Review by ellen35 posted 01-15-2015 01:39 PM 7489 views 1 time favorited 152 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Bought this defective switch from Peachtree-read on for potential dangers and poor customer service No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I was at the Woodworking Show in West Springfield this past weekend. I was looking for a large paddle switch to turn off my table saw. Peachtree has always been my “go to” company for things like this. So I purchased a Fulton Power Tool Switch from them for $25. I got it home and began the very simple set up but when I tried to use the large paddle to turn off the machine, it worked only intermittently… maybe once every 10 pushes! This is not only defective but could be outright dangerous. I’m pretty good with equipment having done this for many years but I had another woodworker also check it out. It is clear that the unit was defective. I called Peachtree this morning thinking that a good company would replace the unit at no charge. Well, was I wrong!!! I talked with a person in sales and was told that they would replace it if I shipped it back to them AT MY EXPENSE! I explained that the unit was defective and that shipping both ways should be at their expense. When I got nowhere, I asked to speak to a supervisor and talked with David. It seems that Peachtree’s policy is that it is MY responsibility to get it to THEM at my expense. Then they will look at it and repair or replace the item and, if it is defective, they will pay return shipping. I kept trying to explain that defective merchandise is different from a simple “I don’t want it” return but David kept telling me that I wouldn’t expect Home Depot to pay for my gas to return a defective item and they won’t pay for shipping.
So… 2 things… stay away from the Fulton Power Tool Switch and get your wallet out if you have to return something to Peachtree.
If anyone has a solution to this, I’d love to know.
Ellen

-- "Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good." Voltaire

View ellen35's profile

ellen35

View Mark Davisson's profile

Mark Davisson

#1 posted 01-15-2015 01:52 PM

My solution would be to send the item to Peachtree.

-- I'm selfless because it feels so good!

#2 posted 01-15-2015 02:07 PM

Few months back I had to return a $100 section of vinyl fencing to Home Depot because it was defective. I asked for 10% off to cover my gas (it probably only cost me $7 in gas but I’m greedy like that). They obliged, no problem. Sounds like poor customer service at Peachtree, which surprises me (I’ve never dealt with their CS, but I’ve always had positive experiences ordering from them).

I would call back, and speak to David again. Ask them if they’d like to be responsible for you if something happens using a defective item they refused to make good on. Also let them know that you’ve posted a review on one of the most popular woodworking forums, and that you’ll be posting a follow-up to detail Peachtree’s final handling of the problem, and let him know it is up to him which way that review will go. Does he want to lose a few customers for a few bucks? Or keep some and, oh gee, I don’t know, DO THE RIGHT THING.

Edit : Maybe it’s worth it to David to lose you as a customer for good? See what he thinks.

View Handtooler's profile

Handtooler

#3 posted 01-15-2015 02:07 PM

If you have a contact number for Fulton get in touch with their customer service dept and ask about them replacing it. They may only want a shipping address and tell you to dispose of you defective item. You’ll need the model number where and when purchased, serial number if there is one. date of manufacture code if there is one. Bet they’ll come thru.

Question? Is your switch a magnetic style where if there is a power failure or circuit breaker trip the machine will not come on when power is restored? Most are NOT. Grizzly for example has none that are. Just large paddles. That’s an important feature for me.

-- Russell Pitner Hixson, TN 37343 bassboy40@outlook.com

View jshroyer's profile

jshroyer

#4 posted 01-15-2015 02:08 PM

I would send it back to peachtree. I use peachtree for all sorts of low cost items that i want. To keep prices low they have to keep policies like that.

-- http://semiww.org/

#5 posted 01-15-2015 02:15 PM

- jshroyer

I think that’s a lousy policy. The customer should not be penalized for being the recipient of a defective item. The cost of return shipping on defective items is part of doing business, or they should have directed her to the manufacturer. Or, they could have offered to credit her the shipping costs once it was verified that the item was defective and not damaged by inproper installation. If this is really their policy, it sounds like they need to step up and stand behind their product more and aim to keep customers happy. This should have been an issue between Peachtree and Fulton, not Peachtree and Ellen.

Handtooler has a good point about contacting Fulton. This is most likely where the problem originated (I doubt Peachtree broke it, but it’s possible). Like he said, they will probably be more interested in you not using the defective product as they are the ones who produced it.

View CincyRW's profile

CincyRW

#6 posted 01-15-2015 03:54 PM

Here’s a link to the Consumer Product Safety Commission where you can report an unsafe product to the agency:

View tyvekboy's profile

tyvekboy

#7 posted 01-15-2015 04:04 PM

As far as Peachtree Woodworking goes, I very seldom shop with them. They may have good prices but their policies are to be questioned. Have you ever noticed if you shop with them that you’ll see some of their products that they sell look similar to some proprietary products you’ve seen at ROCKLER? Just saying …..

If you get nowhere with Peachtree, get in touch with Fulton Woodworking Tools.

Fultonwoodworkingtools.com is owned and operated as a marketing resource of
Fulton™ Woodworking Tools & Accessories
P.O. Box 921487
Norcross, GA 30010
©2011 Fulton™ Woodworking Tools & Accessories

Here is their home page:

I’m sure they’ll just replace it for you. Will be watching for the outcome.

-- Tyvekboy -- Marietta, GA ………….. one can never be too organized

View Don Butler's profile

Don Butler

#8 posted 01-15-2015 04:10 PM

Having been associated with the merchandising industry and in manufacturing I can say that if my company sold this switch I would do ANYTHING to avoid two things:
1. Allowing the defective switch to cause either injury or inconvenience to my customer, and
2. letting the world know what a lousy company policy we enforce without exception.

I had a bad experience myself with Peachtree years ago with defective product and I have never bought anything else since. That’s what people do when they get stung by bad customer service.

Don

-- No trees were damaged in posting this message, but thousands of electrons were seriously inconvenienced.

View OnhillWW's profile

OnhillWW

#9 posted 01-15-2015 05:48 PM

Years ago I purchased a Forstner drill bit sharpening kit from Peachtree. Included were to be a couple of 400 or 600 grit diamond sharpening tools( I don’t remember which it was). When they arrived I could tell just by feeling these that they were far coarser than stated and poorly manufactured – they were more like 120 – 150 grit, when used on metal they created a terrible scratch pattern and a surface that was rough and totally non-uniform (luckily I never ran them over my drill bits). I called PT and told them what I had with the concern that perhaps they had a bad run come in and would want to inspect them to keep from shipping out kits that could be a problem. The gentleman, who said he was the owner, told me on no uncertain terms that that what I had described could not be the case and that if I wanted to ship the kit back – @ my expense – I could and they would give me a refund. What annoyed me was the attitude more than the policy; my call was intended as more of a heads-up to help them yet he was curt and condescending in tone – since then not a penny in their direction.

-- Cheap is expensive! - my Dad

View Rob's profile

Rob

#10 posted 01-15-2015 05:51 PM

Unfortunately PeachTree’s return policy is pretty clear on their website. Although it’s common today for companies to eat the return shipping, it wasn’t always that way.

As others mentioned, you may have better luck going directly to the manufacturer.

Also you may be able to put some pressure on PeachTree by opening a claim through your credit card company. Most businesses would rather pay $5 or $10 shipping than deal with the consequences of a chargeback, which potentially include higher fees and termination of service. Since PeachTree’s return policy is pretty clear, you may not get anywhere, but it’s worth a try as a last-ditch effort.

-- Ask an expert or be the expert - http://woodworking.stackexchange.com

View ellen35's profile

ellen35

#11 posted 01-15-2015 05:54 PM

So I just got off the phone with Fulton. Seems they are a division of Peachtree. The woman I talked with was very nice but reiterated their policy of the customer paying for the return of a defective product. She stated that their return policy was clearly stated in their customer service policy. I told her that her customer service page talked about general returns, not defective and dangerous merchandise returns. I essentially got nowhere. She asked me to put it in writing and she would take it to a supervisor. I will do this but will also file with the Consumer Product Safety Division as recommended here. Posting this on LJ didn’t seem to phase her as she had never heard of us.

There are plenty of good, ethical, accommodating woodworking supply companies out there. This is my last purchase from Peachtree. And… I won’t take this treatment lying down!

Note to Rob: this is a general return policy. I have never heard of the customer paying shipping for a defective and potentially dangerous policy!

-- "Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good." Voltaire

#12 posted 01-15-2015 06:06 PM

- ellen35

Agreed, and I don’t think I will be ordering from them anymore. I’ve never had a problem with them in the past, and I guess I’m lucky to not have to have dealt with one. I’d rather pay a little more and have the comfort of knowing that I’m not financially liable for quality control issues on the manufacturer/vendor side.

Edit : Ellen, just out of curiosity, how much was the return shipping? Probably less than the future profit they’d have made if they’d kept you as a satisfied customer.

View dschlic1's profile

dschlic1

426 posts in 1962 days

#13 posted 01-15-2015 06:13 PM

The switch might be similar to the Woodstock D4160 switch. If so the switch is magnetically held closed. For this to happen both the hot and the neutral side of the incoming and outgoing power must be wired to the switch. If not then the unit will start when the start button is pressed but them stops when the start button is released. I don’t know if this is applicable to your case, but you might want to check on it.

View tyvekboy's profile

tyvekboy

#14 posted 01-15-2015 06:38 PM

I had a feeling FULTON was connected with PTWW.

I also don’t attend the woodworking show coming up in March in Atlanta cause they are a MAJOR participant in that show.

I think defective products should be replace no questions asked.

Now I can avoid FULTON WOODWORKING TOOLS too.

-- Tyvekboy -- Marietta, GA ………….. one can never be too organized

View Dedvw's profile

Dedvw

#15 posted 01-15-2015 07:27 PM

Definitely talk to your credit card if you used one. Discover card had a $500 purchase protection against purchases regardless of the sellers policy. Not to mention price protection, it refunds me money if the price drops within 90 days. I use my CC as much as I can for these reasons.