WorkSharp WS3000 Makes Sharpening a Breeze

Review by IHRedRules posted 01-05-2015 12:41 AM 8358 views 1 time favorited 14 comments Add to Favorites Watch
WorkSharp WS3000 Makes Sharpening a Breeze No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I’ve slowly been getting into woodworking over the last couple years. Since I began purchasing planes and chisels, I would just use them as-is, right out of the box. I had a fear that if I tried to sharpen them, I’d manage to somehow screw them up. Last month when I was in Sears, I found a WorkSharp WS3000 in the clearance section. It was completely sealed in the box and was $109 and change. I finally had a chance to put it to work, so I sharpened a cheap TSC set of chisels for outside work, my Stanley Sweetheart 750 set, and my Jack Plane. Initial setup was quite simple; it took me maybe 15 minutes. I started with the cheap TSC chisel set in case I made a mistake. Right away, I was making sharp chisels. Probably the one thing I find the most exciting about this product is that there is no learning curve. Simply run your pieces through the different grits and bingo, a sharp tool. Another positive is that the tool is very quiet, at least with my torpedo heater running anyway. I am very pleased with this tool. Would I recommend this to others looking at getting into sharpening their tools? YES, I sure would. Now I feel like a fool for having had a fear of sharpening my tools when there was no need to fear sharpening.

View IHRedRules's profile

IHRedRules

View kocgolf's profile

kocgolf

#1 posted 01-05-2015 03:40 AM

I have their Ken Onion Edition knife sharpener and it’s amazing. I plan to get one of these as soon as budget allows. I love my little water stones and the “old school” vibe, but sharpening is something that, really it doesn’t matter HOW you do it, you just have to DO IT. So whatever system get’s it done best for you, in the most painless way, use that. Thanks for the review! Wish I could find it for $109!

#2 posted 01-05-2015 02:03 PM

I had one of this Worksharp, I used once and then I never used it again, After a few years I sold to to someone else.

View Andre's profile

Andre

1963 posts in 1892 days

#3 posted 01-05-2015 03:13 PM

I use a hollow grind and water stones, with the 60 1/2 blade can have a fresh edge in about 2 minutes, but since I switched to the LV PMV blades this happens very seldom. Sometimes I do use the Vertias honing guide to put a new angle on a blade or to bring it back to square after a boo boo!

-- Lifting one end of the plank.

View johnstoneb's profile

johnstoneb

#4 posted 01-05-2015 04:19 PM

I’ve had the WS 3000 for about a year and half.It works great. I actually sharpen tools now. Sharp tools are great to work with.

-- Bruce, Boise, ID

View kapanen's profile

kapanen

#5 posted 01-06-2015 01:52 AM

curious on how it would do with lathe chisels?

-- "Art washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life"....Pablo Picasso

View flwoodhacker's profile

flwoodhacker

#6 posted 01-06-2015 11:28 AM

The Worksharp has been a valuable tool in my shop. Like you commented, it is easy to set up and start sharpening. In response to sharpening lathe tools I have seen jigs built for that purpose. I use a slow speed grinder and the Wolverine system (that rocks). Stumpy has a setup that looks pretty interesting: http://www.stumpynubs.com/worksharp-3000.html (Stumpy owes me a t-shirt for the plug).

No matter what method you use to sharpen your tools just keep them sharp. Makes woodworking tasks easier and a lot less dangerous.

View Holt's profile

Holt

#7 posted 01-06-2015 04:05 PM

curious on how it would do with lathe chisels?

- kapanen

It works great (for me) with straight edges. i got the plane blade gadget to go with mine and it makes sharpening pretty much user proof. If you had a good eye and hand, you could probably do lathe chisels, but if you had both of those, why would you need this beasty.

You can buy better paper for less from Klingspor (http://www.woodworkingshop.com/product/sd06199/#.VKwHOyvF_AQ). i bought enough of the glass disks that I can dedicate one (top and bottom) to one particular grit. Makes it fast to fly through the grits for chisels (bottom) or plane blades (top).

-- ...Specialization is for insects.

View mramseyISU's profile

mramseyISU

#8 posted 01-06-2015 05:24 PM

Holt That’s good to know about that paper. I love my worksharp but hate how much abrasives cost.

-- Trust me I'm an engineer.

View ChuckC's profile

ChuckC

#9 posted 01-06-2015 09:49 PM

I have this and used it for a while. I bought a LN 4 1/2 plane and the blade it too wide for this sharpener. I ended up getting water stones and now I prefer that. I now use the WS to establish the primary bevel for whatever I have to sharpen, minus the 4 1/2, and move on to the water stones after that for the secondary bevel and go up to 10k in grit.

Another thing about the WS is I never got the hang of free honing with the felt wheel and leather wheel. I think I ended up making it worse so I stopped using them.

View woodmaker's profile

woodmaker

#10 posted 01-07-2015 03:08 PM

I have this and love it. I can’t sharpen worth a hoot and this takes that stress away.
I haven’t done Lathe tools or carving tools yet but with the see through window on the specific disc you can see where you need to grind at.
Of course now that I have two lathes (mini & midi) I suppose I better learn.

-- Mike

View sikrap's profile

sikrap

#11 posted 01-10-2015 02:51 AM

For those that are looking to buy one of these, check your local Sears Outlet. There are some available at these outlets at ridiculously low prices.

-- Dave, Colonie, NY

View Woodknack's profile

Woodknack

#12 posted 01-12-2015 06:06 PM

A fellow woodworker showed me his work sharp over the weekend. He uses it for chisels and lathe tools. Impressive how quickly it achieved a mirror polished, razor sharp edge.

-- Rick M, http://thewoodknack.blogspot.com/

View Fired_Yo_Momma's profile

Fired_Yo_Momma

#13 posted 01-12-2015 06:11 PM

Sears outlet has these on sale right now for 71 bucks

View Woodknack's profile

Woodknack

#14 posted 01-12-2015 06:30 PM

That’s a low price, even for reconditioned.

-- Rick M, http://thewoodknack.blogspot.com/