Steel City ... Hollow Chisel Mortiser ... happy buyer

Review by Dan'um Style posted 2176 days ago 10080 views 1 time favorited 17 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Steel City ... Hollow Chisel Mortiser ... happy buyer No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Bought the Steel City Mortiser today on the way home from work. link to tool store Mueller

Assembly, no problems … intuitive design

Came with 4 bits and chisels. Black and white, printed boxes exactlly the same as came with my old Delta.

Pros:
Fence looks real good. Nice design. Fine adjustment knob is a plus. Worked good.
Big table base , easy to fasten to work bench. Very stable.
Pull out, cast iron table extensions go to about 36 inches. Solid fit.
I thought the $289 price was a good deal.
Rubber rollers hold the stock next to the fence very well.

Cons:
Tool tray only 4 places
Will need to buy the Height Attachment. It Raises the height of the mortising head 2 3/8” to accommodate larger work pieces.
Heavy for a 54 year old man, good thing I have a back support belt

Recommend this one.

link to Steel City data sheet for this tool

Dan'um Style

Looks great Dan. Good luck. I find that the tools do a great job if you set them up right.

Lee Jesberger mentioned to me the other day that the back fence was not 90 Deg with the table and the holes were cut crooked into the wood. He blamed Bruce his employee until he checked out the fence. He had to use emory paper and grind off some extra metal to get it to 90 deg.

Mine flexes when I clamp a piece of wood up to the fence and I was getting the same condition that Lee had. My rear fence was a seperate piece from the base. I put some coke can shims under the rear of the fence to make it about 87 deg and when I tighten the wood it bends it to 90 deg, I’m looking for some solid steel block that is 90 deg to replace the fence.

View Lee A. Jesberger's profile

Lee A. Jesberger

Hi Dan,

A great brand, I’m glad you like it.

Th unit Karson , mentioned is a Powermatic. Great machine, a bit expensive. But I was disappointed in the fact the cast iron fence was machined out of square.

Once that once fixed,the machine is great.

Good luck with your unit.

Lee

Dan'um Style

The Peggster and I checked the fence with a 3 inch machinest square. No daylight.

Fence appears to have a couple 1/2” dia delrun or uhmw buttons. Some manufacturing engineer thought up a clever method to make a square fence.

Nice finish on the table top too. Blanchard ground. No visable defects. Looks like a nice casting.

View Douglas Bordner's profile

Douglas Bordner

Glad your happy with it, Dan. I’m sure you give a mortiser a run for it’s money with the style of your work.

-- "Bordnerizing" perfectly good lumber for over a decade.

View motthunter's profile

motthunter

cool. I know others that say that this is the best one out there for the money

-- making sawdust....

Thanks guys !

Compared to my ole Delta’s, this one is a big, solid upgrade.

View bayouman's profile

bayouman

Dan, I just recently ( about two months ago) purchased the same Steel City model. My first project went extremely well. I really like the whole set up.

Photobucket

View brianinpa's profile

brianinpa

Dan, you aren’t messing around. I have been looking at these for quite some time. Right now I can’t get past the price tag. One son is starting college and the other already talking about it. Until they are out of school, it is mallet and chisle for me.

-- Brian, Lebanon PA, If you aren’t having fun doing it, find something else to do.

View gphill's profile

gphill

3 posts in 1996 days

#10 posted 1995 days ago

Hello !
New to the group and I can say, There is a lot of great information here. I have started my new projects, Now, I am currently looking for a good Hollow bit chisle Drill, I have looked at Steel city , GI, Woodtek and luguna. So much but, I am leaning towards the Steel city. I am building a Cherry Blanket chest to start with and then off to tables and finally a queen bed frame. I will need the drill for Mortise joints and for the Bed project I am using Tiget maple. If you all have any great suggestion as to the drill I would appreciate it and after I finish my first project I will post a photo of the chest.
I want to thank you all for your reviews and with time I wil learn more as I go.
Great site and learning is a daily quest!
Gphill

-- Gphill,Winchester,wwwwoodworkergphill.com

View Chris 's profile

Chris

#11 posted 1932 days ago

Dan, I just picked up one of these “used” and am looking forward to trying it out. I have the mortising attachment for my drill press, boy was that a disappointment, so this should be a huge improvement.

#12 posted 1932 days ago

Find some sharpe cutters … it make a big difference. I have never found a cutter brand I didn’t like. They all work pretty good. Even the cheap ones.

View Chris 's profile

Chris

#13 posted 1932 days ago

Thanks…. I’ll have to do that.

View Beginningwoodworker's profile