Excellent Marking knife

Review by FJPetruso posted 08-24-2008 10:18 PM 4734 views 2 times favorited 9 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Excellent Marking knife No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Several years ago I purchased a spear point marking knife from Harbor Freight for 4 bucks. I used the marking knife all the time as it has a sharp angle to get into tight corners &, being spear point, it’s “ambidextrous”. It also has a rosewood handle. For probably being made in China it’s a Great Tool! Then one day I swept it up & tossed it out accidentally. I searched Harbor Freight’s site & found that they had discontinued the tool. After a search of various woodworking sites I finally found this marking knife at ””The Japan Woodworker” for $7.45. That’s pretty inexpensive for a tool from the Japan Woodworker. But being frugal… OK cheap… I held off on purchasing the knife because the shipping of $8.25 was higher than the tool cost. Finally Friday I recieved an e-mail that there was to be free shipping on any purchase at the Japan Woodworker… So I ordered three of the marking knives. You might wish to sign up for e-mail messages on deals from the Japan Woodworker & check out the spear point marking knife & their other items too. They have some nice sounding tools but most of their tools have higher prices to go with them too!

View Dan'um Style's profile

Dan'um Style

#1 posted 08-25-2008 06:59 PM

I need to get one of these too. good posting. fun to read.

-- keeping myself entertained ... Humor and fun lubricate the brain

View SCOTSMAN's profile

SCOTSMAN

#2 posted 08-25-2008 07:02 PM

I too find it a big put off when shipping exceeds cost of article. Most people do if their honest.I can’t quite see the knife could you repost a few more pictures Alistair

-- excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

View Bob #2's profile

Bob #2

#3 posted 08-25-2008 07:22 PM

Lee Valley Tools has come out with a version under the “UtiLitas” lable
It’s a bit pricier than the one you found.

I wonder what the difference is? Anybody know for sure?

Bob

-- A mind, like a home, is furnished by its owner

View bbqking's profile

bbqking

#4 posted 08-25-2008 10:39 PM

You can make your own out of a 3/4” spade bit if you can do metal. I did and it is great. It has a nice walnut handle, too. It’s easy.

-- bbqKing, Lawrenceville

View SCOTSMAN's profile

SCOTSMAN

#5 posted 08-25-2008 11:44 PM

look’s great I have several Japanese marking knives but I might eventually make handles for them regards Alistair.

-- excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

#6 posted 08-26-2008 04:29 AM

I’ll post some close-up photos of the marking knife when it arrives.

I like the idea of using old spade bits for making a custom knife.

View Chardt's profile

Chardt

#7 posted 08-26-2008 08:07 PM

I recently inherited a tool box from my grandfather, and he had an old steak knife that had been sharpened as a marking knife. I saw it and started laughing, but it was sharpened to a wicked point and it was thin enough to reach into dove tails. Granted it’s probably not practical for most jobs, but I have noticed a lot of his tools were household items that had been repurposed.

But the true treasures of the collection were an antique hand brace, a couple of backsaws, and about 15 files and rasps,...and a great collection of Lathe chisels.

-- When my wife ask's what I have to show for my wood working hobby, I just show her the splinters.

#8 posted 08-31-2008 06:00 AM

Well, my new marking knives arrived & I’ve found that the manufacture of these knives has become very, very sloppy. The blades look just fine, the assembley is what is lacking. The rosewood handles are made with two flats on opposite sides. These flats keep the knife from rolling off the work surface. Not one of the three knives has the blade inserted correctly & the knives feel strange while using. They all have the blade rotated about 10 to 20 degrees, with none of them being the same. While it’s not hard to just pull out the blade & re-insert it into the handle, & it’ll be a nice knife afterwards, I didn’t have to do that with my old marking knife. Maybe I should-a just taken the “bbqking”s advice & used one of my old spade bits & make my own. I guess I’ll go to the shop & clamp these things in the vise & make them more to my liking.

Knife1

Knife2

#9 posted 08-31-2008 07:04 AM

Great revew. need a couple of these. maybe three or four so that I can find one when I need them.