Dixon Ticonderoga #2 HB Pencil

Review by Brad_Nailor posted 2173 days ago 14596 views 1 time favorited 34 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Dixon Ticonderoga #2 HB Pencil No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Ok…I know your thinking this is a joke…but I assure you , my friends I am serious as a heart attack! Pencils these days are a sad conglomeration of strange MDF like material that feels more like rubber, and breaks easily when you try to sharpen it. Same with the leads…if your lucky enough to get a point on it after grinding down half the “pencil” in the sharpener it will break as soon as you put any pressure on it. Not at the tip…down low under the fake wood. The free pencils that the hardwood suppliers give you are like this as well. Not the Ticonderoga..it is (as you can see by the box) the worlds best pencil, and I agree 100%! It is made out of pure cedar and the graphite used is a good quality. It sharpens well, and holds a point without breaking . My father was an accountant, and he loved these over mechanical pencils, and they have been made the same way for allot longer than most of us have been alive!

Photobucket

You have enough to think about when building a project and a crappy pencil is just as annoying as loosing your pencil all the time. This box cost like three bucks at Office Depot, and I have had it for six months and am still on my first pencil! Spend the money..sometimes it’s the little things that make the difference..

Photobucket

This review may be slightly tounge in cheek…but I love these pencils….

-- http://www.facebook.com/pages/DSO-Designs/297237806954248

View Brad_Nailor's profile

Brad_Nailor

View tenontim's profile

tenontim

I’ll agree with you on everything you said. I use these pencils. Also the ones Lee Valleys sells are nice, and I use the Papermate Mirado Black Warrior #2’s for sketching ideas.

-- Tim

View ChicoWoodnut's profile

ChicoWoodnut

I know what you mean. I have also found it hard to find a good pencil sharpener these days like the grinders we had in elementary school LOL. For some reason, the scoring pencils at the local golf course are pretty high quality. I use them in the shop. Ha!

-- Scott - Chico California http://chicowoodnut.home.comcast.net

View ND2ELK's profile

ND2ELK

Thank you so much for the info! I use wood pencils all the time and appriciate a quality pencils. Office Depot here I come!

God Bless
tom

-- Mc Bridge Cabinets, Iowa

View Chardt's profile

Chardt

I’ll tell you about MY favorite #2 pencil. Honestly, I don’t remember the brand. I was in 6th grade, and I had to sit next to this total KNOB named Richard Canterbury. He’d wait until the teacher wasn’t looking and stab me in the side with a straightened paper clip. This went on for a good 10 minutes. ”....and the underground railroad was used primarily by..” {stick} “OWW!, you jerk.” “Carl, pay attention!!”

so, then he reached onto my desk to grab my notebook. I grabbed his arm, and stabbed him in the arm with my….Yep, my #2 pencil. It broke the skin, and the lead broke. Well, Richard SCREAMED, and then started crying…and screaming. Everyone turned and looked at me like I just…well, like I just stabbed the jerk of the school. He was bawling his head off, screaming that he was going to get Lead Poisoning.

That was my favorite #2 pencil.

Thanks for reminding me of that Brad!

...Maybe when the emotional scarring subsides I’ll review my all-time least favorite garbage can…to get stuffed in to.

:-)

-- When my wife ask's what I have to show for my wood working hobby, I just show her the splinters.

View teenagewoodworker's profile

teenagewoodworker

i totally agree. i have been struggling to get good pencils for so long that i only use them for rough work, and use a utility knife for all the really fine work. i am going to home depot tomorrow and i might pick up a pack of these.

View Sawdustonmyshoulder's profile

Sawdustonmyshoulder

Yes. Nothing like sorry pencil to mess up your day in the shop. I was lucky to get my hands on a box of 500 really good pencils (cedar, good soft lead, pink pearl like eraser) that my employer was throwing away because the logo of the company was going to change. Save’em from the landfill. Archaeologist 10,000 years from now will just have to look somewhere else for good ole 20th century writing instruments. Sawdustonmyshoulder sharpened them up and use them. HA!!!

-- Makin' Sawdust!!!

View EEngineer's profile

EEngineer

The saddest thing about pencils nowadays is… wait for it… they are made in China! I have been watching this for a while and the sad truth is that most pencils are not made in the USA anymore. Quality sucks! The single biggest problem is not the material; I have genuine wood pencils made in China that simply cannot be sharpened BECAUSE the graphite is not centered correectly in the wooden barrel! Graphite is OK, the wood is OK, but without actually centering the graphite in the wooden barrel, the traditional pencil sharpener simply cannot provide a usable point! The point of the graphite is always obscured by the wood – it doesn’t write – it completely obviates the use of the pencil in the first place!

How in the hell can American companies continue to offer products that don’t even work as the products were intended? My local “big box” store does not offer Ticonderoga pencils. Instead, I am only offered pencils that don’t even function as pencils, all made in China! How can any price, no matter how cheap, override the fact that product doesn’t even function to its original intended purpose? If I could buy Ticonderoga pencils, based on this review, I would. But I am not even offered the choice! Instead, ALL I can buy are pencils that don’t function as pencils.

Every damned CEO of American companies should be forced to use ONLY the products sold by that company!

-- "Find out what you cannot do and then go do it!"

View Randy Sharp's profile

Randy Sharp

Hey Sawdustonmyshoulders, how about a couple of those good pencils for a buddy?

-- Randy, Tupelo, MS ~ A man who honors his wife will have children who honor their father.

View Brad_Nailor's profile

Brad_Nailor

Chico…I bought a sharpener the same day i bought the box of pencils. It’s a X-ACTO, classic style with the crank handle just like you were saying. It has a suction base that engages with a little handle that anchors it to any smooth table top. The suction anchors it very well, and it sharpens the pencils to a lethal point! They make the same sharpener in a screw/wall mount version as well….maybe I should review the sharpener too! Just for clarity…I see some of you mentioned “big box” stores to buy these pencils. I got them at OFFICE Depot…not Home Depot, but I’m sure any office supply store should carry them.

-- http://www.facebook.com/pages/DSO-Designs/297237806954248

View Freddo's profile

Freddo

You bet—the #1388 all the way. My kids (both in grade school) get TONS of pencils. I’ve got to start tossing them there’s so many. I’d still rather spend the three bucks too for the Ticonderoga 1388’s. I was a designer/draftsman for years and really appreciate the way these go onto the paper…actually something quite charming about it to me (like putting on a pair of BRAND new cotton socks; which is way under-rated) Thanks for letting the LJ’s know what a good pencil is. The 1388 should be the standard all other pencils are compared to. Period!

-- God bless! Freddo (Northern - NJ) Our Creator designed us to create - so use WOOD!

View Sawdustonmyshoulder's profile

Sawdustonmyshoulder

Hey, Randy Sharp! Check out eBay for some of these wonderful pencils. Maybe you can out bid some guy in Indontthinkso, Mississippi. HA!!!!!

-- Makin' Sawdust!!!

View scottb's profile

scottb

Never really thought about it, I went through a whole pack of mechanical pencils in about a year – the bic cheapies outlast the first slimline I made, but I now have a plethora of empty bic cheap mechanicals, I could by more lead that keeps breaking…. but you just sold me on the Good Ol #2 – The novelty pencils I have been finding all over the house don’t even stand up to a sharpening just like you said!

-- I am always doing what I cannot do yet, in order to learn how to do it. - Van Gogh -- http://blanchardcreative.etsy.com -- http://snbcreative.wordpress.com/

View Timber4fun's profile

Timber4fun

Well, I guess you have to have good pencils. Nice review and discussion. Does anyone use the carpenter pencils any more? I received a bunch from Jet. I am looking for a good sharpener for the carpenter style pencils.

-- Tim from Iowa City, IA

View motthunter's profile

motthunter

What is a pencil? I have never heard of it… How do you cut a board with a pencil?

Actually I use a mechanical pencil most of the time.. and I tend to mark my work with it also.

-- making sawdust....

View Festool4's profile

Festool4

I usually use mechanical pencils, but I will try some of these. Thanks for the review…

-- Festool4