Smooth wood handles? Hands slipping? Non-Slip Grip Tape

Review by JoeinGa posted 12-20-2014 04:44 PM 4757 views 0 times favorited 14 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Smooth wood handles? Hands slipping? Non-Slip Grip Tape No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

As I age, I find my grip just isn’t as strong as it used to be. Simply opening a pickle jar is sometimes a pain and this carries over into my shop as well, especially during the colder weather.

Several years ago I had several glue-ups fail while making cutting boards and upon close inspection I realized it was because the clamps could have been tighter during the gluing process. I had also noticed that sometimes my hands would slip on the smooth wooden handles of my Jorgy clamps. Not wanting to sand my (at that time) new clamp handles, I ran across some silicone rubber tape while working at the big orange box and wrapped several of them in it. It helped a lot, but I soon realized that it wasn’t very durable. It tends to rip and peel off when you put a good final turn on the handle. I’ve noticed this rubber tape is deteriorating pretty quickly, and I finally used up my supply of this tape.

A few months back while in WallyWorld we were picking up a wrist brace for my wife and I spied something that looked interesting. It’s the elastic wrap sold to use on wrists, knees, ankles and elbows for support during sports activities. The package says cut to length needed and that it sticks to itself.

This is similar to something we wrapped our bicycle handles and tennis racquet handles with back in school. So I wrapped several of the clamp handles in it and tried it out. This roll is 4” X 4yards long and it cost less than 5 bucks. On a couple of the handles I cut about an inch off the tape and wrapped the handles with the 3” wide piece.

On a couple others I used that 1” piece and wrapped the handle spiral-style.

So now after a few months I’ve decided that the spiral wrap seems to have a better feel when using than the smooth flat wrap. MUCH BETTER. It has NOT started unwrapping, no matter how tight I clamp something. And my hand no longer slips when the wood is cold and my hands are smooth from the cold weather. So one of the things on my “to do” list is to re-do all my clamp handles with this sports wrap. And since this roll is 4 yards long, I should have PLENTY to last for quite a while.

View DIYaholic's profile

DIYaholic

19647 posts in 2792 days

#1 posted 12-20-2014 04:58 PM

I think my jorgy clamps could equally benefit from this.
Thanks for the heads up!!!

-- Randy-- I may not be good...but I am slow! If good things come to those who wait.... Why is procrastination a bad thing?

#2 posted 12-20-2014 05:22 PM

Oh I almost forgot… when I found the rubber tape, I also spotted some non-slip strips for use on stairs. I cut that into smaller strips and wrapped a few handles. It works, but it’s sorta rough on the hands and it does tend to peel at the edges.

View longgone's profile

longgone

#3 posted 12-20-2014 11:07 PM

That’s clever. Since it sticks to itself it should stay on good when tightening the clamp. Glad to hear it doesn’t work loose when undoing the clamp handle.

View patron's profile

patron

#4 posted 12-21-2014 03:18 AM

thanks joe
a great tip

and i just happen to have some
for my wrists
tan color

View paxorion's profile

paxorion

#5 posted 12-21-2014 03:59 AM

Nice tip, I’ve have a few Jorgies and have never been a fan of the maple handles. I do like the new rubber handles that Jorgensen is now sporting. They’re finally making their way into the stores.

-- paxorion

View doubleDD's profile

doubleDD

#6 posted 12-21-2014 04:53 AM

Interesting Joe. I usually throw on some black electrical tape in a pinch, but I may go and get a roll of this. Thanks.

-- Dave, Downers Grove, Il. -------- When you run out of ideas, start building your dreams.

View grumpy749's profile

grumpy749

#7 posted 12-21-2014 02:31 PM

I just ordered some from Lee valley. It never occurred to me that I could find the same thing in a drug store. Who woodah thought. great idea. Some people call us cheap, I like to think thrifty.

-- Denis in Grande Prairie. Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mistery, but today is a gift. That is why it is called the present.....Pink !

View dustyal's profile

dustyal

#8 posted 12-21-2014 03:19 PM

I used some golf handle grip tape. Worked pretty good too. Also, used marine self adhering tape, but it seems to wear fairly quickly.

-- Al H. - small shop, small projects...

View sepeck's profile

sepeck

#9 posted 12-21-2014 08:04 PM

There is another product used in sports equipment like Hockey Sticks
Here is a link to a random example: Hockey Stick Grip Tape

Most sporting goods stores will have a product like this that generally work. They can come in a variety of colors etc.

-- -Steven Peck, http://www.blkmtn.org

View Douglas's profile

Douglas

#10 posted 12-23-2014 09:49 PM

Funny, I prefer the maple handles over the plastic/rubber ones. I had been buying some Jorgy cabinet master parallel clamps in twos over the last year or so, to try to build out my assortment. I already had two of the 48” ones, and needed two more, when I saw Menards had them on sale (they NEVER go one sale) for $29 (regularly $45!), but it was a sale that ended on Dec 9th – the day I saw the ad! So I ordered them online for store pickup. Much to my chagrin, when I picked them up, they were the new “improved” kind with the rubber/plastic handles. Sigh, now my set doesn’t match! I’ll leave those as the last ones I reach for, and won’t be sticking anything on the nice maple handled ones! Anyone want to trade?

-- Douglas in Chicago - https://dcwwoodworks.com

View Lenny's profile

Lenny

#11 posted 12-24-2014 11:51 AM

Thanks for posting this. I will have to give this a try on my early model Bessey parallel clamps. As I read this, I was going to suggest the tennis racquet re-grip stuff but you covered that too. The brand I get (Wilson) has a “cushion grip” version. It’s slightly spongy. I think it will work well.

-- On the eighth day God was back in His woodworking shop! Lenny, East Providence, RI

View Mojo1's profile

Mojo1

#12 posted 12-27-2014 12:28 PM

I guess I am messy, mine have enough dried glue on the handles to make for a sure grip.

#13 posted 12-28-2014 12:10 AM

Great solution, thank you for sharing

-- Norman - I never never make a mistake, I just change the design.

#14 posted 12-28-2014 12:55 AM

Thanks folks. That’s what’s great about this site… sharing of information is a great way to learn new ideas and techniques.