I hate writing negative reviews, but.....

Review by njcraftsman posted 01-13-2015 05:53 PM 3540 views 0 times favorited 25 comments Add to Favorites Watch
I hate writing negative reviews, but..... No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Got it as a freebie so I have a hard time complaining, but mine was off by 5/16”. With all the math involved in creating an average piece of furniture….it’s a pain to have to correct for the tape as well. Otherwise decent quality (for inexpensive tapes anyway). Mines relegated to missions to my local wood monger, where precision is not needed.

I have since checked multiples at the store, and have yet to find one thats dead on. Oh well it was FREE.

View jshroyer's profile

jshroyer

#1 posted 01-13-2015 06:34 PM

i use mine to be close to the nearest inch.

-- http://semiww.org/

View Earlextech's profile

Earlextech

#2 posted 01-13-2015 07:03 PM

Throw it away now or it will lead to a mistake.

-- Sam Hamory - The project is never finished until its "Finished"!

View Richard H's profile

Richard H

#3 posted 01-13-2015 07:04 PM

I have a couple of them that I keep around the house for everyone else to use so they are not tempted to use the ones I use for woodworking. They are probably fine for building decks or sheds but I wouldn’t trust them for furniture.

View NoThanks's profile

NoThanks

#4 posted 01-13-2015 07:04 PM

I’m here to tell you, 1 mistake because of that faulty tape measure (5/16” off) and you will learn that free wasn’t really free. Tape measures are your best tool, they need to be accurate, or thrown away.
2 stars for something that doesn’t work, well…it would be a zero for me.

Thanks for bring it to our attention though!

-- Because I'm gone, that's why!

View Buckethead's profile

Buckethead

3194 posts in 2013 days

#5 posted 01-13-2015 07:08 PM

I don’t understand what is meant by “5/16” here.

Is each inch 5/16 long or short? Each foot? The entire length of the tape? The scale? Or is the hook simply set 5/16ths too far in or out?

Not that any of these make it any better…

-- Support woodworking hand models. Buy me a sawstop.

View MT_Stringer's profile

MT_Stringer

#6 posted 01-13-2015 07:16 PM

Mine was nearly dead on at 24 inches, but off by 1/8th inch at 48 inches. I didn’t bother to check any further. I will reserve it for trips to the lumber yard where I buy the rough milled boards. Closest foot is good enough for me. Is it 8’, 10’, or 12’. And the width usually varies also between 5 1/2 – 8 inches.

So, it will stay in the console of my truck.

Yep, what is that old sayin’ – there’s no such thing as a free lunch? :-)

-- Handcrafted by Mike Henderson - Channelview, Texas

View Dallas's profile

Dallas

#7 posted 01-13-2015 07:19 PM

Interesting take on this.

I have a half dozen old tapes, Stanley, Disston, Lufkin, etc. None of them read exactly the same.
I never worry about it, even with the HF tapes like those you show.
I spent 30 minutes pulling tapes and checking accuracy at HF. I also did the same thing at BORG with name brand tape measures.
NOT a SINGLE ONE READ THE SAME AS ANY OTHER.

My solution is to always use the same tape for whatever I am doing with a project unless it is rough cutting.

It is also interesting that you came up with the 5/16” somehow.
I’ve done a lot of framing and as a cut guy never had any measurement come up that far off. No matter what the other guy hollered out.

-- Improvise.... Adapt...... Overcome!

View Buckethead's profile

Buckethead

3194 posts in 2013 days

#8 posted 01-13-2015 07:25 PM

Cut man begins to understand tape calibration as well as measurement taker calibration issues as boards are returned. Some board nailers return boards more often than others. :-)

-- Support woodworking hand models. Buy me a sawstop.

#9 posted 01-13-2015 09:07 PM

1st inch error, I check it combo square and biese table saw rule confirmed. I would be only a matter of time before I forgot to adjust measurements on a project and fudged it up. Oh well good for lumber yard….

View JoeinGa's profile

JoeinGa

#10 posted 01-13-2015 11:00 PM

-- Perform A Random Act Of Kindness Today ... Pay It Forward

View Rick Bailey's profile

Rick Bailey

#11 posted 01-13-2015 11:51 PM

- JoeinGa

Is that the Big little marks or the Little marks?

-- I'll bulid your dream,you tear it down.

View Dallas's profile

Dallas

#12 posted 01-14-2015 12:02 AM

Joe, I worked with a guy that could only measure that way, but have the time he would call out an 6 instead of a 7

-- Improvise.... Adapt...... Overcome!

#13 posted 01-14-2015 12:42 AM

- JoeinGa

Hahaha…yup thats about the size of it :o)

View paxorion's profile

paxorion

#14 posted 01-14-2015 04:16 PM

Glad we have another 2 star review. As I said in mine, between an educated guess and a guestimate

-- paxorion

View dhazelton's profile

dhazelton

#15 posted 01-14-2015 06:54 PM

Don’t pull it out close to the 25 ft mark. Mine went ‘sproing’ when I did that and it went in the dumpster.