CMT 8" Dado Set

Review by RWR posted 09-16-2008 10:46 PM 8871 views 0 times favorited 17 comments Add to Favorites Watch
CMT 8" Dado Set CMT 8" Dado Set No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I purchased this dado set to help build a free standing router station. Had to make many dado’s and
rabbets. I knew my old Sear’s steel set was not up to the task, especially on expensive cabinet grade
birch plywood. So after reviewing several sets and finding this set on sale at Amazon it was a no brainer for
me.
This set gives very flat bottoms and zero chipout on the 3/4” and 1/2” plywood that I was using. It also
has the 1/16” and 3/32” chippers to compensate for plywood that is seldom ever 3/4” anymore (mine included). I don’t pretend to have a great deal of knowledge on dado sets since I was moving up from
a cheap Sears set. I would definately reccomend this dado set and would certainly buy it again if ever
it became necessary.

View teenagewoodworker's profile

teenagewoodworker

#1 posted 09-16-2008 11:41 PM

cool. i have a cmt 8” too and i love it! its amazing.

View DaveH's profile

DaveH

#2 posted 09-16-2008 11:43 PM

I have a grizzly set and have been happy so far.

-- DaveH - Boise, Idaho - “How hard can it be? It's only wood!”

View Don Newton's profile

Don Newton

#3 posted 09-17-2008 06:17 PM

Actually, I have the 8” Sears carbide tipped dado set and use it all the time with no complaints.

-- Don, Pittsburgh

View spaids's profile

spaids

#4 posted 09-17-2008 11:01 PM

I have the Freud 8” Pro Dado Set. It was $100. Its just ok. If you were planing on cutting anything with it that would be visible then you would have to go through your groves with a shoulder plane or something because it definitely leaves scratch lines from the not so flat ground teeth. It comes with several shims so you can get within a 64th so thats cool.

-- Wipe the blood stains from your blade before coming in.--

View Chris 's profile

Chris

#5 posted 09-20-2008 02:26 AM

I did not have the same poor experience with the dado pro set. I get spotless dado’s with it….

View GaryK's profile

GaryK

#6 posted 09-20-2008 04:01 AM

I have the SD508 Freud set and maybe that extra $70+ makes the difference. It works great!

View Chris 's profile

Chris

#7 posted 09-20-2008 02:58 PM

That’s what I get for not paying attention… Let me restate my comment: I have the CMT Dado Pro set and it gives spotless performance… NOT the Freud Dado Pro

#8 posted 09-21-2008 12:50 AM

My TS is 30mm bore. I there any Dado Cutter retailer/supplier in US that having “reboring” service?
I’ve made on-line dado cutter retailers’ search in UK.., the price ….ouch!

#9 posted 09-21-2008 07:26 PM

Woodworm,

You might try Ridge Carbide Tools, they make their own sawblades and might be willing to make
you a sawblade with a 30mm bore. Good luck.

#10 posted 09-23-2008 01:41 AM

Thank you for the link Wayne.
Waiting for reply from them if they have boring service.
Take care and work safe.

View sIKE's profile

sIKE

#11 posted 09-23-2008 02:47 AM

You might try Forest they might punch it out for you.

-- //FC - Round Rock, TX - "Experience is what you get just after you need it"

#12 posted 09-23-2008 06:29 PM

Thanks sIke,
I’ve checked it in their website. They do have dado set boring service. 30mm bore with fedler pin holes for $80 and 1” for $35. Saves me a lot than buy direct from the manufacturer of my TS.

Thanks.

View Grumpy's profile

Grumpy

19453 posts in 2503 days

#13 posted 09-24-2008 09:37 AM

I have a CMT set & am happy with it.

-- Grumpy - "Always look on the bright side of life"- Monty Python

View jcees's profile

jcees

#14 posted 09-25-2008 04:11 AM

I’ve got a CMT 8” dado set and I love it too. BUT, as a card carrying tool junkie, I’ve had my eye on that adjustable Freud model… she sure looks purty….

Always,
J.C.

-- When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world. -- John Muir

#15 posted 09-25-2008 06:34 PM

Jcees,

I guess I will have to wait awhile to buy any more “tool stuff” since I just bought the CMT and
a 14” Rikon bandsaw. Is the Frued set the one with the adjustible ring where you don’t have
have to take off the blade to adjust width, etc. ??

Wayne