Harbor freight lathe not for me

Review by RichM posted 12-30-2014 05:55 PM 8023 views 0 times favorited 8 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Harbor freight lathe not for me No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I got this lathe after reading reviews and off the word of a few people who have this lathe but it did not preform on any level, I might have just got a bad one but I was not going to give it another chance. heres a link to one issue you will want to fix evan if your motor ends up working ( mine did not) in this video the issue I fix is a common problem with this lathe.

-- Rich, Learn something everyday even if it is how NOT to do it.

View RichM's profile

RichM

#1 posted 12-31-2014 03:38 AM

All that work and then to no avail, hope you next lathe is a much better tool

-- Norman - I never never make a mistake, I just change the design.

View Wildwood's profile

Wildwood

#2 posted 12-31-2014 02:15 PM

I am confused by the video, watched it twice motor worked at the end of the video. Did you return the lathe for a refund or exchange?

In the video talked and show us a pin which you lay on the bed than reassemble headstock without putting the pin back in. Motor did run at the end of the video, what happened?

Do like you telling folks to check alignment after rotating the headstock. Bet not many folks want uninstall & reinstall the headstock every time.

-- Bill

View RichM's profile

RichM

#3 posted 12-31-2014 06:00 PM

@ Wildwood, Refund, I could stop the motor with my hand, If I put the pin back in it would have put the head stock off center again, there were two pins, I am not sure where you get that you would need to remove the head stock every time that is why you would do the work in the first place, so you do not have to worry about the alignment any more,

as for “do I like telling people to check alignment ” What?

Sorry the video confused you.

-- Rich, Learn something everyday even if it is how NOT to do it.

View Wildwood's profile

Wildwood

#4 posted 12-31-2014 10:05 PM

Did not hear you say did not need that pin, did think after you said made an adjustment to base plate would reinsert that pin. Was not sure what adjustment you made. Also you talk about pins in the headstock which assume go into that base plate which do not see but understood. You gave a great presentation, because I got little confused no big deal!

Yes everyone should check head/tailstock alignment on a new lathe. Procedure you used is nice to know because it fixed your problem. Always re-check alignment on swivel & sliding headstocks lathes after moving just makes sense.

JMHO should always check alignment with tailstock locked down! Learned that from my old delta 12×36’ lathe. You could actually see it move into alignment. Do look for adjustments that can be made at the tailstock.

Economy lathes come with inexpensive drive and live centers eyeball them before installing into Morse taper. Make sure those centers are properly seated. Always clean both centers & Morse tapers before checking alignment.

When mounting a lathe to a stand or bench always use equal torque down bolts/screws evenly.

Have walked into my local HF and found same lathe there without a headstock couple times now guess now know one reason why! Thanks for sharing.

-- Bill

View Ripthorn's profile

Ripthorn

#5 posted 01-01-2015 01:58 AM

Too bad it didn’t pan out for you. I got this same lathe a few months ago and it has been working like a champ. The headstock and tailstock are misaligned by perhaps 1/64-1/32 or so, but I don’t sweat that on a wood lathe. On my metal lathe, that would be completely unacceptable, but when turning something by hand on a wood lathe, from rectangular stock, I personally don’t worry about it. Would I love a nicer lathe? Sure. Am I willing to fork over the cash? Nope, seeing as how I don’t use a lathe all that much.

-- Brian T. - Exact science is not an exact science

#6 posted 01-01-2015 03:20 PM

I have one and I am happy with it.
This is what I did with it:

View OSU55's profile (online now)

OSU55

1781 posts in 2069 days

#7 posted 01-04-2015 06:44 AM

Not sure about alignment being a “common problem” with this lathe. Mine was just fine, and I’ve only heard it mentioned one other time. There is enough play in the tail stock to get the two out of alignment a little, but it has not been any problem. Biggest issue is to lube the pulleys so the speed adjustment lever doesn’t have to be pounded on which then breaks things. Sorry about your bad motor luck. I’m extremely pleased with the performance of mine for $180.

#8 posted 01-04-2015 01:13 PM

” I’m extremely pleased with the performance of mine for $180.”
Same here.
And yes lube the pulleys shaft with dry-molykote.( no grease or oil as it goes and the belts and it catches the dust)