No manual lock, auto brake doesn't work, frustrating to use

Review by Woodknack posted 01-02-2015 07:54 AM 2841 views 0 times favorited 9 comments Add to Favorites Watch
No manual lock, auto brake doesn't work, frustrating to use No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Woodcraft donated a bunch of these as door prizes to our local woodworking club. The guys passing them out were making fun of them. At first glance it seems like a nice tape measure. It fits the hand well. Looks good for plastic. Has a good rubber grip. The numbers are easy to read and the fractions are clearly marked. The problem is it has no manual lock, instead it has an auto brake so when you pull it out it’s supposed to stay then you press a button to retract. Unfortunately the brake on mine doesn’t work so the only way to keep it out is pinch your finger against the bottom of the blade. I checked it against my 16’ Stanley and the numbers lined up out to about 11’. Don’t know if the inside/outside measurement is accurate. If the brake worked I would give it 4 stars.

Pros:
  • Fits the hand
  • Easy to read
  • Fractions marked
Cons:
  • Auto brake doesn’t work
  • No manual lock
  • Strap tends to get in the way

[UPDATE] This has been in my shop since last summer and the auto brake never worked. I brought it into the house and after a week the brake started working. Maybe the humidity difference, I don’t know. Anyway I up’d the review to 3 stars.

[Update2] The brake stopped working again and I gave up on this thing. It’s an annoying piece of crap.

I hated this tape, tossed it in the garbage.

View JoeinGa's profile

JoeinGa

7736 posts in 2003 days

#1 posted 01-02-2015 02:00 PM

Thanks for sharing. I never liked a strap on a tape measure. Never felt the need to tether it to myself, and since I wont be going into outer space any time soon ….

-- Perform A Random Act Of Kindness Today ... Pay It Forward

View doubleDD's profile

doubleDD

7382 posts in 2039 days

#2 posted 01-02-2015 02:10 PM

I have no problem with the one I received from Woodcraft over a year ago and use it around the house quite a bit. I don’t use it for building anything but like its size for carrying around. Shame to here yours is not up to par but as the saying goes if it’s free, beware.

-- Dave, Downers Grove, Il. -------- When you run out of ideas, start building your dreams.

View Bogeyguy's profile

Bogeyguy

548 posts in 2064 days

#3 posted 01-02-2015 09:30 PM

It was a freebee, use it or pitch it.

-- Art, Pittsburgh.

View chad's profile

chad

#4 posted 01-03-2015 07:32 AM

You get what you pay for and free doesn’t buy much.

-- Chad, Utah, knottyalder.com

#5 posted 01-03-2015 08:04 AM

Don’t like it? Don’t read it. I believe the review was very fair.

View jeff's profile

jeff

#6 posted 01-03-2015 09:43 PM

Yea thx Woodcraft for donating a crappy item-donate something decent.Good review Rick.

-- Jeff,Tucson,Az.

View CyberDyneSystems's profile

CyberDyneSystems

#7 posted 01-07-2015 08:33 PM

I run a large shop, with many coming and going through it that often bring their own measures.
To this day I will only buy two tape measures.

The “classic” Stanley Powerlock remains my #1 pick from a cost useability standpoint. It’s the one I’ve been reading since the 1970s so it’s familiar. (even though it is now plastic shell, I’ll still allow the “classic” title.)

The alternatives that are acceptable:

USED to be Lufikin (hard to find these days)

Now the new wide body DeWalts seem good.

Any others I have trouble reading or just feel are crap, or too pricey.

-- Without the wood, it's just working

#8 posted 01-07-2015 09:03 PM

My go-to tapes are a 16’ Stanley Powerlock in metric/imperial, and 10’ Stanley. I also have a Lufkin which I use rarely because it’s very heavy. Almost bought one of the Dewalt tapes but they wanted $25 for it, ridiculous.

View oldnovice's profile

oldnovice

#9 posted 01-08-2015 05:32 PM

“Lufkin” tape measures are available at ACE hardware and online at Amazon for much less than DeWalt equivilant, $9.97 and no shipping with Amazon Prime!

-- "I never met a board I didn't like!"