Just the ticket for those difficult sanding tasks

Review by Sawdust2 posted 07-28-2008 04:08 AM 3184 views 1 time favorited 10 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Just the ticket for those difficult sanding tasks No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Saturday morning I was lying in bed and on the TV was the lovely Jodi Marks touting the MultiMaster. Now, it’s difficult not to do what Jody says, she being all wonderful and woodworky. And my wife had already decided that we (I) were (was) going to refinish the kitchen table (as opposed to the dining room table). You can see it in the photo.

This top is veneered out of some unidentified wood that looks like a cross between birch, maple and European Beech. But the edging was shaped with a complex set of curves that neither my 1/4 sheet PC nor my Ryobi vibrating hand-numbing triangular sander would work on. Actually, my Ryobi sander won’t work on anything.

Did I mention that my wife went out of town this weekend?

Did I also mention that Woodcraft was having it’s anniversary sale this weekend with 10% off EVERYTHING?

Wonderful Jodi. Wonderful wife out of town. Wood project. Wonderful sale. The stars aligned for just this moment.

The Fein Multimaster comes with many add-ons and accessories. And it’s profile sanding accessories were just what I needed to do the kitchen table. If I ever need to remove grout or tile or cut copper pipe right at the wall, it has accessories for that, also.

The MultiMaster is a heavy, solid tool. With just a short learning curve (maybe 2 minutes of excitement) I was able to attach the profile attachment, slip on the supplied (in 5 different grits) sandpaper and wonderfully smooth the groovy edge of the table.

The MultiMaster was pricey. The Ryobi sander wasn’t. Spend the money.

The manual was dozens of pages in many languages. I only had to (and only could) read two.

(Did I use enough adjectives here?)

View Douglas Bordner's profile

Douglas Bordner

#1 posted 07-28-2008 06:13 AM

I finagled one last year when we were removing old glazing, and got a slightly older model without the tool-less pad change from Amazon at a pretty good deal. Powered scraping, e-cut sawing (works like the saw used to cut off casts at the M.D.’s office-won’t cut flesh but melts through hard objects), great detail sanding. I love this tool. Anybody want to buy a used PC profile sander… the Fein Multimaster rocks!

-- "Bordnerizing" perfectly good lumber for over a decade.

View BarryW's profile

BarryW

#2 posted 07-28-2008 07:17 AM

Send money now, this is blackmail…your wife was out of town and you were having a relationship with a partner who could be pretty rough at times…smooth at others…ah ha…and “she” speaks several languages…a Feinfatal if I ever saw one…and a Multimaster, too? Kinky….really kinky…and 10 per cent off no less. Deals like this only happen in Georgia…

-- /\/\/\ BarryW /\/\/\ Stay so busy you don't have time to die.

#3 posted 07-28-2008 02:46 PM

Barry, you’re just jealous because your wife won’t let you near the kitchen table except to eat.

View Timber4fun's profile

Timber4fun

#4 posted 07-29-2008 05:56 PM

Barry – you are too funny. Lee – he may be on to something …

-- Tim from Iowa City, IA

View jerryc's profile

jerryc

#5 posted 08-03-2008 07:19 AM

I’m a newbie here and the first thing I see is multimaster. Tools cost even more here but this little beauty can do things others can’t do. Had to chisel away part of a beam under an ornate plaster cornice. Overhead work and can’t use a chisel because vibration would fracture plaster. Multimaster saw made it a doddle. Really has multi use and worth every penny

Jerry

-- War does not decide who is right. War only decides who is left

#6 posted 08-25-2008 03:21 AM

Now to add a little icing to the cake -

I had the good fortune to meet and talk with Jodi at the IWF on Friday.

She was a lot of fun and a joy to talk with. I think that is her nature because she was so bubbly and seemed to enjoy meeting everyone there.

Oh, I also had my picture taken with Norm Abram. Dang, didn’t get a picture with Jodi.

#7 posted 08-25-2008 03:37 AM

Nice review

View trob445's profile

trob445

#8 posted 08-25-2008 03:38 AM

nothing like that new tool smell

View perpetual_novice's profile

perpetual_novice

#9 posted 01-12-2009 10:18 PM

I bought this tool and the detail sanding function is great.
I have not tested it to too much, but:

Two beefs with this tool – the noise level (but I will happily wear ear protection)

The real issue is the wood+steel blade. Go through 2 or three siding nails and you pretty much need a new 40 dollar blade.
I bought this tool to assist me with some window replacement work.
So I was rather disappointed.

View John's profile

John

#10 posted 06-01-2009 05:40 PM

I notice that with the infomercials from Fein, some copycats are out there – dremel and bosch had clones at the BORG… has anyone checked out this at harbor freight? looks very similare for about 20% or less of the price a fein. I think I will buy one to see if it’s any good, but curious if any one has tried the Fein clones?

-- John - Central PA - http://affyx.wordpress.com