Excellent Saw On a budget

Review by EdsCustomWoodCrafts posted 12-30-2014 07:11 PM 3340 views 0 times favorited 11 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Excellent Saw On a budget Excellent Saw On a budget No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Well what can I say, my wife bought me this saw for Christmas and she did an awesome job.

I really like the size of the saw 10” is just what I need, also the Laser Trac system is extremely helpful.
It came with a 10” 40tooth saw blade that does a great job, but if you are planning on doing detailed finished work I would get another blade.

I built a mitre saw cart and all in all I couldn’t be happier./!

-- Thanks Ed “A bad day woodworking is better than a good day working. ~Author unknown”

View greg48's profile

greg48

#1 posted 12-30-2014 07:20 PM

Congrats Ed. Santa dropped off a Rigid oscillating spindle sander for me and am now going out to buy material for a flip top tool cart to mount it on. Found the plans on the Sketchup 3-D warehouse which includes a drawer to hold all the loose parts which will fall out once I flip it.

“Gaudete in Domino semper”

-- Greg, No. Cal. - "Gaudete in Domino Semper"

#2 posted 12-30-2014 07:25 PM

I’m not even going to pretend I know what kind of tool that is but the cart sound like fun…..

View greg48's profile

greg48

#3 posted 12-30-2014 09:53 PM

Image from http://images.meredith.com/wood/images/2010/02/p_Ridgid.jpg.

Good for reducing the drudgery of sanding inside curves on bandsaw boxes, router templates, etc. Tried it out on a piece of 3/4” poplar using the 80 grit sleeve that came in the box – very aggressive.

-- Greg, No. Cal. - "Gaudete in Domino Semper"

#4 posted 12-30-2014 10:06 PM

That’s cool

View Bill1974's profile

Bill1974

#5 posted 12-31-2014 04:55 PM

I have used the same saw and trying to tune it up I ended up breaking the fence. To start with the fence was not straight and I could only get one side to be perpendicular to the blade. I tried to tweak the fence by bending it, but it was too far out and snapped before getting each side of the fence coplanar and perpendicular to the blade. The replacement fence was better and only required a little tweaking.

#6 posted 01-02-2015 08:59 PM

Congrats. I like the handle placement, horizontal instead of vertical

-- Norman - I never never make a mistake, I just change the design.

View nkawtg's profile

nkawtg

#7 posted 01-08-2015 06:03 PM

I’ve seen some negative comments about the handle. What is your impression not that you’ve had it a while?
Is the handle the week point of this saw?

#8 posted 01-08-2015 06:17 PM

I haven’t had any problems .. I’ve prob done close to 60 cuts on it in all positions 90 / 45 degree cuts and its performed admirably .. My only wish is that it had a track so I could cut 12” boards … But I’ll just use my table saw for that

View nkawtg's profile

nkawtg

#9 posted 01-08-2015 06:34 PM

I haven t had any problems .. I ve prob done close to 60 cuts on it in all positions 90 / 45 degree cuts and its performed admirably .. My only wish is that it had a track so I could cut 12” boards … But I ll just use my table saw for that

- edwood1975

Thanks for your quick reply Ed, I’ll keep this saw in mind.

View Surfside's profile

Surfside

3389 posts in 2007 days

#10 posted 01-13-2015 07:57 PM

Thanks for the review. I’ve been wanting to buy one.

View woodbutcherbynight's profile

woodbutcherbynight

#11 posted 01-14-2015 03:51 AM

Had one for about 14 years worked well. Several items broke over the years and until the back fence broke I was okay with it considering the abuse I have put it through. My Dad retired the 1st and brings me his almost new 12” Dewalt so I upgraded. I plan to repair the old girl and use it as needed when I work away from the house.

-- Live to tell the stories, they sound better that way.