New Laguna 18" Bandsaw

Review by Wade Putnam posted 2152 days ago 16196 views 0 times favorited 32 comments Add to Favorites Watch
New Laguna 18" Bandsaw New Laguna 18" Bandsaw New Laguna 18" Bandsaw Click the pictures to enlarge them

Received my 18 ” saw and a Driftmaster Fence about three weeks ago, and the experience has been trying.
First I received my copy of the invoice on Saturday, before my saw was to be delivered on Tuesday.
When reviewing the invoice I discovered Laguna had shipped me a 16HD instead of the 18 I had ordered.
Couldn’t speak with the sales rep until Monday the day before scheduled delivery to advise him of the mistake, (this was after waiting weeks for delivery).The sales rep admitted it was an error on there part and he would stop delivery and send the 18, another 3 week wait!!!!!!
The delivery truck shows up as scheduled and promptly backs over my mail box.

Now for the DRIFTMASTER, no manual with it and the on line video and on line manual doesn’t match what I received and I am still not sure I have installed correctly.
Why the studs on the fence rail didn’t match the existing holes doesn’t makes sense, and the universal mounting brackets are a royal pain, especially if your not sure if the hardware your using is being mounted correctly since it doesn’t match any manuals or videos.

Now for the good news, after all the hassle I will say that the saw is awesome and it was worth all the trouble.
It cuts very accurately and has taken the place of my table saw for a lot of cuts. Very well constructed, just not documented very well in regards to assembly of drift master.

-- Wade, Nashville, www.mcgconstructs.com

View Wade Putnam's profile

Wade Putnam

View PurpLev's profile

PurpLev

thats one big Laguna…. congrats.

-- ㊍ When in doubt - There is no doubt - Go the safer route.

View sIKE's profile

sIKE

Man look at the size of the freakishly large blade there!

-- //FC - Round Rock, TX - "Experience is what you get just after you need it"

View FlWoodRat's profile

FlWoodRat

Wade, that bandsaw is almost as good looking as your shop mate. Hope you have loads of time to enjoy keeping company with both of them. LOL.

-- I love the smell of sawdust in the morning....

View Chris 's profile

Chris

I must admit to suffering from tool envy. Very nice saw; How big is that blade?

View motthunter's profile

motthunter

nice saw… I have to wonder how they can crew up the customer service so badly

-- making sawdust....

View SCOTSMAN's profile

SCOTSMAN

I bought a big bandsaw too its a 23 inch and cuts eighteen inch height of cut they are fantastice well done I hope you have long years of life to enjoy God Bless Alistair ps your wife looks beautiful too.

-- excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

View Callum Kendall's profile

Callum Kendall

1918 posts in 2298 days

Great looking saw!

Thanks for the post

Callum

-- For wood working podcasts with a twist check out http://thetimberkid.com/

View lclashley's profile

lclashley

Wow…cool saw! I’ve heard a similar story about Laguna service however. Thanks

View Doug S.'s profile

Doug S.

Congratulations. That ought to keep you out of mischief for a while. I’m actually quasi-interested in the idea of stocking a Driftmaster on my Minimax BS. If it’s any consolation the documentation that comes with Minimax saws aint much better than having none at all. Great saws but their manuals suck. MM customer service is pretty good at answering questions but if the Laguna experience is similar to the MM one, your best bet for good advice is an online user group of Laguna owners.

-- Use the fence Luke

View JerryS's profile

JerryS

That sure is a big Bandsaw , I’m glad to hear everything worked for you and your happy with the saw . That little dolly you move the saw around with is kool .

Thanks for the review .

View trifern's profile

trifern

Thanks for the review. Looks like a great band saw.

-- My favorite piece is my last one, my best piece is my next one.

View woodworm's profile

woodworm

Thanks for the review. And the board you’re holding looks evenly and smoothly ripped by this saw.
I hope I could have one smaller BS in my workshop. But.. I am not familiar with the sizes of BS. If you don’t mind, can you roughly tell me the relation of the wheel size to the cutting hight’s capacity?

-- masrol, kuala lumpur, MY.

View CraftsmanCollective's profile

CraftsmanCollective

mmmmm. Im suffering from bansaw envy. Yours is bigger than mine.

-- Robby Myer, Walnut Creek, CA

View Wade Putnam's profile

Wade Putnam

To answer Woodworm’s question, the wheel is 18” and the resaw is 18 3/8

-- Wade, Nashville, www.mcgconstructs.com

I have a driftmaster installed on my Taiwanese 18” bandsaw and I love it. When I got mine it didn’t have the universal mounts. I had to wait for it to be shipped. The resaw blade does a great job. I resawed some yellow birch today for the kitchen cabinets I’m building for my wife.