Rockler Thin Rip Tablesaw Jig

Review by Tim Dorcas posted 07-29-2008 05:46 AM 5851 views 1 time favorited 14 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Rockler Thin Rip Tablesaw Jig Rockler Thin Rip Tablesaw Jig No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

In the past one of the things I hated to was rip thin pieces of wood. Typically this is done to create keys for mitered joints. Last December I was going to build a one of the many jigs that you can find online when Rockler came out with their Thin Rip Tablesaw Jig. For $20 I thought, “Why not?” It arrived about three weeks later (They were sold old initially and everything takes longer in Canada.) and I was surprised at the quality of it’s construction. If anything the fit is a bit tight. After fitting everything together I immediately gave it a workout. I already had a box made that I needed keys for. The first cut was a little too thin. After struggling with the tight fit to slide it back, I finally got what I needed. There is a ball bearing at the tip which makes the wood flow nicely.

Most of the woodworkers I know are a frugal bunch but for $20 bucks I think it more than pays for itself. The only thing I wish it had was a numerical system for ease of setup. That and the fact that it is bit hard to move at first knocks off a half of a star. I would rate this 4.5 stars. If you need to rip thin strips I would recommend getting one.

-- www.craftedbytim.com - A Woodworking & Renovation Blog & www.craftedbytim.com - I make. You buy.

View Tim Dorcas's profile

Tim Dorcas

#1 posted 07-29-2008 11:57 AM

Nice review, Tim. I have looked at one of these and been debating whether to get one or not. It is nice to hear from someone who has used one.

View Bob N's profile

Bob N

#2 posted 07-29-2008 12:45 PM

Tim,

Thanks for a very nice review. I am sure it is a great product, but to me it looks like a kickback just waiting to happen. I certainly hope I am wrong.

View Brad_Nailor's profile

Brad_Nailor

#3 posted 07-29-2008 01:39 PM

I did a review on this item about a 1 1/2 months ago. I like it allot and think it is worth the money. Although in that first picture you have it set way too close to the blade. The directions said to position it at the bottom of the table saw insert. From my personal experience when I placed it any closer than that, I was getting burning on the keeper piece due to the jig pushing the piece back against the blade, and I think it drastically increases the chance of pinching the blade and kicking the piece back.

-- http://www.facebook.com/pages/DSO-Designs/297237806954248

View Timber4fun's profile

Timber4fun

#4 posted 07-29-2008 06:06 PM

Thanks for the review. Interesting jig.

-- Tim from Iowa City, IA

View marcb's profile

marcb

#5 posted 07-29-2008 08:30 PM

Shopnotes had a jig like this in their magazine once. Setup right it shouldn’t kick back as the keeper piece is thin and should peel away from the saw. Its basically a really low friction (Ball bearing) single point feather board.

View motthunter's profile

motthunter

#6 posted 07-29-2008 08:53 PM

Interesting.. can you show more pics of it in use…

-- making sawdust....

View Tim Dorcas's profile

Tim Dorcas

#7 posted 07-29-2008 10:18 PM

Thanks for the comments.

1) The bearing is actually touching the blade. I think I was more interested in getting a picture than anything else. In actual use it would be closer to the operator. I have never experienced anything close to kick back using this jig.

2) I usually make it a hair or two thicker than it needs to be and finish it with my Smoothing Plane. This also helps because it can be very difficult to move the blue adjusting piece.

View Bob O'Brien's profile

Bob O'Brien

#8 posted 07-30-2008 01:56 AM

I have one of these, and I agree with your review comments: difficult to adjust and I wish it had some numbers (any sequential numbers) instead of just ticks on the slide. I lubricated it with a little Waxilit, and that has helped with the slide. I do not use it often, but when I have it did the job. I always have a riving knife in place when rip sawing, and I have had no problem with kickback.

-- Bob

View Brad_Nailor's profile

Brad_Nailor

#9 posted 07-30-2008 02:46 AM

The increments on the unit are 1/16 and 1/32. The reason it doesn’t have any numbers is every saw and blade is different. To get an accurate measurement you touch the blade tooth with the bearing, and then use the marks to move the unit back the thickness of the piece. I like the fact that the jig was snug…it made it easier to hold my settings while i slid it down and tightened it up in position.

-- http://www.facebook.com/pages/DSO-Designs/297237806954248

View teenagewoodworker's profile

teenagewoodworker

#10 posted 08-01-2008 01:18 PM

cool review, i’ve had my eye on this for awhile. looks like a cool little tool!

View gbvinc's profile

gbvinc

#11 posted 08-01-2008 04:15 PM

Picked one up last week, ripped a bunch of strips for screen door screens. Worked great. A keeper.

View Paul's profile

Paul

#12 posted 08-01-2008 05:07 PM

I made one similar to this a few months ago, there was a pattern in one of the woodworking magazines. It does the same thing and is a very reliable way of reproducing thin strips. I think this one or the one I made are very worthwhile additions to the shop.

-- If you say 'It's good enough', it probably isn't.

View Don Newton's profile

Don Newton

#13 posted 08-06-2008 06:26 PM

I’m not new to woodworking and have been staring at the pictures but haven’t a clue what this device does. Do you use it instead of a fence?

-- Don, Pittsburgh

View dustyal's profile

dustyal

#14 posted 08-05-2010 05:52 AM

I just got this and used it recently… I liked it. I was always nervous and mostly unsuccessful in cutting thin strips uniformly. This worked well for me… Move it to the blade to set thickness, and then slide it toward front of throat plate to use. I didn’t measure as I simply used a gauge to set thickness at blade… so numbers on the measurement lines would be meaningless. It is better than I could make for myself. I sliced off 5 pieces of 1/8 inch thick material from 2×2 inch stock. Felt safe with the push sticks I used and no kick back.

-- Al H. - small shop, small projects...