breaker a few times. I could adjust the blade, but raising or lowering it made it shift.

Third:
The fence moves when tightening the lever, if I leaned on it a few inches up the fence it was reduced.

I decided I will never have a saw with a two part fence or 2 point attachment, so when I got my sawstop I got the 36 inch T glide.

It never burns or trips the breaker even with the same white oak.

Ranting Rich will be a long soon to give his opinion, I bet.

-- I always suspected many gun nuts were afraid of something, just never thought popcorn was on the list.

#7 posted 02-02-2015 08:01 PM

- fuzzface

That’s not an acronym, just initials. You have to be able to pronounce it as a word for it to be an acronym.

SCUBA can be pronounced, FBI can’t be, so it is sounded out.

#8 posted 02-02-2015 08:16 PM

- fuzzface

That s not an acronym, just initials. You have to be able to pronounce it as a word for it to be an acronym.

SCUBA can be pronounced, FBI can t be, so it is sounded out.

- RobS888

Well technically this one kind of is an acronym. Swim Beau :)

...its a peeve of mine as well though. Not as bad as premise vs premises :)

#9 posted 02-02-2015 08:53 PM

- fuzzface

SCUBA can be pronounced, FBI can t be, so it is sounded out.

- RobS888

Well technically this one kind of is an acronym. Swim Beau :)

...its a peeve of mine as well though. Not as bad as premise vs premises :)

- MrZ2u

How about Peruse? It meant study, but so many people misunderstood, that now it has both to skim and study as meanings! Or the pronunciation of Forte?

#10 posted 02-02-2015 09:09 PM

yeah, lets not get this started :) !

View bigJohninvegas's profile

bigJohninvegas

#11 posted 02-03-2015 05:02 AM

Hello, and welcome to ridgid saw owners anonymous. lol.
I have had this saw for about 1 1/2 years, and am happy with it. I have had some alignment
issues, but they were all resolved with adjustments. Most everything on this saw is adjustable, and mine
was not at all straight out of box. Be patient, read and understand all the things that can be fine tuned and I think you will be happy. Remember that its not a big commercial saw, and that at times you have to be easy with what you ask of it. It will make every cut a commercial saw stop will do. Just not as fast. Don’t force it.

RobS888, someday I hope to afford that saw stop. I have access to a shop that has them. I think they are the best.
I still consider myself to be new to woodworking, and had the help of pros to fine tune my ridgid saw.

-- John

View Garbanzolasvegas's profile

Garbanzolasvegas

#12 posted 02-04-2015 04:15 AM

I don’t know about ranting rich but Garbanzo Las Vegas will chime in. I got tired of trying to ZERO my Rip fence on this monster after I stripped two of four square nuts used in the 2 part fence. This fence is very complicated it’s like an aircraft. Yaw pitch and roll, with only rude adjustents Lie trying to sad just a microscope with a sledgehammer. Many different settings and with such a poor mechanically engineered tool it’s a nightmare.

I went out and got some steel stock to make new square nuts and new metric allen bolts I drilled and taped the new steel square nuts and went to work.

After two days I got a flat straight rip fence.

No one should have to do this. I mean WTF!!!!!

Also the way you set up the rip fence guides is very important. You have to do it perfectly A little to high your stock will ride up high on the Rip fence guide. To low and the fence to CLANK on the edge of the cast iron fence.

All the way around this tool is no better than the NASA shuttle program. A complete, utter and complete disaster!

Home Cheapo should pay YOU to take this out of their inventory.

DOnt walk away RUN AWAY as you set fire to the display

-- If you don't Play, you can't win

View Garbanzolasvegas's profile

Garbanzolasvegas

#13 posted 02-04-2015 04:19 AM

Rob.. They are dong amazing things with metal health these days. You might want to look into it. In my own humble opinion

-- If you don't Play, you can't win

View Mark Davisson's profile

Mark Davisson

#14 posted 02-04-2015 02:31 PM

Seems like a 5-star rating is being pretty generous to a saw that has not yet been taken out of the box.

-- I'm selfless because it feels so good!

#15 posted 02-04-2015 03:09 PM

- Mark Davisson

...ever notice that little red “edit” button? Guessing not.