FastCap Gave Me The Finger ...

Review by TheDane posted 01-31-2015 12:19 AM 4984 views 0 times favorited 35 comments Add to Favorites Watch
FastCap Gave Me The Finger ... FastCap Gave Me The Finger ... FastCap Gave Me The Finger ... Click the pictures to enlarge them

... and I like it!

A few weeks ago, I responded to a promotional email from FastCap and they sent me their new ’11th Finger’ for free.

Some people here on LJ’s scoffed at it, but I actually kind of like it. It stands within easy reach on my saw’s fence or the table, and works as well as any other push stick I have ever used.

There is one downside … the two rare-earth magnets in the base are just friction fit and can come out if you mistakenly lay the ‘11th Finger’ down instead of standing it upright.

This is a useful product, and I thank FastCap for making it available!

View TheDane's profile

TheDane

View Buckethead's profile

Buckethead

#1 posted 01-31-2015 12:32 AM

Looks like a useful product in that it’s always right there in easy reach, daring you to push that workpiece through with your fingers.

-- Support woodworking hand models. Buy me a sawstop.

View cutmantom's profile

cutmantom

#2 posted 01-31-2015 01:07 AM

My magnets came out and I couldn’t find them for a while, FastCap offered to send me new magnets at no charge but I did find them, now I am looking for a solution to keep them in there, crazy glue, hot glue ????

View Rob's profile

Rob

#3 posted 01-31-2015 01:40 AM

Thanks for the review. It looks like you can still get one if you go to their website and sign up for their mailing list.

-- Ask an expert or be the expert - http://woodworking.stackexchange.com

#4 posted 01-31-2015 04:51 AM

Looks like a useful tool, hot glue might work

-- Norman - I never never make a mistake, I just change the design.

#5 posted 01-31-2015 05:27 AM

Hi everyone it’s Paul Akers from fastcap So sorry for any inconvenience on the 11 finger. A few details we have shipped thousands of them and for the most part everyone loves them but the design is such that the magnets are pulling towards one another holding them together inside The recess on each side. We use them every day in our woodshop and we have never had a single problem. Having said that we always put the pushed stick back on top of the fence standing up. If we laid it down potentially the magnets could get sucked out onto the metal surface. The design Is such that it forces you to use it correctly. In doing so you enhance safety dramatically because the push stick is always where it needs to be and you’re never risking pushing the wood through with your finger because the push stick is not where it needs to be. You can glue the magnets in but it kind of defeats the purpose. We are happy to send anyone new magnets if they have any problems at no charge. You can email me directly or call our 800-number and we will take care of you. Paul@fastcap.com 888 443 3748 anyone can receive and 11 finger at no charge by simply going up in signing up for our newsletter.. Just as a sidenote they are all made in the USA and we are making over 500 a day.

View BilltheDiver's profile

BilltheDiver

#6 posted 01-31-2015 04:00 PM

Mine came in the mail this week. I like the looks of it.

-- "Measure twice, cut once, count fingers"

View patcollins's profile

patcollins

#7 posted 02-01-2015 02:10 AM

That is kind of neat,

Shoo Goo works great for holding in rare earth magnets, best glue ever made for things that are not wood.

View wbrisett's profile

wbrisett

#8 posted 02-01-2015 12:47 PM

I’m such a fan of the Glue-Bot that I decided to see whether the 11 finger was also in the category. I got mine in the mail this week (thanks FastCap). The bottom line is I’ll use it, but it’s not in the wickedly awesome category that the glue-bot is. But I still find it useful. As others have stated, my magnets have also come out, but only once and that was when I dropped it on the ground and they quickly attached themselves to the body of my unisaw. ;)

View clieb91's profile

clieb91

#9 posted 02-01-2015 01:32 PM

Got mine as well. Have yet to fire up the saw though since I got it. Since the top of my saw is not magnetic I have it hanging from the ductwork over the saw in easy reach.

CtL

-- Chris L. "Don't Dream it, Be it."- PortablePastimes.com (Purveyors of Portable Fun and Fidgets)

#10 posted 02-01-2015 02:27 PM

We had a couple guys who had contractor saws with no metal everything was made out of aluminum simply take a large fender washer and glue it to the fence to create a magnetic spot for the 11th finger.

#11 posted 02-03-2015 01:10 AM

Hi everyone Paul Akers hear from FastCap I made a quick little video to explain how the magnets work in the 11 finger http://youtu.be/1qqfI9aY5hs

View Rob's profile

Rob

#12 posted 02-03-2015 01:18 AM

Paul, it’s really great of you to stop by and clarify the clever design. Sometimes I wonder whether certain design elements are intentional or incidental, but this one is subtle enough that I’m not sure if I would have realized it was intentional. Maybe the packaging can clarify the design; otherwise I’m sure the YouTube video will help. Keep up the great work!

-- Ask an expert or be the expert - http://woodworking.stackexchange.com

#13 posted 02-03-2015 01:26 AM

Good Point Rob we will see what we can do!!

If you magnets come out insert the magnets so they pull towards each other…they should like each other:)

View kajunkraft's profile

kajunkraft

#14 posted 02-03-2015 02:12 AM

Today I received my second 11th Finger, unsolicited. With the second one the magnets do not come out. I have been more than impressed with Fast Cap after spending some time on their website. What a fascinating company! The variety of products they have is much greater than I had imagined. And their prices are, IMHO, pretty reasonable.

It does not surprise me that Fast Cap would “automatically” send out the new & improved version. They seem to be the kind of company that will always do the right thing. This despite what must be a significant expense.

You ought to see the video of the owner cleaning the rest rooms in their facility.

View TheDane's profile

TheDane

#15 posted 02-03-2015 02:16 AM

I have a number of FastCap products in the shop … they do a lot of very innovative and useful products that I can actually afford to own!