my dust collector

Review by woodnut posted 2071 days ago 7216 views 1 time favorited 10 comments Add to Favorites Watch
my dust collector No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Let me first say that this is the only dust collector that I have ever owned so I can’t make a comparision betweein this one and any other collector. Now for the review. From out of the box it took me about 3 hours to have it hanging on the wall. This sucker is heavy so you better have a friend or two to help with the lifting. After the installaton I was surprised at how strong this collector is. My shop is 20’x40’ and I can put my planner at the end of my shop and it has no problem handling the chips from that lenght. If I could give any advice it would be to buy the bin alarm to let you know when the barrell is ful of chips I will be ordering this in the near future. It is a bit of a pain to keep checking the barrell to see if the bin is full. At this time I can find nothing negative to say about this collector.So I hope this helps in someway and I will try and aswer any questions if you have any.I forgot to mention that this is the 3.5hp unit.

-- F.Little

View woodnut's profile

woodnut

View lew's profile

lew

#1 posted 2071 days ago

I must get something like this. The old box fan in the basement window just isn’t hacking it anymore.

Lew

-- Lew- Time traveler. Purveyor of the Universe's finest custom rolling pins.

View motthunter's profile

motthunter

#2 posted 2071 days ago

I am in the process of installing a new 2HP grizzly cyclone like yours. Should have it up and running soon. I think that htey are both good units

-- making sawdust....

View Garry's profile

Garry

#3 posted 2069 days ago

I recently installed the new JDS 3HP collector. I wanted to setup the collector under the stairs in the shop to save space. The JDS low profile allowed me to do this. The other nice features about this unit is it is on casters along with the 55 gal collection barrel that is on casters.
A nice feature was the collection barrel has a small window that shows when the chips are near the top.
It has a separate motor that automatically cleans the filter everytime the unit is turned off.

-- Garry, Engadine, Michigan (Upper Peninsula)

View Woodchuck1957's profile

Woodchuck1957

#4 posted 1986 days ago

I just recently bought a PSI Tempest 142, it is their 2hp unit. I’ve got the unit hung on the wall but need to hookup the inlet and the bag. I notice you mounted your motor brace down at the bottom flange, I had to do the same thing. Tempest142

View JDub's profile

JDub

#5 posted 1986 days ago

How is the noise of the system? I’ve been considering a cyclone system but have heard they are exceptionally loud. Curious to hear about your experience.

Thanks

-- "None of us is as dumb as all of us"

View woodnut's profile

woodnut

#6 posted 1985 days ago

woodchuck I know that you will love your cyclone I know that I wonder why I worked without one (money) but had I known how much cleaner it keeps the shop and lungs it would have been one of the first tools instead of one of the last. JDub, I want say it is quiet but it is not to bad. The real noise comes from the tools while the collector is on. I didn’t expect this, but take the planner for example it is pretty noisy by itself, but turn on the collector and it is more than twice as loud. I now have ear protection at the noisy machinery.

-- F.Little

View TrickyDick's profile

TrickyDick

#7 posted 1975 days ago

I also purchased and installed the Tempest “S” 3.5 horse cyclone in February. I installed it in the attic of my 26X38 shop. I installed 7” pipe throughout the shop and can run four 4” ports at any given time without loss of power. I love it!

I ran a 7” pipe from the cyclone back down to the shop floor into the supplied bin. Easy cleanup and does not take up wall for additional floor space. Took 4 big guys to get that sucker (no pun intended) into the attic.

-- Rick, San Antonio, TX www.knottyknotty.etsy.com

View Woodchuck1957's profile

Woodchuck1957

#8 posted 1912 days ago

Woodnut, actually before I bought this unit I had a Grizzly G1029 2hp double bagger. I bought the cyclone because I wanted something that was easier to empty the dust from without takeing up too much space. I had a garbage can seperator for the double bagger, but it was just another thing to hookup at the begining of the day, and it took up more shop space, so I rarely used the seperator, it was just too much hassle.

View Moron's profile

Moron

#9 posted 1912 days ago

I’ve always dreamed of putting the dust sucker in the loft, have the chips and dust automatically dump into a machine that makes “wood pellets” then have pellets dump down into a boiler via a “skew” turned on and off by a thermastat and the bolier would heat my radient floor…..................free heat, no more dust bags and chips to deal with.

ah, the perfect world!

-- "Good artists borrow, great artists steal”…..Picasso

View DavidNJ's profile

DavidNJ

Over 4 years later, how is it running?