Where has this thing been my entire woodworking career?

Review by paxorion posted 01-12-2015 08:06 PM 5545 views 1 time favorited 5 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Where has this thing been my entire woodworking career? Where has this thing been my entire woodworking career? Where has this thing been my entire woodworking career? Click the pictures to enlarge them

The recent announcement of the Wood Peckers precision framing square sent me down a dangerous path of wondering where I can pull a few hundred bucks out of my budget for an impulse buy. After sanity checking myself, I decided that I need to bring myself back to reality and ask if there was an alternative to consider.

Enter the Veritas Square Fence. If a framing square were Tom Cruise, it would say “you complete me” to this Veritas innovation. I spotted this innovation in the Lee Valley catalog and was sold on the promise it affords. I’ve always struggled to use my bright blue Empire framing square for large layout tasks. Truth be told, the Veritas Ruler Stop I reviewed was the first item I picked as padding to get free shipping for this square fence.

Usage of this guy couldn’t be any easier. Slide the fence onto a framing square and tighten the two brass screws. The brass screws hold the fence rock solid, and it works just as well on thin and thick material. I did have to shim my square with one piece of plain paper since it was slightly off square. With the Veritas square fence, I no longer dread larger layout operations and I happily use my framing square.

DISCLAIMER: Photos taken from Lee Valley website.

Update 1/18/2015: Added a photo of my bright blue Empire square.

-- paxorion

View paxorion's profile

paxorion

1107 posts in 1951 days

View lab7654's profile

lab7654

#1 posted 01-13-2015 12:40 AM

I like the fact that you can shim it for accuracy… that’s the biggest downfall with framing squares for me

-- Tristin King -- When in doubt, sand it.

View JohnChung's profile

JohnChung

398 posts in 1980 days

#2 posted 01-13-2015 04:18 PM

Not a big win for me. This is better in design overall.

View patron's profile

patron

#3 posted 01-14-2015 03:30 AM

if your square is out

on the diagonal miter line
take a center punch on a metal surface
and if the square is closed from 90
punch the inside of the diagonal going to the outside corner
till it is square again
if it is open from 90

them do the same from the outside to the inside corner

to chek it as you go
on a straight pice of ply
set a mark and put the square there
and a mark at the other end
then flip the square over and on the same mark at the heel
check the top mark

when they are both at the same place
it is now at 90*

things happen and bad tools are bought sometimes or dropped
this is a way to check it thru the years

thanks for the link to the veritas
i’ll look into it

View Dark_Lightning's profile

Dark_Lightning

#4 posted 01-14-2015 04:01 AM

You beat me to it, David! I’d recommend that you wood workers go and get a copy of the Millwright’s Handbook, where more information like this is contained. Coming from a Journeyman Millwright.

-- Random Orbital Nailer

View SirIrb's profile

SirIrb

#5 posted 01-14-2015 05:05 PM

You beat me to it, David! I d recommend that you wood workers go and get a copy of the Millwright s Handbook, where more information like this is contained. Coming from a Journeyman Millwright.

- Dark_Lightning

Because I couldnt stop myself I had to see if a version was avaliable. Sure enough. http://www.unionmillwright.com/Practical_hand_book_for_millwrights.pdf
Sorry, it is promoting a union site [spit].

-- Don't blame me, I voted for no one.