Stumpy Nubs Box Joint Jig 2.0

Review by NKYKelly posted 01-15-2015 06:35 PM 6687 views 3 times favorited 3 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Stumpy Nubs Box Joint Jig 2.0 No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I had previously purchased the Gear-Driven Box Joint Jig plan from Woodgears.ca. After getting tired of thining about conversion of the Metric Plan, I came across Stumpy’s v2.0 design. Also, one of the first things I built was the Woodsmith Adjustable Box Joint Jig. I like it and used it a great deal, but setup to achieve a great fitting joint was time-consuming

This is a good plan and a very unique design. Stumpy is much like Mathias and John Heinz. Great brain for design, but fall somewhat short in the button-up and enabling the use of the tool. Unfortunately, his videos do not provide as much insight for building and using the plan as Mathias or John. I realize that it was only $10, but without the instructions for setup and use, its quite confusing and a bit intimidating. The plan and great design deserves a “setup and use” section. At a minimum, he needs the video for “setup, use and variable spacing” that was talked about in the follow-up.

Something to watch out for… The plan and template seem to be based around a design that is made for a saw where the blade is loaded on the arbor from the right. Perhaps I’m being dense and missing something, but you can’t zero the jig once for all of the blades. So I created my own Templates based on a zeroing the 1/4 inch and stagger in 1/8” increments from there. I was able to cut 1/4, 3/8 and 1/2” box joints without redoing the setup. With his templates, I would have a line on slide for each size. That would get confusing. Once I created my own templates that made sense to me, I was able to use the jig. I have since started to develop specialty templates for creating inlays and variable-spaced fingers.

The positioner setup is unique and I definitely recommend the $6 Harbor Freight Toggle instead of spring clamp. You still need to add some bracing around the hold down to remove the side-to-side play, but the toggle clamp makes sliding and positioning much easier than a spring clamp. The strength and precision of this jig was demonstrated when I made a mistake and realized I let the boards drift up and the cuts were not deep enough. I reloaded the pieces back into the jig and was able to recut them without affecting the fit.

Conclusion: I gave it 4/5 Stars. I’m glad I purchased the plan and built the jig. I would recommend it to anyone who likes to build their own jigs, but I would encourage Stumpy to update the plans and/or add “setup and use” how-to video.

Costs: (Total: $59)
Plan: $10
Lumber: $30 (30×60 sheet of 1/2” Baltic Birch)
Hardware: $19 (Toggle Clamp $6 and T-Track- $13)

*I did not purchase the Dovetail Bar from Rockler. It is cheap enough online, but I was impatient and chose to make my own from UHMW Plastic I had laying around. I would recommend the Dovetail bar or drawer slide. I have a couple hours finishing the homemade one to make it slide easy enough.

I will add some pictures of my build and the mods. I will also include my templates in PDF form. Feel free to PM me if you have questions or want more info.

Fred (fl13) wrote a great review that was very helpful in my build: http://lumberjocks.com/reviews/3976

Kelly

-- NKYKelly

View NKYKelly's profile

NKYKelly

View StumpyNubs's profile

StumpyNubs

#1 posted 01-15-2015 11:24 PM

Thank you for your very honest review!

I admit that I need to make another video to clarify a few points, and to demonstrate how to use the jig for different layouts. Honestly, I have just been so swamped.

It was designed for a saw that has the blade on the right side of the arbor. It would not be difficult to adapt it for a saw with the opposite layout, though.

The toggle clamp is better because you can disengage it and it stays disengaged. And I agree that it is a good idea to add some extra support around the clamp. I should update the plans with that info.

I’m not sure I understand the difficulty you had with the pattern. COuld you give me more info? Go to my website and send an email using the “contact Stumpy link”.

Thanks again for the objective review. It helps me improve my designs!

-Jim (Stumpy)

-- Subscribe to "Stumpy Nubs Woodworking Journal"- One of the crafts' most unique publications: http://www.stumpynubs.com/

View NKYKelly's profile

NKYKelly

#2 posted 01-16-2015 12:39 AM

To be clear, I think your design is awesome. I can’t imagine how much goes into creating these. Thank you for taking the critique in the positive manner in which it was intended.

Today I played with it some more and I can tell you that I love the repeatability on it. I switched back and forth between 1/4, 3/8 and 1/2 with extreme ease and very little setup. I have now written which shims I need for each size Dado setup on the template and I can get the jig running with a new size in less than 3 minutes. The joints are not Japanese joinery perfect, but they are pretty close and perfect for what I need. Box Joints for, well Boxes!

I’m real excited about the inlay stuff. I have mocked it up in Sketchup and I have created a template for each step of the cuts. Hoping to test that over the long holiday weekend. I have attached the mockup of the inlay joint here.

The toggle clamp was the perfect change IMO. I love how my daughter can help me. She couldn’t have done that with the spring clamp.

I can tell you are busy my friend. I have been stalking your site for the new Drum Sander plan for over a month :) No that I have finished the box joint jig

I will do my best to provide more clear information about the Templates. It may just be me, but I definitely like what I did over what I thought I would have to do. Multiple Lines on the top sliding plastic. Here is the Right side of my template:

-- NKYKelly

View paul1474's profile

paul1474

#3 posted 01-26-2015 01:22 AM

I just finished building this jig. I couldn’t get my printer to print template full size, so I just used to self adhesive tapes for my template. I had problems with my box joint blades. When I switched to my dado set and tried 1/2 inch joints it worked great. I also used toggle clamp and dovetail bar. Not sure if there is enough of a difference between the 2 blades to cause me problems or I just need to play with it more.