The Master Techniques of Marquetry

Review by SteveKorz posted 2199 days ago 3089 views 2 times favorited 7 comments Add to Favorites Watch
The Master Techniques of Marquetry The Master Techniques of Marquetry The Master Techniques of Marquetry Click the pictures to enlarge them

I bought this DVD to gain a better understanding of Marquetry. I was very impressed with Silas Kopf’s methods of teaching his craft. Silas described multiple methods of marquetry and parquetry in his DVD. To watch him work gave me an exponential amount of knowledge. I don’t know that I would have obtained all that knowledge if I just read a book or looked at pictures.

The back of the DVD case says:

Silas Kopf demonstrates the most important ways marquetry and inlay have been fabricated since the eighteenth century. Subjects covered include: basic inlay, making bandings, parquetry, the Boulle process, traditional “piece by piece” packet cutting and double bevel sawing. There is no substitute for seeing a craftsman work in real time. This DVD illuminates techniques that seem complicated, but give the novice the understanding to begin his own pursuit of this wonderful craft. Running time 1 hour and 25 minutes.

You can see Silas Kopf’s homepage here, or his gallery. To order the DVD, you can find it here on Silas's website. I bought mine at a local Rockler store. The DVD sells for around $25. It certainly is worth every penny if you have even the most remote interest in marquetry.

-- As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another. (Proverbs 27:17) †

View SteveKorz's profile

SteveKorz

View tenontim's profile

tenontim

Steve, this was my introduction to marquetry. I enjoyed the DVD. Now if I can just find the time to try out some of the procedures he describes.

View SteveKorz's profile

SteveKorz

I’m with you… maybe this winter I can sit down and try it. He makes it look so simple.

-- As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another. (Proverbs 27:17) †

View motthunter's profile

motthunter

sounds great.. I would love to see it.

-- making sawdust....

View davidtheboxmaker's profile

davidtheboxmaker

I’ve seen excerts from this DVD. The speed he can work at is breathtaking.

View Douglas Bordner's profile

Douglas Bordner

Definitely in my must buy list! Thanks Steve.

-- "Bordnerizing" perfectly good lumber for over a decade.

View Grumpy's profile

Grumpy

19393 posts in 2484 days

Thanks for the lead Steve.

-- Grumpy - "Always look on the bright side of life"- Monty Python

View furnitologist's profile

furnitologist

Steve to go along with your review, here’s a video that provides discussion on woodworking and creating a marquetry tulip.

Thought you’d be interested…....Neil http://furnitology.blogspot.com/index.html