SawStop Customer Service

Review by RobS888 posted 01-28-2015 07:39 PM 9603 views 0 times favorited 19 comments Add to Favorites Watch
SawStop Customer Service No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I purchased my saw in December and had some vibration problems, that re-tightening all the stand bolts mostly eliminated, but hey this is an $1,800 saw, so since I’m home this week, on Monday I filled out a service ticket on the website and got an email later in the day asking if it was just during slowdown, I said no always when on, a tech called me at 11:00 on Tuesday (yesterday) and had me do some tests with the belt disconnected from the motor and it still vibrated, so he said that the motor was unbalanced and that he would send another motor and pulley. Cool!

Just now I got a huge box with a motor, pulley, blade cartridge, and platinum crosscut blade. All next day air! The box was about 40 lbs, I can’t imagine how much that cost to ship 40 lbs overnight from Portland to Baltimore.

I’m very impressed.

Anyone interested in a slightly used, slightly unbalanced 1.75 hp sawstop motor?

-- I always suspected many gun nuts were afraid of something, just never thought popcorn was on the list.

View Andre's profile

Andre

2130 posts in 1978 days

#1 posted 01-28-2015 07:47 PM

Not a knock against Saw stop, but if I paid that much for a tool and it came defective no way would it get 5 stars?

-- Lifting one end of the plank.

#2 posted 01-28-2015 08:21 PM

- rad457

Technically, I was rating the service. I would give the saw 10 stars.

Is that a Golden Doodle?

View JoeinGa's profile

JoeinGa

#3 posted 01-28-2015 08:44 PM

If they dont want that motor back, I’m SURE you can find a use for it!

-- Perform A Random Act Of Kindness Today ... Pay It Forward

#4 posted 01-28-2015 09:46 PM

- rad457

Its impossible to prevent quality issues from going out the door. So if that’s your requirement, no product in existence could ever get 5 stars. In my day job I’m an electrical engineer for class III medical devices… even with strict regulation and millions of dollars spent on quality control, defects and malfunctions happen once in a great while…

What’s important is that it was made right.

#5 posted 01-28-2015 10:05 PM

Its impossible to prevent quality issues from going out the door. So if that s your requirement, no product in existence could ever get 5 stars. In my day job I m an electrical engineer for class III medical devices… even with strict regulation and millions of dollars spent on quality control, defects and malfunctions happen once in a great while…

What s important is that it was made right.

- Marshall

Exactly!

I just checked and Portland to Baltimore over night standard (on fedex website) $316 dollars, plus a blade $50, plus a cartridge, $70, plus the motor, at least $100 (I’m guessing), so $520 to make it right, they didn’t ask me about shipping, so I expected to get it next week. They could have saved $150 and got it me Friday.

This puts them in Lee Valley territory for me.

View Mark Davisson's profile

Mark Davisson

#6 posted 01-28-2015 10:48 PM

What s important is that it was made right.

- Marshall

It’s impossible to prevent quality issues from going out the door on all saws, but a person receiving an $1,800 saw that does have quality issues might be inclined to give it less than 5 stars. I would expect a customer with a class III medical device that has defects and malfunctions, as rare as those customers might be, to give their device, as a reviewer, less than a perfect score.

I would have to agree with the OP that the customer service provided to him was outstanding.

-- I'm selfless because it feels so good!

View Paul Lajoie's profile

Paul Lajoie

#7 posted 01-28-2015 11:18 PM

I have the pro 1 3/4hp and love it, no problems. Wish I got one earlier. Please let us no if the new motor and pulley helps with the vibrations.

#8 posted 01-28-2015 11:44 PM

Usually they just hire a lawyer.

#9 posted 01-28-2015 11:45 PM

Usually they just hire a lawyer.

View CL810's profile

CL810

#10 posted 01-29-2015 06:25 PM

My experience with Saw Stop service is 5+ Star as well. They are extremely knowledgeable about their products and easy to talk with. No arrogant or this is beneath me attitude from them at all. And I’m with the Rob, the saw gets 10 stars.

-- "The only limits to our realization of tomorrow will be our doubts of today." - FDR

View JJohnston's profile

JJohnston

#11 posted 01-30-2015 02:08 AM

I must be the only one, then. My Industrial model groans and vibrates when the blade is lowered. All they could, or would, do is say, “put some grease on it”. So I put grease on it, and it lasts a couple of up/down trips, then starts groaning again.

-- "A man may conduct himself well in both adversity and good fortune, but if you want to test his character, give him power." - Abraham Lincoln

#12 posted 01-30-2015 03:11 AM

- JJohnston

Well, sounds significantly different… The vibration was always there. Do you blow out the insides often?
I blow air in whenever I have the blade plate off (ZCI) Helps that the compressor is under the right wing and I can grab the nozzle easily. My Ridgid probably was better at containing dust than the sawstop, but that is the only thing it beat it at.

View JJohnston's profile

JJohnston

#13 posted 01-31-2015 10:58 PM

Probably not often enough.

View pneufab's profile

pneufab

#14 posted 01-31-2015 11:20 PM

I had an issue where I could not retract the blade all the way down (or move it up all the way). I finally went into the case and cleaned a bit of saw dust off of the worm gear with a nylon brush and that’s all it took to fix it. It’s amazing what a little saw dust in the wrong spot can do. Honestly, I forgot the side opened up, that’s how infrequently I opened the case… haha

View Sawdustmaker115's profile

Sawdustmaker115

#15 posted 02-01-2015 01:06 AM

I have to also say sawstop’s customer service is really good!
I had set of a brake cartridge by accident(totally my fault). I figured I’d just give them a call and they ended up sending me two new cartridges overnight for free.

-- Anthony--http://knottywoodshop.weebly.com/