Hitachi 10in 40t ATB, good deal at about $25

Review by dsb1829 posted 08-25-2008 10:28 PM 1340 views 0 times favorited 6 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Hitachi 10in 40t ATB, good deal at about $25 No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I have been using cheap and hand-me-down blades ever since I got my first tablesaw a couple years ago. Sawing has always been loud. Smoke and dust always looming in the near future for anything thicker than 1/2”. I hadn’t been too pleased with my last purchase. Go figure $10 is not going to cut too well.

So I was in Lowe’s the other day. I had a $10 coupon that required me to get my total up to $50 to use. I was drawn over to the saw blades by the Ice finish on the Freud blade, but immediately turned off by the price. Then I notice the Hitachi 310878 for $28. It looks nice, has ATB design, 40t, and what’s that in the corner? It’s a satisfaction guarantee. I know there are some choice quotes about guarantees (watch Tommy Boy if you need a refresher). But for the price and with a basically no questions asked return available I took it home.

Once out of the demon spawned plastic package (you know the ones you have to destroy to get open) I noticed the heft of the blade. It had a very solid feel to it. I also noticed that it was damped and emitted no audible ring when checked with a knuckle.

I installed it in my saw and immediately ran some 3/4” mdf through it. The cut was way faster and cleaner than on my other blades. Also to my surprise the saw is noticeably quieter during the cut. Over the weekend I ran about 60 linear feet of 8/4 and 6/4 hard maple through the blade. It took it all in stride. Excellent surface finish on the cuts with little to no burning (only in spots where I stopped feeding during the cut). Gotta say this little blade has won me over. Time will tell on durability, but initial results are quite nice. I am only going to cut it 4 stars since I have only put a couple of projects through it.

-- Doug, woodworking in Alabama

View dsb1829's profile

dsb1829

View teenagewoodworker's profile

teenagewoodworker

#1 posted 08-25-2008 10:35 PM

yep, its a nice blade. this is the blade that came with my hitachi miter saw. its a great blade and leaves a really nice surface.

View sIKE's profile

sIKE

#2 posted 08-25-2008 10:50 PM

Now that you have stepped up a notch you will be really impressed with the Tenyru and the Woodworker blades.

-- //FC - Round Rock, TX - "Experience is what you get just after you need it"

View PurpLev's profile

PurpLev

#3 posted 08-25-2008 11:13 PM

Blade quality is measured by it’s produced cut surface, and ease of cutting, but is also measured by length of time it retains its sharpness. see if you can measure how long this blade will take to dull out – the longer the better.

-- ㊍ When in doubt - There is no doubt - Go the safer route.

View dsb1829's profile

dsb1829

#4 posted 08-25-2008 11:14 PM

sIKE, play nice. I have my eye on a nice high end blade, but haven’t pulled the trigger yet. Heck if this blades keeps going at this pace I don’t see the point in upgrading (it doesn’t get much nicer as far as finish off the tablesaw).

PurpLev, exactly why I didn’t give it a gushing 5 star. I will follow up in a couple of months.

-- Doug, woodworking in Alabama

View SCOTSMAN's profile

SCOTSMAN

#5 posted 08-25-2008 11:39 PM

As I always say you wouldn;t buy an expensive sterio and cheap speakers would you? so why buy rubbish blades to cut wood.There are good quality blades out there without a hefty price tag,but I normally buy the best ones when I have them on my main saw.You have already noticed the big difference already anyway good cutting/sawing in the future best wishes Alistair

-- excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

View sIKE's profile

sIKE

#6 posted 08-26-2008 12:42 AM

Wasn’t meaning to hijack the thread :) just welcoming you to the world of high quality saw blades, I took the same trip you are on and each time I made the jump to the next level of blade I was amazed at the difference.

The most interesting thing I have learned so far is that yes a combination blade does a swell job, but a blade designed with one purpose does it better. But as you and I both realize money doesn’t grow on tree’s and you get what you can when you can. Just like my first new car was so much better than my first used car!

-- //FC - Round Rock, TX - "Experience is what you get just after you need it"