Martin T54 Jointer

Review by Samel A. Livingstone posted 09-05-2008 11:10 PM 8292 views 1 time favorited 17 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Martin T54 Jointer Martin T54 Jointer Martin T54 Jointer Click the pictures to enlarge them

My old 20” jointer had broken table height controls and bed sagged about .05 inch which made straight cuts impossible. every cut was convex. The Company (Cassedi-Italian) was shut down for retooling and told me it would be over a year for new parts. I then looked around for a replacement. The best unit I found was a Martin model T54 20” jointer I work with a lot of wider lumber and refuse to cut it into strips. The jointer arrived from N. Carolina and waswell crated with no dings.

Cutting width 510 mm 20”
Maximum cutting depth 8 mm. (0.31 inches)
Cutter head is a custom built Byrd cutter head.
Infeed table 2 meters ( 78.75 inches)
Outfeed table 1.2 meters ( 47.2 inches)
Tilting Fence 1.2 meters ( 47.2 inches), On ball bearings slides easily
Dust extraction port 160 mm (6-inch plastic hose will fit )
Dust collection requires about 1250 cubic feet per minute 3 HP Oneida gorlila dust collectoris more than adequate
Motor 5.5 KW or 7.5 HP 3 phase only I use a converter.
Electric brake.
swing away guard over the knife head.
built in electricals for motorized feeder.
Very low dust emissions meets European standards.

Comment: This is the first machine out of the box that worked immediately. It is very quiet even jointing oak or maple. I am very happy with it The Byrd surfaces clean up with a minute or two sanding I start with 150 grit AL OXide. Surfaces are clean with no tearout in tiger maple (close spaced curls) I have cut 3-4 inch knots with no tear out. It will also cut end grain (curring boards or chopping blocks )without tearout. The controls are at the edge of the infield table.

The sliding fence has a built in foldout fence about 3 cm (1.25 inch) so that when planning 1 or 2 inch thick boards your hand can rest on the fence as a safety feature.

View Chris 's profile

Chris

#1 posted 09-05-2008 11:36 PM

How much does this amazing piece of machinery weigh?

View teenagewoodworker's profile

teenagewoodworker

#2 posted 09-06-2008 12:07 AM

Lucky!

#3 posted 09-06-2008 12:28 AM

Sorry I forgot the weight which is 1000 Kg or about 2200 pounds. I have it mounted on a metal base with 8 inch steel wheels with a band of rubber to protect the floor. I can roll it around easily with both arms. I do it to be able to work on the adjacent planer a 20” cassedi

View Dan'um Style's profile

Dan'um Style

#4 posted 09-06-2008 12:33 AM

Cool posting … wish I had this in my home basement shop !

-- keeping myself entertained ... Humor and fun lubricate the brain

#5 posted 09-06-2008 10:48 AM

Now that is a jointer!!! Thanks for the interesting review. I would love to have something like this in my shop as well.

View Don Newton's profile

Don Newton

#6 posted 09-06-2008 02:00 PM

MORE POWER…..ARUGHHHHH

-- Don, Pittsburgh

View motthunter's profile

motthunter

#7 posted 09-06-2008 03:53 PM

nice jointer.. does it have a spiral cutter head?

-- making sawdust....

View Doug S.'s profile

Doug S.

#8 posted 09-06-2008 08:22 PM

Would have replied sooner but had to clean the drool off my keyboard first and put a bib on. That is one beautiful machine!!

-- Use the fence Luke

View trifern's profile

trifern

#9 posted 09-07-2008 03:12 PM

That appears to be one awesome machine. Thanks for the review.

-- My favorite piece is my last one, my best piece is my next one.

View TroutGuy's profile

TroutGuy

#10 posted 09-07-2008 07:24 PM

WOW! You could joint a small log cabin with that thing! Nice toy…

-- There is nothing in the world more dangerous, than a woodworker who knows how to read a micrometer...

View OutPutter's profile

OutPutter

#11 posted 09-08-2008 05:43 PM

“Electrical controls include height of infeed table and bed adjustment for convex or concave cutting”
My 6” Delta does convex and concave cutting without any controls.

“Motor 5.5 KW or 7.5 HP 3 phase only I use a converter.”
I just plug my Delta into the wall.

“swing away guard over the knife head.”
Ditto.

“built in electricals for motorized feeder.”
I get a good cardio doing multiple boards on my Delta.

“Very low dust emissions meets European standards.”
My Delta meets the strictest Chinese emission standards.

“For boards longer than 6 feet, support is needed past outfield table. price is about 22K”
My Delta needs support for boards longer than 6 feet too and for that kind of money, you could have about 88 brand new Delta’s. Just think of all the board feet you could do in an hour with an Army of jointers.

-- Jim

#12 posted 09-08-2008 10:02 PM

To outputter, Your comments are great. humor makes the day better.

To Motthunter: I do have a Byrd spiral head. The cutters are at angle so shearing motion and much quiter than staight knives which two or three times per revolution. The twenty inch head has about 170 cutters in spirals around the head. The surface is slightly fuzzy by feel. Cannot see it without a 10 or 20X loupe. This fuzz disappears with a minute of sanding. There are no side to side ridges compared to a regular head. The minimal sanding is great as I do not have to sand out the tearouts or other wise repair defects that I can create in an instant. I have trimmed boards on their ends with no tearout. Great for butcher blocks.
I am hooping to get a feeder in a year or two after this purchase but first my wife wants remodeling on our house and some furniture. I am sure I will need more tools to do it.

Sam

View Jakob Varming's profile

Jakob Varming

#13 posted 12-19-2009 04:19 AM

Hi Chris,

//How much does this amazing piece of machinery weigh?//

You can download the leaflet from my homepage, if you want it.

-- Jakob Varming - Professional machinery for professionals. http://www.martin-asia.info

View elrond3737's profile

Jakob Varming

#15 posted 02-02-2011 03:44 AM

Hey elrond3737,

//How much?//

In terms of money, weight or trouble with the wife because you will spend more time in company with your new friend Martin than with her?

13.200€
1.200 – 1.250kg (Depending on accessories)
A lot – as you also will use more time on pampering you new-found love Martin than her…

Take a look at the new Martin T75 PreX sliding table saw – the first in the world with a 2×46 degree tiltable blade and a cutting hight of 200mm at 0 degree, you’ll find it on my homepage.