Rikon Mortiser with XY Table

Review by panofish posted 01-01-2015 06:07 PM 4685 views 0 times favorited 11 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Rikon Mortiser with XY Table No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I really wanted to give it 4 stars, but the inconsistency of the chuck and the weak motor left me wishing for more.
If I had $1200 to burn … I’d prefer the large standing Powermatic mortiser, but unfortunately I have to make due with this $300 mortiser from Rikon. The table and clamping mechanism are great however. I made a video review on youtube…

-- Alan Lilly, http://www.panofish.net

View panofish's profile

panofish

View jumbojack's profile

jumbojack

#1 posted 01-01-2015 07:42 PM

I think part of your problem with cutting is you have not advanced your bit beyond the chisel. The off set you produced with the magnet was either insufficient or you neglected to push the chisel home after installing the bit. Your chisel is engaging your work before the bit has a chance to clear the bulk of waste. The force you were applying to cut seemed excessive, so I went back to observe your set up. The bits cutting edges should extend below the chisel cutting edge. IMHO.

-- Made in America, with American made tools....Shopsmith

#2 posted 01-01-2015 07:50 PM

Thanks for the great review. It was detailed, honest, and informative.
Thanks again!

View philba's profile

philba

#3 posted 01-02-2015 08:40 PM

Good review. I looked at it when I went to my local Woodcraft. It was set up next to a powermatic floor standing mortiser. That’s one way to discourage a purchase!

I’ve resisted getting a mortiser and since I built a little jig for my router, I have no need for one. Router is plenty fast though you don’t get square ended mortises. I don’t mind rounding over the tenons so it’s not a problem.

#4 posted 01-02-2015 08:49 PM

Thank you for the review, I have never used one, but am looking as I want to make a Morris chair

-- Norman - I never never make a mistake, I just change the design.

View felkadelic's profile

felkadelic

#5 posted 01-02-2015 10:21 PM

Thanks for the review. The more of these benchtop mortisers I see the more I’m convinced that they’re all sub-standard tools. Poor fit and finish, under-powered motors, and cheap chisels and bits.

I’ll be selling my Woodriver as soon as I get around to it.

View CypressAndPine's profile

CypressAndPine

#6 posted 01-03-2015 02:12 PM

I own the Shop Fox and I also was frustrated initially. Then I bought some new quality bits. Now I cannot imagine the $1200 machines working any better. The quality bits make all the difference. Don’t be afraid to let the bit extend way past the chisel also. It makes a huge difference and no one will ever see the bottom of the mortise anyway.

-- Cypress Jake, New Orleans

View camps764's profile

camps764

#7 posted 01-03-2015 04:43 PM

Good review. The XY table is a nice feature. I wish my Grizz mortiser had one.

-- Steve

View woodmaker's profile

woodmaker

#8 posted 01-11-2015 05:18 PM

I have this same machine and initial response. However, I realized the bit was not past the mortise chisel. Once I set that right the machine performed well, but better chisels are in the future for sure.

-- Mike

View Bobbal's profile

Bobbal

#9 posted 02-25-2015 08:55 PM

I just watched your review, and I think this is the mortise machine for me. From what I could see (and I could be wrong) I think the chisels are the root of the problem. I have a mortising attachment for a Delta bench top drill press. I have never had to pull on the much shorter handles the way you had to lean into that mortise handle. As far as the run out, I can live with 15 thousandths of an inch. Nobody has a table mechanism and hold down like this in this price range. Thanks for the thorough review. Nice shop BTW. I will let you know how my experience turns out.

-- Why measure twice when you can cut twice?

View woodmaker's profile

woodmaker

#10 posted 03-23-2015 05:21 PM

yep, need quality bits, the 1st use with the 1/4” bit and the tip broke right off.
Make sure the tip of the bit does extend slightly beyond the mortise chisel or it will not work well at all and takes a lot more effort.

-- Mike

View robscastle's profile

robscastle

4379 posts in 2014 days

#11 posted 03-23-2016 05:12 AM

Hello Alan,

This is exactly the same HCM That I have except it has a different name

I like yourself bought it because of the price and application I have for M & T work.
I doesn’t get a lot of use, but I still use it due to the many hours of time spent making it work correctly.
Agree with the motor rating and its annoying stall feature.

The manufacture of the chisels same well enough said about them.

Of importance is the fact the auger cuts a moon in the chisel side and ruins a good well layed out mortice.
I will look into the handwheel bolts they are a good upgrade.

Good post.