Good Drill Press for $70

Review by EdsCustomWoodCrafts posted 01-22-2015 12:03 AM 5438 views 0 times favorited 7 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Good Drill Press for $70 Good Drill Press for $70 No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

If your on a budget then this is the press for you here are some pros and cons…

Pros:
1. Light is a great feature especially when trying to position a brad point on your workpiece
2 Small enough to fit under a bench at 23” high
3 Cast iron base and shelf makes it extremely sturdy but a con appears when trying to move and position the 6×6”
shelf it’s very heavy
4. Overall I like it

Cons:
1. Hard to position wood on shelf as its too small( that’s why I built a table for it)
2. It’s only 5 speed
3. It’s only 8” which it can drill a hole 4” into a 8” circle.. I think they’d what it means…
4. There is no laser guide.. I really wish it had this..

Overall this drill press is adequate and will do everything it needs to do… It drills straight and I can do a host of work that I couldn’t do before…

-- Thanks Ed “A bad day woodworking is better than a good day working. ~Author unknown”

View EdsCustomWoodCrafts's profile

EdsCustomWoodCrafts

View Mark Davisson's profile

Mark Davisson

#1 posted 01-22-2015 02:18 PM

To you, Ed, it seems that this machine at the price you paid represents value. And that’s what it’s all about.

Thanks for the review!

-- I'm selfless because it feels so good!

View dday's profile

dday

#2 posted 01-22-2015 05:43 PM

I too have one of these, bought with one of their coupons for $59. Works great.
The light on mine won’t stay in position, but everything else seems sturdy and solid.

View JKMDETAIL's profile

JKMDETAIL

#3 posted 01-22-2015 06:13 PM

As you I am very satisfied. Like most anything you can find issues. Mine is speed control. But great for the money.

View Tennessee's profile

Tennessee

#4 posted 01-22-2015 06:36 PM

I can remember two years ago when this was only $49 with a coupon. Ran across a luthier shop that had five of them in a row, each set up to drill a certain hole.
For the money, hard to beat.

-- Tsunami Guitars and Custom Woodworking, Cleveland, TN

View Michael smith's profile

Michael smith

#5 posted 02-15-2015 08:06 PM

I bought mine last fall big sale $59.00 great buy. Read the reviews about the wobble! I used a dial indicator on mine and it ran out .006 . This is far more acurate than I am.
Great press for the bucks. Use it all the time.

-- Http://www.woodworkermike.com

View htl's profile

htl

#6 posted 12-09-2015 10:49 PM

I’ve got one and it works fine the only gripe I’ve got is I wish the table had a crank, but that why you pay the big bucks for the next one up in price. LOL

I wish I hadn’t got rid of my Shop Smith now there was one great drill press for wood working.

-- Learn More About Making Wooden Models. An Index Of My Model making Blogs. http://lumberjocks.com/htl/blog/116729

View Tudder's profile

Tudder

#7 posted 04-06-2018 07:42 PM

I own a machine shop and I needed a small bench top drill press in a hurry so I bought one from Harbor Freight for $59.00. AND…After buying this Harbor Freight drill press and a few of their other power tools I have finally decided to never again buy any of Harbor Freight’s tools that have a motor. Screwdrivers, wrenches, etc., OK if you don’t want them to last, but power tools, never! The bench top drill press is really a sad copy of the Craftsman, Dayton and Ryobi presses. The Harbor Freight press is very light and needs to be lagged to a bench. Lots of plastic parts and excessive chuck wobble. Used it for 20 minutes then got rid of it on craig’s list. Bought a vintage Craftsman bench top drill press(Craig’s list $50)...the real thing, heavy and rugged, great quality. Not a junker like the Harbor Freight press.