Impulse purchase - seems ok but..

Review by philba posted 01-02-2015 08:36 PM 2704 views 0 times favorited 6 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Impulse purchase - seems ok but.. Impulse purchase - seems ok but.. No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

So in the question feed my addiction, I swung by Rockler. The protractor was on sale for $10. The sales guy told me that they are going to be on sale in the new flyer for $15. I’m kind of a sucker for measuring tools so I bought it.

First impression – it is well made. The ruler moves smoothly and the tightening knob works well. The display is easily readable. It shows .1 degree measurements. Probably the biggest drawback is how you calibrate it. As you can see in the picture, the cross piece is fairly short (3.5”). The second picture shows how you calibrate it line up the ruler and cross piece and press the zero button. However, making sure that both the ruler and the cross piece are aligned is not that easy due to a bit of separation between the two. But worse, measuring 90 degrees looks to be very had due to the short cross piece. and, there are no “detents” for 90. I would not trust this device for machine set up. I will continue to rely on my Groz machinist square. Not sure I would use it to measure an angle for cutting wood – my Incra miter is better for that. Oh well…

View philba's profile

philba

View Tennessee's profile

Tennessee

#1 posted 01-03-2015 12:02 AM

I bought a Husky digital level about a year back on a similar impulse. Looked cool, in reality not worth much. Found it still in its canvas bag the other day looking for a backup multimeter in a box I keep electronic measuring devices in.

-- Tsunami Guitars and Custom Woodworking, Cleveland, TN

View dustyal's profile

dustyal

#2 posted 01-03-2015 01:33 AM

I have a couple of electronic measuring devices. But when I go to use them, the button battery is usually dead. I tend reach first for the analog devices.

-- Al H. - small shop, small projects...

View pauljuilleret's profile

pauljuilleret

#3 posted 01-03-2015 09:29 AM

I bought a digital angle gauge from one of the major suppliers a few years back it works great as long as you buy the button batteries by the pound every time I would go to use it the battery was dead it’s been laying on the shelf now for over a year nice concept tool just isn’t worth a darn batteries are a bit pricy also don’t see me buying anything like that again for a while

View CharlesA's profile

CharlesA

3341 posts in 1944 days

#4 posted 01-03-2015 04:41 PM

I keep hearing this battery issue, and I don’t get it. I use a digital bevel gauge, a digital angle gauge for table saw, and a digital depth gauge for blade/bit height. Maybe I don’t use them that much, I don’t know, but I’ve never changed the battery in the bevel gauge, once on the depth gauge, and never on the angle gauge.

I’ve had all of them for over 2 years, I think.

View philba's profile

philba

#5 posted 01-03-2015 06:02 PM

I have a number of them, too and have replaced maybe 2 batteries over the last few years. I don’t doubt that there are defective ones that deplete batteries quickly. By design, these devices are pretty good in that regard, though.

View whitewulf's profile

whitewulf

#6 posted 01-04-2015 07:08 PM

Fello Jocks
When l start a projects, locate nesassary tools, items,nails, screws etc. Same wit batteries, one item to know about button cells, care must be taken to “Donot use analog voltmeter to check voltage” they can DRAIN THE BATTERY WHILE FUMBLING wit battery, also holding poles between fingers !
jus my $.02 wort YMMV

IMHO, the battirey situation,is like any othes item in my shop.

-- "ButI'mMuchBetterNow"