"JUST ABOUT" isn't close enough any more.

Review by SteveKorz posted 2172 days ago 2671 views 0 times favorited 26 comments Add to Favorites Watch
"JUST ABOUT" isn't close enough any more. No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I just bought this caliper. I had an old one that was not digital, it just had stamped lines and measurements. I’ve used it for years, and considered it priceless. But, here lately, I’ve been wanting to get a little more accurate. So, I bought this Wixey brand 6” Digital readout caliper with fractions. WOW! I was really surprised at the difference. What I thought was good in the past is now not acceptable. This caliper has helped me be a better woodworker in so many ways.

Wixey has “Precise Fraction Technology” which means that when other digital calipers measure 1/2”, Wixey may show a 1/2” on the screen, but it will also show the actual measurement in thousands of an inch, such as 0.497” when 0.500” is a true 1/2”. It is highly accurate. Look here to see just how easy this caliper is to use.

It is also constructed of high quality hardened and ground stainless steel components. This tool does not feel “flimsy” or like a toy in my hand. It feels like an instrument should. It comes with a plastic case with a foam cutout to contain the tool. I will eventually make a nice wooden case, but will keep the foam cutout.

“JUST ABOUT” isn’t close enough any more.

Here are some stats from the manufacturer:

Measuring Length: 6 in. (155mm )
Resolution: Decimal = .001 in.
Fraction = 1/64 in.
Metric = .05 mm

Accuracy: Decimal = +/- .0005 in.
Fraction = +/- 1/500 in.
Metric = +/- .025 mm

Battery: 6 months life; type CR2032
Functions: – IN /MM
- ON/OFF
- ZERO
- Auto shut off

This caliper is a beauty for the price. You can find it at www.wixey.com for $38.99 and free shipping.

Thanks for reading.

—Steve

-- As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another. (Proverbs 27:17) †

View SteveKorz's profile

SteveKorz

View lew's profile

lew

I have been very impressed with the Wixey products. They certainly have filled the gap between mechanical and digital measuring devices and at a reasonable price.

That said, I have often wondered if we woodworkers are going over board- with the accuracy thing- when measuring a piece of wood. We are always talking about the types of joints that will permit the wood to move. Gluing situations that also permit wood movement. Yet we try to cut a board to 3 decimal places accuracy.

I believe when setting up a machine, “just about” isn’t good enough. Vertical means vertical and perpendicular is 90 degrees. But, board sizes will change with the weather.

Oh, yeah- I have a digital caliper and use it all of the time- so who am I to talk?

Lew

-- Lew- Time traveler. Purveyor of the Universe's finest custom rolling pins.

View CharlieM1958's profile

CharlieM1958

I have a digital caliper, but I regret not getting one with a fractional readout, since I always tend to think in fractions. (Does that make me a 1/2 wit?)

Lew makes a good point about getting crazy with accuracy. It’s WOOD people! LOL!

-- Charlie M. "Woodworking - patience = firewood"

View Joero's profile

Joero

I also have a digital caliper.
Be careful… mine has a crystal window….
Yup you guessed it, I dropped it onto the table saw, and the crystal cracked.
I called every person I could think of… it can’t be replaced.
So I taped it over and use it as is.
Bummer, but it still work’s, just be careful…..Joero

-- Makers of fine butcher shop saw dust.

View tenontim's profile

tenontim

Yeah, I’ve gone off the deep end too. I put a digital gauge on my planer, now everything is down to the hundredth of an inch. Looking to get the angle meter and maybe the digital position indicators for my table saw.
I’ll probably upgrade my caliper to digital soon, too. Boy, what ever happened to story boards and folding rules?

View lew's profile

lew

Charlie,

Are you one of the three wit brothers?

Dim, Half and Nit. JUST KIDDING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :>)

Lew

-- Lew- Time traveler. Purveyor of the Universe's finest custom rolling pins.

View John Gray's profile

John Gray

Thanks Steve!!! I’ve been looking at these and now you’ve made up my mind I’m buying one next week. I think it will really help when deviding a distance in half.
John Gray

-- Only the Shadow knows....................

View CharlieM1958's profile

CharlieM1958

Lew, that’s me!

I stay close at all times to my brothers Nit and Dim, so I can truthfully tell people I’ve got all my Wits about me. :-)

-- Charlie M. "Woodworking - patience = firewood"

View Grumpy's profile

Grumpy

19319 posts in 2452 days

Me too Steve. I have a mechanical one made out of some sort of plastic& a didital one like yours. Silly enough but I tend to use the plastic one the most mainly because the battery ran out on the good one. LOL.

-- Grumpy - "Always look on the bright side of life"- Monty Python

View Dan'um Style's profile

Dan'um Style

good inspection tools take a woodworker to the next level.

enjoyed reading the review

-- keeping myself entertained ... Humor and fun lubricate the brain

View GaryK's profile

GaryK

I always use a dial caliper for precision. Doesn’t have fractions though.

Good Deal!

View Lee A. Jesberger's profile

Lee A. Jesberger

Hi Steve;

Anything to get us to the next level is a great thing. Especially if it’s under $ 50.00

Have fun with your new toy, but keep in mind you just threw away any excuses related to not having a digital caliper!

Great review;

Lee

View motthunter's profile

motthunter

wixey makes good stuff!

-- making sawdust....

View PowerToolGuy's profile

PowerToolGuy

It really is amazing how accurate most digital calipers are as well as how inexpensive they can be. Most are accurate to within +/- .001”. More than enough for any woodworking and most any metalworking.

-- Jeff, Central Illinois, http://www.TheToolSpot.us

View SteveKorz's profile

SteveKorz

Thanks for all your comments, you guys crack me up… lol…

I’ve been using this thru my shop, measuring everything that I can measure. I’m finding out that some of my router bits aren’t what the say they are, some are oversized, some just right, and some that I’ve sharpened for a while now need to go in a “less than accurate” box. No wonder I can’t get some things to fit like I’d wanted to in the past, joints too tight or too loose. When I’m working on something precision like a joint or inlay, I’m going to measure the inlay and the router bit in the future to make sure I can get it as close as possible to get the best fit.

I agree with Lew to an extent, “it’s just wood.” But I’m finding myself measuring things like old drill bits that aren’t marked with the size, router bits, and so on.

This thing is handy as heck, I’m not really sure what I did to “just get by” before when I didn’t have it.

-- As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another. (Proverbs 27:17) †

View ND2ELK's profile

ND2ELK

Hi Steve

Thanks for the review! I was wanting to get one of these. It is nice to have someone I know that can give me a thumbs up on this tool.

God Bless