First Impressions - PM1000 (further review to follow)

Review by rizzo posted 01-16-2015 08:29 PM 6089 views 0 times favorited 8 comments Add to Favorites Watch
First Impressions - PM1000 (further review to follow) First Impressions - PM1000 (further review to follow) First Impressions - PM1000 (further review to follow) Click the pictures to enlarge them

This is my first review (as I am a new member of lumberJocks). This is also just a initial impressions review, as I just took delivery and set up the saw today.

I just recently started building a shop in the basement of my home. Moving out of the attached garage and into a climate controlled area has been wonderful. The only real tools (not that there really is an end to the number of tools a guy needs..) i was still in need of, were a ventilation system, a dust collector and a table saw. (my previous tablesaw was actually a Jet Proshop saw that belonged to my parents, and wanted to return theirs and buy my own. I decided fairly quickly on what vent/dust systems I wanted. (I look forward to writing a review of them soon as they have proved to be fantastic!) The part I struggled with was what table saw to buy. I looked at all the “fan-favorites” and I can go into detail in the later portions of my review as to exactly why I ended up choosing this saw, but so far I am very happy with my purchase and think it was a great decision.

First let me say this, HEAVY… Holy cow trying to move this thing into my basement… This saw may be the baby brother to the PM2000, but it is enough of a load on its own.. I can feel my back tightening up from the move as I type this review.

The saw came in a multitude of boxes. 6 total (8 if you count the cast extension wings). The main box containing the saw and extension wings was by far the heaviest (obviously). This came bolted (with two opposite corner bolts) to a small pallet. The pallet is small enough to be able to fit though most doorways and down hallways / stairs (or at least it was in my case). The main issue is how heavy it is, this was not and would not be an issue moving it off of a trailer / truck and into a ground level shop. However if you intend on moving this into a home and down stairs, get help, lots of help. Use a good dolly with nematic tires and a few straps.

With the weight comes a feeling of quality and the quality extends to the look and feel of the components of the saw. To start, I am incredibly impressed with the fit and finish of this saw. (well. sort of.. as I had the opportunity to see one first hand prior to purchasing the saw, i already new how great the fit and finish was going to be.. but anyways). The attention to detail is amazing. not a single scratch or dent to be seen. (save a small chip of yellow paint of a very small edge of the cast tabletop). All the parts line up with there according holes. The directions for this saw are fantastic, at least i can’t imagine a better direction set. The pictures are clear and the instructions are well described. The saw assembles quite easily. This process works best with at least one (if not two) other people. I think I “could’ assemble the saw on my own, but i don’t think I would have wanted to. All told from sitting in my driveway to moving into the basement, unboxing and assembling everything took 2 hours.

The table extension wings went on perfectly with no fuss, tighten them barely tight enough to hold and then gently knock the wings into place (then tighten the rest of the way). The longest part of the process was putting on the extension table (wood). with no predrilled holes this is a bit difficult to line up perfectly and clamp into place etc. I suggest installing the legs to the table to help with this process.

Besides the wooden extension table, the assembly of the saw went incredibly smoothly.

I look forward to tweaking the saw and zeroing everything in, running some wood through it and creating another review. For now, I will just say that I am incredibly impressed, have no buyers remorse at all and am very happy with my decision. Feel free to ask any questions.

- Brian

View scarpenter002's profile

scarpenter002

#1 posted 01-16-2015 09:37 PM

Congratulations on your new baby. I am sure you will get many years of pleasure out of this saw.

Thanks for sharing your experience with this saw, and welcome to LJs.

-- Scott in Texas

#2 posted 01-17-2015 04:19 AM

Thanks! I have really enjoyed reading about peoples experiences and seeing their projects. There is a wealth of knowledge here, and everyone has been very kind so far. Such a great community.

View HillbillyShooter's profile

HillbillyShooter

#3 posted 01-17-2015 05:06 AM

Congratulations on your acquisition! I am very pleased to hear you are pleased with the attention to detail in this model of Powermatic; and, I wish you great luck with your choice of saws. May your Powermatic serve you as well as my Model 66 has served me. My saw is still dead on accurate, having never needing a tune up or any adjustment since I first set it up in 1994. Please let us know your thoughts after you have had a chance to use it.

#4 posted 01-17-2015 07:35 AM

Congrats very nice saw

-- Norman - I never never make a mistake, I just change the design.

#5 posted 01-17-2015 02:47 PM

Thanks guys! I certainly look forward to writing an additional review after being able to use it for awhile.

View sawdustjunkie's profile

sawdustjunkie

#6 posted 01-17-2015 09:15 PM

Dumb question on my part, but why rate it 4 stars before you actually started using it.
I only ask, because I have had a G0690 I bought 4 months ago and have not given it a review yet until I am comfortable using the saw.
The one thing I will say about it is the saw has a ton of power and cuts thru anything.

-- Steve: Franklin, WI

#7 posted 01-17-2015 11:01 PM

Not a dumb question at all. Per the title of the review it is only on the initial impressions of the saw, and i was so impressed with the ease of assembly as well as the fit and finish that it prompted me to write a review. I rated the saw 4 stars and not a 5 for initial impressions because of the slight issue with the wooden table extension. I’m planning on doing at least a pair of additional reviews. One about the decision making process combined with the “zeroing-in” process (which having taken a few measurements already i think it won’t need much at all). Then i certainly will reserve final judgment for the performance of the saw until a few months and a few furniture pieces go by. A friend of my from school has that grizzly, very nice saw! I really like your blanket chest by the way.

View sawdustjunkie's profile

sawdustjunkie

#8 posted 01-18-2015 01:49 AM

Thanks rizzo. Now that I made one for my wife, both my kids want one. I am currently making a bath vanity and I guess I’ll be making 2 more chests this spring.
I looked at that saw at a woodworking show last march. I was quite impressed with it, but I felt I needed the 3hp and to get a PM, I would have to get the PM2000 and just couldn’t justify spending that much more.
I am sure you will enjoy the saw!

-- Steve: Franklin, WI