Pruner May be Only Chainsaw You Need

Review by Ick posted 2163 days ago 7354 views 0 times favorited 9 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Pruner May be Only Chainsaw You Need No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I’ve been an owner of a Stihl 16” chainsaw for years. I have 50 acres that has substantial amount of Blackjack Oaks. These trees typically stay until 14” in diameter at the base, so the 16” bar has always been more than enough.

A couple of years ago, my wife treated me to a new Stihl Pruner. I’ve been so impressed with this tool that my old standard chainsaw rarely gets used. Whereas I thought the pruner would be a specialty saw, I find myself reaching for it first (and probably using it in situations where the other saw is more apprpriate). I could see for many people that this would be the only saw they would need.

The model that I have is sold as individual components:
- Cutting head is a 3ft section that contains a 10” bar and oiling tank.
- Fixed Length extensions. These are 3 ft. extensions and you can use none, 1, or 2 extensions.
- Power Unit. Various size engines to cover a wide range from occassional to professional use.

Reflecting on my experiences with it, this is what I would pass on:

Safety
- Pruners by their nature should make the operator feel safer. You’re several feet from the cutter, and standing firmly on the ground.
- But, also due to it’s length, I prefer to work alone. My wife normally drags brush for me, and I just have her work in a totally different area, if at all.

Setup
- The modular setup allows for configuring just what you need. Each of the sections has a drive shaft. The only issue I’ve ever had is that the sections need to fit together very tightly, or the connectors between the drive shafts will not seat properly. Stihl assists in have tape on the extensionis marking when you have a section fully engaged, but the more sections you add, the more precise you need to be with making sure that you are fully seated. Even 1/8” will cause you to not get power to the cutting head. It’s easily remedied by making sure there is nothing obstructing the connection and reseating each section.

Operating Tips
- The item that caught me most by surprise, but makes perfect sense after using the tool, is the more extensions you have, the more torque you subject your body to. If I use both of my extensions, I have a pruner that is about 12’ in overall length. I’m 5’ 10” and this is a beast to man-handle. I’m only good for about 20 minutes, and I need a break; or I need to drop an extension. So, you need to pre-plan your work. I like to use all of the extensions, when I’m freshest; but I focus on the high stuff. I get the extra extension off and then come back to the same tree and trim the shorter stuff.
- The first item should give you a clue about thinking you’d gain extra height by working on a ladder—DON’T. I’ve worked out of a pickup bed, but you definitely need good footing.
- Another issue with having all of the extensions, is that there is some flex. You have to have a fair amount of strength to hold the cutter at the right amount of pressure to keep it from just digging in and binding. If you just let the weight drop on the limb, you’ll bind the chain.
- Without any extensions, it’s still about 6 ft long, which works well for cutting up larger pieces and is almost like a regular chain saw. I wouldn’t use it to cut a stump off flush with the ground, but I’ll get it within a foot, as long as the 10” bar is enough.

This is my 4th Stihl implement (2 chain saws and a weed eater) over a 25 year period. This is by far the easiest to start as they’ve gotten progressively better. One major advantage with this one over my regular chain saw is that the air filter on the regular saw needs to have sawdust cleaned off at each refuel. Since the air filter is 6 ft. from the cutter, this is never an issue.

-- Craig, Oklahoma

View Ick's profile

Ick

View jwreels's profile

jwreels

I have a similar pruner and love it. Like you said, I grab that more often than my chainsaw now.

View teenagewoodworker's profile

teenagewoodworker

cool! i have a stihl leaf blower and they make a real nice product there!

View CaptnA's profile

CaptnA

not a stihl promoter but I could be! blower/ chainsaws/ weedeater here and same at work
they make a quality product and these are no exception
I don’t own one of these but have access to one and have used it several times
can certainly be the tool for the job.
good write up!

-- CaptnA - "When someone hurts you, write it in the sand so the winds of forgiveness will scatter the memory... "

View brianinpa's profile

brianinpa

Craig,
I have to agree with you on the pruner. One of the organizations I volunteer with is a local park with 110 acres and over half of it is wooded. We had one of these (new) donated to the park by a Doctor that saw another volunteer using a hand pruner. Ours is the adjustable pole version and it is nice to be able to reach a little further than the pole and arms length. I too find myself reaching for the pruner when the chain saw would be better suited, but the pruner works real well.

-- Brian, Lebanon PA, If you aren’t having fun doing it, find something else to do.

Avg cost ??

View Ick's profile

Ick

I think the extensions were about $60 ea.; the cutting head was about $150. At the time that I got mine (about 4 years ago), Stihl had 3 different engines that you could strap on it. I think the cheapest was about $120, the middle was $180 (which is what I got), and then a commercial model at $250.

I also think that Stihl has since branched out and has other heads (like a hedge trimmer and maybe a small tiller) that would run off of a common power unit.

-- Craig, Oklahoma

woodcrafter47

I just priced out this unit Satuday at our local Maple Festival and it was a bit steep. $599.95
and I think that it was a bit heavy to use too much fully extended.

View Gregn's profile

Gregn

I bought a Remington electric model that I have fallen in love with. Now I have to hide it cause the kids are wanting to borrow it. LOL

-- I don't make mistakes, I have great learning lessons, Greg

woodcrafter47

I bought one at Tractor Supply and only $179.00 on sale ,with weed whacker and chainsaw also bought the hedge trimmer ,which works really good at wal-mart. Have used it a lot and am well pleased .