Simpson StrongTies

Review by Tim_456 posted 09-12-2008 04:10 AM 2149 views 2 times favorited 9 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Simpson StrongTies Simpson StrongTies No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

This isn’t really a woodworking tool however I’ve never seem them referenced in any magazines or online so I thought I’d toss it up here. If you’re not familiar with these go to your local big box store. Simpson Strongties are metal connectors in various shapes. Mainly used in the building trades a few of these connectors can be used to make shelves and even workbenches.

Anyway, they’re a bit pricey but they make a quick work of building shelves and benches. Also, the structures they make are rock solid. Toss some wheels on the bottom and you can move ‘em around too.

I found myself looking at all the woodworking tool bench plans in various magazines and I realized that to build the benches I would need a bench. I lowered my expectations for a beutiful bench and ended up wtih some 2×4s and plywood and some of these. About 2 hours later I had a ROCK solid bench that will last a lifetime.

View Tim_456's profile

Tim_456

View oldskoolmodder's profile

oldskoolmodder

#1 posted 09-12-2008 04:43 AM

These are great products. I’ve got a whole box full of various strong ties. Here’s a little tip. If you have a Habitat for Humanity Re-Store near you, they almost always have SOME kind of these strong ties, for dirt cheap. I’ve seen them as low as $5 for a box of 24-25. That’s cheaper than one costs at the big box stores.

-- Respect your shop tools and they will respect you - Ric

View Denappy's profile

Denappy

#2 posted 09-12-2008 05:48 AM

Agree, my current bench is constructed with the strong ties; rock solid for sure. Like the idea of added the wheels!

-- -=Den

View Steve2's profile

Steve2

#3 posted 09-12-2008 06:00 AM

Simpson publishes plans for numerous homeowner things like this that can be built with their products normally intended for construction. See their web site

-- Regards, Steve2

View Derek Lyons's profile

Derek Lyons

#4 posted 09-12-2008 08:31 AM

The projects are linked off of http://www.strongtie.com/products/categories/diy.html

-- Derek, Bremerton WA --

View JimJ's profile

JimJ

#5 posted 09-12-2008 06:52 PM

I may do the same thing. I have been putting off making my workbench because I was waiting to get my new table saw. I just got it assembled today and, thanks to your post, I’m now thinking about making it a Strongtie bench…

-- JimJ - Oakton, VA

View PaBull's profile

PaBull

#6 posted 09-16-2008 01:15 AM

Looks good, Tim. This way you get going on your woodworking faster.

-- rhykenologist and plant grower

View Bob #2's profile

Bob #2

#7 posted 09-16-2008 01:27 AM

Good on ya Tim.

It’s what gets it done that counts.

Pretty benches are primarily for rich folks that don’t do much woodwork.

There are exceptions but few.

Bob

-- A mind, like a home, is furnished by its owner

View Grumpy's profile

Grumpy

19693 posts in 2598 days

#8 posted 09-16-2008 09:07 AM

Very sturdy looking ties Tim.

-- Grumpy - "Always look on the bright side of life"- Monty Python

View Randolph Torres's profile

Randolph Torres

#9 posted 09-30-2008 09:47 PM

Oldschoolmodder: That company has come a long long way now they have a whole catalogue of strong ties for any application you can dream up. Most of the larger Hardware stores carry a good selection. Its like playing with the old fashioned Errector Set. Another company that has come a long way is Unistrut they also have many shop adaptable hardware components. With those two product lines you could design anything you could imagine in your shop, solid,and totally abusable.

-- another tip from cooperedpatterns