Review - Milwaukee 12v Compact Driver (Model #2401-22)

Review by DaveH posted 2190 days ago 4987 views 0 times favorited 9 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Review - Milwaukee 12v Compact Driver (Model #2401-22) No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Great little tool. I’d recommend it without reservation. I recently drove 50+ 3” stainless screws into pressure treated lumber without a battery swap. Drives a little slower than my 18v Dewalt but I’m not complaining. I’d definitely buy another if it needed replacing.

Pros

• 12v Cordless Driver kit includes 2 batteries, charger, case and two 1/4” locking driver bits
  • Driver clutch has 14 + 1 settings to protect screws when driving into stock
  • Weighs in at a very lightweight 2.0 lbs
  • Led lights to indicate charge level
  • Quick change chuck locks bits in place.
  • Plenty of torque in a small package. Up to 100 in.-lbs of torque

Cons

• It is easy to hit the reversing button

Description

• Includes two Lithium-Ion batteries and charger
  • Quick bit-loading chuck makes changing bits with one hand a breeze
  • Includes features like variable speed trigger, LED light to illuminate work surface and battery fuel gauge
  • Metal gear housing for durability
  • When tool is off, bit automatically locks in place to allow manual screwdriver action
  • Come with tool bag

-- DaveH - Boise, Idaho - “How hard can it be? It's only wood!”

View DaveH's profile

DaveH

View lclashley's profile

lclashley

Thanks Dave. I saw this driver in the store and thought it was very cool. I got a milwaukee 18V lithium-ion drill/driver and love it.

View Sac's profile

Sac

Thanks for the post. I’ll be needing to get a driver soon for redoing the deck here. It is nice to see this review. Thanks!

-- Jerry

View PurpLev's profile

PurpLev

nice review, it seems like several companies came out with some small/lightweight drivers of similar specs. looks like these are very convenient to the woodworker, as we really just need a comfortable driver that is lightweight, small, and convenient to use – as opposed to using a 18v hammerdrill to drive hinge screws …lol

I’ve been using a dewalt 9.6v screwdriver for years, and for woodworking driving purposes it is more than enough -and I think that these new tool designs are even more comfortable, lighter, and are superb!

-- ㊍ When in doubt - There is no doubt - Go the safer route.

View Hersh's profile

Hersh

I would like to trow my 2 cents in as well. I bought this driver about 1.5 months ago, and I love it. It’s a hard worker and battery charge is really long. The new batteries are not supposed to have a ‘memory’ of chargeing and discharing, which means it has a full charge or not charged. The driver with its fuel gage and the indicator on the charger will always let you know how the charge is. I’ve done quite a bit of driving 3” long screws and drilling. I did get a quick bit keyless chuck for drill bits other than the quick bit type. Works great. Highly reccommend this driver.

-- Hersh from Port Angeles, WA - Gotta Complete That Project!

View DaveH's profile

DaveH

I bought a keyed chuck for mine. Don’t use if too often, but it’s handy. I use the chuck more often in my 12v and 18v Dewalts drivers to keep the bits from spinning since neither have locking ratchet chucks.

-- DaveH - Boise, Idaho - “How hard can it be? It's only wood!”

View mcsteff's profile

mcsteff

I am in the market and will definitly consider this one. I am also thinking of one of the impact drivers (10.8 or 12 v.) in the place of a drill/driver. Nice review. Thanks.

-- s

View Jamie's profile

Jamie

I bought this drill two weeks ago. I love it! Great power, great battery life and the size and weight are awesome!
Not that it really matters, but this driver has serious cool factor!

-- "Preach the gospel always. If necessary use words" -St Francis of Assisi

View akdale's profile

akdale

this just recently went down in price at Home Depot. 99 bucks!

-- Phil 4:13------Our family motto

View jerome's profile

jerome

Thumbs up from me as well. Had mine for about 6mos. I actually got this free when I purchased the inspection camera. Very handy drill and the battery seems to last quite a bit.

-- I really need to change my "cut twice, measure once" thought process!