Testing drills and impact

Review by grosa posted 12-27-2014 11:48 PM 3630 views 0 times favorited 15 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Testing drills and impact Testing drills and impact Testing drills and impact Click the pictures to enlarge them

Of all the drills I have, I really like the Dewalt XR brushless. They are very smooth running drills and I like the three light setup. They do have more power than the 18v. The Porter Cable is a nice drill but, it didn’t feel comfortable in my hand and the length of the grip is to short. The Dewalt is the one I like the most. It is heavier than the Makita but it has twice the power. The Dewalt 5 hour batteries are well worth the money. After testing all the cordless tools out there I went with the dewalt 20v tools.Here are some pictures of my new install kit.

View Binn's profile

Binn

#1 posted 12-28-2014 01:05 AM

Try Milwaulkis they are great now with XC batteries, Heavy Duty that last all day.

-- Barry, Louisiana

View Woodwrecker's profile

Woodwrecker

#2 posted 12-28-2014 01:38 AM

Agree on the DeWalt brushless.
I have them and like them a lot.

View ontheworkbench's profile

ontheworkbench

#3 posted 12-28-2014 03:07 AM

Having the Makita, DeWalt, and Porter Cable go head-to-head-to-head would make a great video review

View Dedvw's profile

Dedvw

#4 posted 12-28-2014 03:27 AM

I have a Makita 18v brushless and a Dewalt 20v brushless. Both drivers kick butt, but I find the ergonomics of the Dewalt better than Makita’s. Brushless is well worth the extra cash.

Not to mention, brushless Radio Controlled cars kick gas any day of the week ;)

View danoaz's profile

danoaz

#5 posted 12-28-2014 12:47 PM

I have the 18 volt Dewalt because it seemed hard to justify the additional cost to go with the 20v. I wish I could afford the 20v. because now I am finding that Dewalt doesn’t make the oscillating multi tool kit in the 18v. I hate having different batteries and different chargers but I may just have to bite it and start gravitating to the 20V.

-- "Simplicity and repose are the qualities that measure the true value of any work of art." Frank LLoyd Wright

View danoaz's profile

danoaz

#6 posted 12-28-2014 12:55 PM

Sorry for the stupid question but has the brushless model been out long enough to know that they are better than the regular drills for the long haul?

View sawdustjunkie's profile

sawdustjunkie

#7 posted 12-31-2014 01:54 AM

Brushless motors have been around for more than 20 years! The big thing about them is they use less power than conventional motors and are said to actually last longer. They don’t use as much power and the battery charge is supposed to last longer.
I fly R/C Aircraft and have been using brushless motor servo’s for a long long time.
I have never burned one up.
Power tools however may be a different story.
None of my cordless drills are brushless and some are at least 10 years old and still work fine.
I guess if you work the snot out of one, it would last longer, but most people have 3 or 4 cordless drills so charging them isn’t a problem.

-- Steve: Franklin, WI

View BikerDad's profile

BikerDad

#8 posted 12-31-2014 10:06 PM

I’m surprised you don’t have any 12v. I also am a big fan of the DeWalt 20 Max XR platform. I have the Premium Hammer Drill, the Impact, and just recently go the compact XR drill in that platform. The reason for the Compact is I wanted a smaller, and most important, lighter full power drill.

-- I'm happier than a tornado in a trailer park! Grace & Peace.

#9 posted 01-01-2015 01:30 AM

Bikerdad. I have the Makita 12v drill and impact set. I love them.

View dhazelton's profile

dhazelton

#10 posted 01-02-2015 03:13 PM

I started with the Dewalt 12 volt LiOn and realized I needed more oomph. Got the 20 volt set, and the circular saw as well. I LOVE them. The 12s are great for assembling cabinets and I used the heck out of them on a cabinet install job, servicing my furnace, disassembling all the smoke pipe, etc. The 20 volt drives tons of screws before you need to change batteries. I also have the radio. I was never brand loyal but am starting to just look at the Dewalt stuff first now.

View ShipWreck's profile

ShipWreck

#11 posted 01-05-2015 12:22 PM

I love my Dewalt 20 volt drill/impact set. I abuse the hell out of them on the job every day with no issues. I am going to buy the radio charger soon.

#12 posted 01-10-2015 04:18 PM

I tried the Porter Cable 20v but, the grip was to small for my hand and uncomfortable. The power is there. The PC needs to go by by.

View edlo's profile

edlo

#13 posted 02-05-2015 07:08 AM

Just want to share this http://extremepowertools.com/products/drills, this is where I got my DEWALT 20V Compact Drill Driver Kit that works perfectly.

Cheers.

View Sailsnsaws's profile

Sailsnsaws

#14 posted 02-23-2015 04:18 AM

I have never been one to get worked up about drills. I probably would if I built decks or installed cabinets all day but I don’t. I recently had to upgrade from a 15 year old DeWalt. I decided to go with this brushless combo and saved a bit by buying reconditioned. I was ambivalent about getting the impact driver and curious about “reconditioned”.
First, the tools looked very clean.
Second, the impact driver blows me away. I had no idea how cool it is to percuss screws into anything especially in hard to reach dark parts of boat cabinetry where I can’t put any weight behind the tool.
The batteries last a week and I can tell how much charge I have left.
So here I am getting worked up about drills. Who knew?

#15 posted 02-28-2015 11:06 AM

After testing all kinds of drills I really like the Dewalt’s. My first drill set was a Dewalt 18v. I put that drill through hell for 16 years and it still works fine today. I decided to go with the Dewalt’s. I have been buying all the dewalt 20v tools that I will need for the work I do. I bought all new aluminum cases and 2” dense gray foam to fill the cases so the tools float in a bed of foam. I also bought a collapsible aluminum cart to store it all. Now all I do is roll this very expensive tool box onto the job site, do the work and at the end of the day pack it up and roll it onto the trailer. This will be the last cordless tool set I will buy so I went all out this time. I will post pictures this week of my new tool set.