Grizzly G0555 Ultimate Bandsaw Assembly

Review by Matt Schnurbusch posted 2170 days ago 14106 views 7 times favorited 17 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Grizzly G0555 Ultimate Bandsaw Assembly No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Grizzly G0555 Bandsaw Assembly

————————————————————————————————————————

This is a really long post. If you just want to see the slide show click HERE.

Due to the recommendations of the woodworking world and the World Wide Web as a whole I bought the Grizzly G0555 Ultimate Bandsaw. Now, I know there are a bazillion people out there that are PowerMatic freaks, or Delta freaks, or <name-that-brand> freaks, but at the end of the day we all have a budget that we have to work within. If you have the funds to go PowerMatic, or one of the other “high-end” brands then I’m envious. From everything I’ve read in countless forums websites and magazines, Grizzly is the way to go for the budget shopper (strictly on stationary tools). With that being said let’s get to it.

I ordered my saw, and received it about 4 days later. Be advised, it says very clearly on the box “DO NOT STAND ON END”. Either shippers do not read the boxes, or they don’t think the labels apply to them. I arrived at the back of the truck with my heavy duty two wheeled hand cart in tow to find the driver carefully lowering my saw down on its end. The box was beat to H-E-double hockey sticks. I took a picture, and it’s in the slide show, but it does not do it justice. We laid the box down for me to inspect the innards. I was ‘OK’ with what I saw so it was time to get it out of the middle of the street and into the shop. Mind you, in my excitement, I still hadn’t seen the label stating not to stand it on end. The driver stands the box back up ON END and onto my cart. I sign the papers (noting the damage to the box) and wheel it away. While going down the sidewalk I see for the first time… “PRECISION MACHINERY. DO NOT STAND ON END” My heart sank, what could have possibly broken? Well, at this point I’m almost there so why bother stopping now? A few more steps and the “precision machinery” is in the shop and gently laid back down on its side.

I’m chomping at the bit to get this bad-boy put together, but the wife has to work late. So, I have to get my son off the bus (insert favorite cuss here)!!!

Too many days pass before I get back out to the shop. My shop is 12 miles from my home but that’s a different story. Anyway…

After entirely too long, I get back out to assemble the saw. Because the box was beat up so badly, I opened it carefully and slowly. I didn’t want to be the cause of more damage, if it existed. To my delight, the saw was almost completely unharmed. One of the upper side panels of the base was bent, but I can’t for the life of me figure out how that happened in shipping, it was bent the wrong way. In any case straightening it out was not a problem, tap, tap, tap. The only other “issue” was that the bottom blade guard was bent. Again no problem to straighten, but with this one I can blame packaging/handling.

Now, before I go on (and on), I am one of those rare people that enjoys assembling stuff like this. If I remember right, it took me about 3-and-a-half hours to put this beast together. I read several reports where it was done and running in 1.5 hours and I can believe it. I just really like to take my time. It doesn’t help that I am a slow reader.

After reading through the manual completely (great assembly instructions) I started to work. I removed the machine from the box. I stood it up so I could revel in its glory. Then I thought, “boy that was heavy… How am I going to install the riser and assemble this thing alone?” Well, I work alone almost exclusively so I improvised like I always do.

Installing the riser, alone, was the first order of business. Like I said this puppy is quite heavy. So I strategically cut the Styrofoam packaging to use as an assistant. With my little helper the install was quite easy. It still took a little man-handling but it wasn’t too difficult. After the saw was back vertical (the exciting part) I decided to assemble the base. I separated all of the hardware first so I knew what was what and got started. The base was no problem and again the directions were great.

Now, pick up the saw body UUMMPHH!!! And set it down without scratching anything. At that point the saw was basically done. Yeah, yeah, yeah I know there are still lots of steps. But, the directions are great so follow them, UNTIL…

When you get the entire saw assembled, but before you install and tension the new blade STOP!!! This was where the assembly instructions, or lack thereof, became a problem. Grizzly mysteriously left out the part of the instructions where you have to adjust the tensioner assembly when you install a riser. Not knowing this, I installed the new blade and tensioned it per the directions. What I didn’t notice was that the tension cross bars twisted up like used tin-foil. I’m mean that bad boy bent like, well look at the picture.
Bent Tensioner

I called Grizzly the next day, cuz they were closed GRRR!! And they sent out the replacement parts immediately. The customer rep also forwarded me an instruction set to adjust the tension assembly via email in a pdf. I received the parts in 3 days. I’m glad I didn’t NEED my saw. But hey I still call that pretty darned good customer service. Granted, they left it out of the instructions sent with the machine and/or the riser, but they gladly worked with me to resolve the issue as quickly as possible.

The new parts arrived, and again 3 days later, I was able to get out to the shop to install them. I think it was five bolts total for the whole assembly. It took about 3 minutes. Making all of the necessary adjustments to avoid bending everything again took another 2 minutes. Kind of a bummer it took 5 minutes to fix, but six days to get the parts and have time to get back at it. I guess that’s why I’m writing this.

I got to use the saw today for the first time. I love it!! I don’t even have a good blade on it yet and I still LOVE IT. If you want to view a slide show of the assembly process now, go here.
If you have any questions send me a PM or email me at ablehands@nc.rr.com

Oh, the light you see in the last pic of the slide show… 20 bucks at Target. Magnetic mount or clamp mount. Runs on three AAA batteries. Bluish LEDs that provide pretty good light. I just have it clamped right now, but if I decide that I like the light it provides I’ll drill, tap, and mount it.

Matt

View Mark Shymanski's profile

Mark Shymanski

Great blog, I’ve been looking at various BSs as well and agree with you it seems to be the one that people with our kinds of budgets purchase and are (from what I’ve read) happy with the saw. Thanks for the info on the missing portion of instructions…I’m going to favourite this blog so when I can actually scrounge the $ together to buy a BS I will have your comments handy. Thanks for posting this.

-- "Checking for square? What madness is this! The cabinet is square because I will it to be so!" Jeremy Greiner LJ Topic#20953 2011 Feb 2

View PurpLev's profile

PurpLev

Great Review, I’m in the market for a Bandsaw, and it’s good to know that there are some good options out there that won’t hurt the bank (too much) but still prove to be good powerhorses

-- ㊍ When in doubt - There is no doubt - Go the safer route.

View motthunter's profile

motthunter

I had trouble with parts on my griz cyclone dust collector, but hey went way over my expectations in fixing the challenges and parts issues,

-- making sawdust....

View Hawgnutz's profile

Hawgnutz

Thanks for the informative post/review! I am planning tpo replace my Craftsman bandsaw, and I am leaning towards the Grizzly ultimate, like you have. I am glad to hear that they have the same great customer service that they showed towards the dado blade I got from them.

I hope you have many years of happy cutting with this saw!

God Bless,
Hawg

-- Saving barnwood from the scrapyards

View Rick Sergi's profile

Rick Sergi

Matt -

Any chance you could post the tensioner pdf?? I have this saw and love it but
have always struggled with that!

Thanks!

Rick

-- Rick Sergi - Bethlehem, PA

Matt Schnurbusch

I have sent a request to Grizzly for a link to the document at there site. There was a rather lengthy confidentiality srtatement at the bottom of the email I received from them, making me uncomfortable posting the doc here.

Matt

View John's profile

John

Matt:

Great post – really like the slideshow and your helper!

My G0555 is the most useful tool in my shop – I use it for a lot of what I used to use my table saw for. It’s a shame Grizzly doesn’t spend just a couple more dollars on packaging… could avoid a lot of problems.

Good luck with it.

-- John - Central PA - http://affyx.wordpress.com

spaids

I just got my Extension Kit for my Grizzly G0555. After reading this blog I would have thought they Grizzly was including the supplemental directions for tensioning the blade on the now 12” ban saw. I’m glad I got Matt to email the PDF because Grizzly did NOT include these instructions. You kinda need this page for the extension kit so shame on Grizzly. The directions they did send were good up to the point of putting on a blade. I am also not pleased with the piece of crap blade guard they sent me. It will need some bending and tweaking before its even close to fitting on the saw. But for $60 its probably the cheapest upgrade of its kind.

spaids

oh yea warning to anyone considering this upgrade! You will need a very big wrench! Luckily I have a gear head neighbor who had a 26mm wrench. A crescent wrench would not fit on the bolt and have enough room to turn.

spaids

I just looked at the Grizzly PDF manual for this saw online and the instructions for blade tensioning that were missing for some people are incorporated in the current online manual. Its Page 42.

View Chris Moran's profile

Chris Moran

as is typical, I don’t have my stuff next to me, but I believe my manual had those instructions. HOWEVER, even though I followed them, I’m certain something’s not right. If I cut stick that’s taller than an inch or so, the blade curves vertically by the time I get to the end of the cut. My only thought is that I might not have it tensioned enough, but I didn’t want to create too much tension and it appears to be set as described in the instructions?

I’d love to hear some ideas on what I should do to check that and fix it. Many of the projects I’ve wanted to take on require being able to cut straight in thicker stock – currently not reliable.

thanks,
Chris

Chris,

It could be quite a few things on a brand new saw.

Make sure the wheels are coplanar.

For me blade tension took a while to figure out. If you are trying to use the markings on the spring block, forget about it. On my saw if I have a 1/2” blade in I tension almost to the 3/4” marking before it’s right.

Once you have the blade tensioned properly, make sure it is tracking correctly.

The adjust the guide bearings, remember to adjust both sets (upper and lower). I recently saw a tip on adjusting the bearings where the tipster put a single wrap of blue painters tape around the blade and then moved the bearings up to just touch the tape. Then with the tape removed the bearings were positioned just right.

Good luck with it. It’s a great saw once you get it set up right.

View Chris Moran's profile

Chris Moran

(I know, I posted this quite some time ago…)
The tech support from Grizzly commented that I should get a new blade, that the OEM blade it came with is more for setup. That sentiment was replicated elsewhere in these forums and elsewhere.
That sucks.. would think they’d sell it with a blade that’s more useful, but at least I know. So, I’m going to buy a couple blades. Would love some advice on which to get… I’ve searched out “how to select band saw blades” and most are lacking in specifics or use different terminology than I see in some stores.

I’ll likely 99% only be cutting wood. My first real project will be a gaming table and I think I’ll be looking to use Red Oak. I’m a novice on wood knowledge, this I keep an OLD “Cabinet Making and Millwork” book next to me. I don’t know if I’ll use harder wood, but I know I’d like to rip with it or possibly small scale milling, so I know I’ll need to max out the 3/4” blade width. But to TPI and tooth layout… not sure. Speed isn’t a super issue, I’m not usually in a rush – just want it to cut right, and clean is nice… and I’d like to not have to replace the blades often.

I figure I’ll also be making some puzzle/toys for my boy (13 months old yesterday) so a smaller blade for small
diameter cuts is obvious.

Thoughts?

111999 posts in 2174 days

very well done good review

View Matt88's profile

Matt88

I stumbled upon this thread looking for something else and this has me concerned. I just got the G0555 band saw and out the riser kit on it and I did not have any issues when I tensioned the new blade? Did I miss something?