Simple and user friendly, just the way I like it

Review by paxorion posted 01-12-2015 07:43 PM 3837 views 1 time favorited 1 comment Add to Favorites Watch
Simple and user friendly, just the way I like it Simple and user friendly, just the way I like it Simple and user friendly, just the way I like it Click the pictures to enlarge them

During a Woodworking Show, I saw the merit of ruler stops and cabinetmaker rulers for my layout. I impulse buy for a WoodPeckers Rule Stop-1 (the smaller brother of the Rule Stop-2 review that gave me the motivation to get to writing this review) and eventually decided that $30 was too much money to splurge. After waltzing over to the Lee Valley/Veritas booth, I spotted this Veritas Ruler Stop in their catalog and I figured it would be a good alternative.

I picked this up and a 12” cabinetmakers ruler during the Lee Valley free shipping sale. Initial impressions are that it isn’t as thickly made as the WoodPeckers Rule Stop-1, there is sufficient slack inside for the ruler to skew while moving it, but it locks down solidly with the knurled knob. In use, this thing is awesome. I’ve always used combination squares to draw parallel lines but I find that it gets dicey to keep the square registered at the beginning and end of a board. Too much meat that results in inadvertent pivoting of the square. This rule stop works like a champ, registering well and with a few uses, you’ll get your technique down. The setup I have is also much lighter, making it more user friendly. After a good amount of use over the past few days to get the hang of it, I now reach for it over a combination square almost all the time. If you don’t believe me, listen to Chris Schwarz. I look forward to picking up a few longer cabinetmakers rulers to augment this tool.

DISCLAIMER: Photos taken from Lee Valley website.

Update 1/18/2015: Added a photo of my current setup with a 12” cabinetmaker’s square.

-- paxorion

View paxorion's profile

paxorion

1 comment so far

View pjones46's profile

pjones46

#1 posted 01-13-2015 02:55 AM

Thank you for the review. I bought one of the older versions made from Brass in England several years ago. Back then they were about $4 each.

-- Respectfully, Paul