Ridgid Compound Sliding Miter Saw MS1290LZA, Up For Review

Review by woodshopmike posted 01-06-2015 08:28 PM 5599 views 0 times favorited 4 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Ridgid Compound Sliding Miter Saw MS1290LZA, Up For Review No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

As usual, I’ll give you a teaser and you can check out the rest of the review on my blog.

Here’s the gist. For 95% of woodworkers out there this saw is it. It’s a feature packed saw that does a lot of stuff well but falls just a little short in others. For the price, you can’t beat it.

I really wanted to absolutely love with saw and have no faults with it, but since it’s a sliding miter saw there is going to be some amount of play. The slop that was in the saw direct from the factory is rather unacceptable but with a little tweaking (honestly took 5 minutes) the accuracy was greatly improved.

Like I said, great saw for the money but it’s not perfect.

On a side note, the 10” sliding mitersaw does seem to have less slop than it’s bigger brother. It’s a slightly different design too, dunno if they’re trying out a new design on the smaller saw with the intention to changed the MS1290LZA…

Anyways, follow the link for my full review of the Ridgid Compound Sliding Miter Saw MS1290LZA

-- www.woodshopmike.com, www.woodshopmikestudio.etsy.com

View woodshopmike's profile

woodshopmike

View Drjohn1963's profile

Drjohn1963

#1 posted 01-06-2015 09:01 PM

My main gripe with Ridgid and Ryobi… they both use a small plastic “safety key” without which you cannot turn the saw on. Home Depot (their only vendor of whom I am aware) does not carry this key in store or online and you cannot order it from them. If your key is lost or damaged, you cannot go to the store and get another. They remove the key from the saws on the floor in all of my local stores, because people steal them (so they know this is an issue). They still do not sell the key. This REALLY messed me up for a week in the middle of a project while I had to order the key from a third party online vendor (for $25 for a four pack!!!!!) before I could use my saw again. I am VERY leery of trusting these folks with that sort of customer service mindset…

-- John; Illinois woodworking hobbyist

View woodshopmike's profile

woodshopmike

#2 posted 01-06-2015 09:27 PM

John,

I feel your pain about the safety keys. As a dad to be, I really like this feature. Since most of these tools are geared towards homeowner use I think they serve a good purpose.

Luckily this mitersaw does not have a safety key on it.

-- www.woodshopmike.com, www.woodshopmikestudio.etsy.com

View BigAL4160's profile

BigAL4160

#3 posted 01-06-2015 10:04 PM

you can bypass the safety key by inserting a nail into the bottom hole where the key should go and lift up on the switch. Takes a little fooling around to get the feel but then its Ez Pz.

View Grumpymike's profile

Grumpymike

#4 posted 01-08-2015 06:02 PM

After a move a few years ago I was missing one of the keys, so after a few weeks of swapping the key to the tool I wanted to use (I have several tools that use the same key).
We found some at Sears Craftsman Dept. A blister pack hanging on the wall near the power tools.

-- Grumpy old guy, and lookin' good Doin' it. ... Surprise Az.