Easy to read, good grip

Review by Woodknack posted 12-31-2014 06:54 AM 2415 views 0 times favorited 12 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Easy to read, good grip Easy to read, good grip No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I have enough tape measures for every room in the house and a couple for the shop but today I was 25 miles from home and the tape I brought wasn’t large enough. So rather than make a 50 mile round trip into a 100 mile round trip, I went to a nearby Ace Hardware with a plethora of tape measures, Stanley, Lufkin, Dewalt, generics, and others. I liked the Dewalt best but it was $25 which I felt was too much so I bought a Stanley Max 25’. Normally I wouldn’t review something only a day old but I gave it a good workout and like it quite a bit. The packaging claimed a 10’ standout so first thing I pulled out 10’ to see if it would break over, all was good. It was necessary to measure the inside of a restaurant for signage and measure from the ceiling down to a point about 6+ feet over my head. At that distance I could still read the numbers, can’t do that with any of my other tapes. Also needed to measure 20’ lengths with the hook caught on a shallow lip, 1/8” or less, and it held with no trouble even while walking around tables; my other tapes would have fallen off and would have required two people. Overall I’m impressed and give it a thumbs up.

Pros:

• Large, easy to read numbers
  • 10’ standout, 1” wide blade
  • Double sided blade hook (top and bottom), so you could hook it under a door.
  • Rubber grips

Cons:

• Slide lock is stiff
  • Blade is glossy, didn’t cause a problem inside but might in the sunlight
  • PVC case looks cheap
  • Pressure lock underneath requires a lot of pressure to hold blade, I cannot stop the blade from retracting.
  • Fractions not labeled

-- Rick M, http://thewoodknack.blogspot.com/

View philba's profile

philba

#1 posted 12-31-2014 04:50 PM

How good is the blade hook for inside vs outside measures? I have too many tape measures where the hook slides too far one way or the other. I have one old stanley that is spot on but all the rest are off by at least 1/8”. The Harbor Freight (Pittsburg) ones are even worse – one is off by 1/4”. Now, where IS that Stanley tape measure anyway… sigh.

View johnhutchinson's profile

johnhutchinson

#2 posted 12-31-2014 07:50 PM

Nice, but it’s still an overkill carpenter’s tape for most woodworking. My new favorite is Stanley’s 6’ tape. It’s dead-nuts accurate, and sometimes I forget that it’s in my pocket because it’s so small.

Which naturally leads to …

Is that a tape measure in your pocket, or are you just happy to see me? :)

-- John - Central Ohio - "too much is never enough"

View a1Jim's profile (online now)

#3 posted 12-31-2014 08:10 PM

Good review Rick

-- https://www.artisticwoodstudio.com/videos wood crafting & woodworking classes

#4 posted 01-01-2015 03:26 AM

Thanks Rick and have a Happy New Year !

View Roger's profile

20928 posts in 2829 days

#5 posted 01-01-2015 02:34 PM

Thnx for your review Rick. Measure tapes are for sure a necessity in the hand and/or in the pocket. :)

View JoeinGa's profile

JoeinGa

7736 posts in 2032 days

#6 posted 01-01-2015 08:05 PM

I used to have a measuring tape fetish … so of the 30+ tapes I have I really like the Stanley FatMax series. I have 3 of the chrome models. The 16’ stays on my workbench and is the one I usually grab first. It has a 13’ standout and it really WILL stay straight out at 13’ , plus a bit more if your hand is steady enough. The tape is a bit wider than the standard and like you say it’s really easy to read from a distance.

-- Perform A Random Act Of Kindness Today ... Pay It Forward

View doubleDD's profile

doubleDD

7437 posts in 2068 days

#7 posted 01-01-2015 10:32 PM

Good review Rick. I used those on the job quite a bit before I retired. Good tape measure. Now I usually only carry a 12 or 16’.

-- Dave, Downers Grove, Il. -------- When you run out of ideas, start building your dreams.

#8 posted 01-02-2015 07:27 AM

- philba

Good question. I don’t have a precision rule near my computer but using what I have it looks to be very close for outside measurements. I would need one of my shop rulers to get a better reading but within 1/64” or less for outside. The inside measurement looks to be about 1/32” shy.

#9 posted 01-02-2015 07:39 AM

Nice, but it s still an overkill carpenter s tape for most woodworking. My new favorite is Stanley s 6 tape. It s dead-nuts accurate, and sometimes I forget that it s in my pocket because it s so small.

Which naturally leads to …

Is that a tape measure in your pocket, or are you just happy to see me? :)

- johnhutchinson

I have a small 8’ Stanley that I clip on my pocket for around the house, trips to the hardware store, etc. That’s the one I had with me the other day, 25 miles from home. Had I known I would be measuring a restaurant I would have brought my 25’ Lufkin. I used to have a small 6’ tape but I’m not a fan of the flimsy blades. Around the shop I have two 16’ tapes. One is a Stanley with inches and metric, the coating is peeling after many years of use so might need to replace it in a few years. The other is a Woodcraft I won as a door prize at a club meeting. The Woodcraft looks like a good tape, easy to read, fractions marked, but the automatic brake won’t hold and there is no manual lock so it’s aggravating to use. My all time favorite tape was an engineer’s tape in decimal inches.

View SomeDumbGuy's profile

SomeDumbGuy

#10 posted 02-09-2015 12:09 AM

As a framing carpenter in my day to day life, let me voice my love of the dewalt tapes. 13’ of stand out, huge blade that will catch on anything you need it to, take a beating, and if you save your receipt, it’s possibly the last tape you’ll need to buy. I’m currently on my 3rd (tapes take a beating daily in my job) after making the switch from Stanley fatmax tapes a little over a year ago. May be a little overkill for the shop, but I’ll probably never buy a Stanley again as long as dewalt keeps the quality at a high level. Just my $.02

#11 posted 02-09-2015 01:55 AM

6’ STANLEY “pocket” tape video review.

View johnhutchinson's profile

johnhutchinson

#12 posted 02-09-2015 02:18 AM

Why am I laughing at the part where he says—“You’ll no longer have a limp tape”—?

-- John - Central Ohio - "too much is never enough"