Great spray system

Review by Toolman61 posted 09-08-2008 05:01 AM 5960 views 0 times favorited 18 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Great spray system No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I purchased an Earlex 5000 when Woodcraft had them on sale. I have been frustrated with the newer fast drying brush type varnishes and enamels, so I broke down and bought a spray system. Best money I have spent in a long time. The first spray job was with Ben Moore semi gloss Aura which is a high end latex paint. I had to use bm 518 extender at the rate of 10 to 12 ounces per quart of paint, but the look is like glass. I sprayed 2 textured interior doors and the base and casing in a new room. Very little overspray, not a problem at all. I sprayed 2 coats waiting 3 hours between coats. The masking took 3 hours, but only 40 minutes per coat. Brushing would have been 3 hours per coat and not as good of finished. Today I sprayed Bin oil based primer on cabinets, and the results were the same. I am using the 2.0 MM needle whitch atomizes thined latex paint fine. This is so forgiving, there is no reason not to get a professional job. I would recommend this to anyone who paints trim and furniture.

View Steve2's profile

Steve2

#1 posted 09-08-2008 05:28 AM

Doen’t appear to be an HVLP system – is that why they were on sale to close them out? What state are you in? Please share the approximate cost. Thanks.

-- Regards, Steve2

View PurpLev's profile

PurpLev

#2 posted 09-08-2008 05:12 PM

Nice!

Marc also had a video review on this particular model, and he seemed to have really liked it and got real good results with it.

which woodcraft had those on sale? if the price is within budget -I’d definitely get one of those, as brushing finishes takes forever, and I personally don’t have the time for that (especially larger pieces)

-- ㊍ When in doubt - There is no doubt - Go the safer route.

View FloridaUFGator's profile

FloridaUFGator

#3 posted 09-08-2008 07:49 PM

I’ve owned one for about 6 months and absolutely love it. I’ve only sprayed paint with it thus far but the results are fantastic. This is the only sprayer I’ve owned so I can only compare the results to my expectations. The clean up isn’t that bad.

-- ...and remember this: there is no more important safety rule than to wear these — safety glasses - Norm Abram

View Steve2's profile

Steve2

#4 posted 09-08-2008 08:14 PM

I saw the Earlex video and it is excellent. The unit is entry level and as said so often, you get what you pay for.

-- Regards, Steve2

View SteveV's profile

SteveV

#5 posted 09-08-2008 11:58 PM

Molly, are you saying the unit performs like a chap $300 unit should? I have used expensive sprayers and this one easily lives up to those other save a few bells and whistles.

Steve

View Brad_Nailor's profile

Brad_Nailor

#6 posted 09-09-2008 01:23 AM

So, is this an HVLP sprayer or not?

-- http://www.facebook.com/pages/DSO-Designs/297237806954248

#7 posted 09-09-2008 02:57 AM

Yes this is an HVLP with its own turbine. Woodcraft had this as an introductory offer at $275, This may be an entry level unit, but it fit my needs better and easier to use than a $900 Graco airless that I previously owned. One of the neatest things about this is you can vary the amount of paint with hardly any overspray. Well worth the price. Go to earlex.com for specifications or woodcraft.com to order.

#8 posted 09-09-2008 03:34 AM

This is a nice review. I have one of these and use it for spraying shellac and polyurethane. It does use more material than brushing but the time savings is wonderful. The finish coat it puts down is even and a vast improvement over my brushing technique. I would highly recommend this one as well.

View Brad_Nailor's profile

Brad_Nailor

#9 posted 09-09-2008 04:23 AM

Cool. Thanks for the info and the great review. I have been considering one of these..I think it would be well worth the investment in time saved not brushing and a great improvement on finish quality. And you don’t need a giant compressor to run it either!

-- http://www.facebook.com/pages/DSO-Designs/297237806954248

View teenagewoodworker's profile

teenagewoodworker

#10 posted 09-10-2008 03:09 AM

nice! this spray systems been getting a lot of good reviews! i really like to see a tool be succesful and this one sure has been! thanks for the review.

#11 posted 09-13-2008 02:37 AM

JM: I am interested in spraying WB (waterborne) conversion varnish or WB lacquer for some furniture I am building. What brand do you prefer? Can you get it tinted such as with nitrocellulose lacquer? How was the finish? How many coats? Thanks for the info.

View DonJ's profile

DonJ

#12 posted 11-01-2008 12:51 AM

Here’s an update: The current Woodcraft flyer has them at $300. I recently found them on the internet for $262 postage paid and no tax. Can’t remember right now where I got it, but if anyone is interested, let me know and I will look it up.

-- Don, San Antonio, TX

View kefob1's profile

kefob1

#13 posted 12-24-2008 02:48 PM

Got mine for £160 sterling which is about 236 dollars.Did get a small discount on it though.Only got it recently so am no expert with it yet. Sprayed some water based primer/undercoat this morning and it came out fine.Easy clean up.Bit noisy though.

View bobmaxja's profile

bobmaxja

#14 posted 11-06-2009 05:29 AM

I have this machine and I am using Targets Coating WB product . I completed a large cherry able using WB shelleac and USL lacquer WB

View michstairguy's profile

michstairguy

21 posts in 1995 days

#15 posted 04-07-2010 09:38 PM

I got one of these about 5 months ago and I love it. I spent the first part of my Woodworking career in a spray booth with a Binks mach2 HVLP system and I get as good of a finish with this Earlex as I ever got with the Binks gun which cost a heck of a lot more just for the gun alone. Back in the nineties it was at leats 400.00 or more I dont even want to know what they cost now.
I will second the 5 stars on this gun especially for the price you cant beat it with a stick.

-- There is no growing in knowing where your going