sawstop pcs175 2 year review

Review by eddy posted 12-17-2014 07:02 PM 9827 views 1 time favorited 26 comments Add to Favorites Watch
sawstop pcs175 2 year review No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

got this saw almost 2 years ago. I run a 1 man shop and do a LOT of production work this saw runs 6 hours some days some times less. 6 days a week I would by this thing again at the drop of a hat no its not perfect but it is a work horse I cant comment about the fence as I never even unpacked it just swapped my incra from my old craftsman zip code saw since I have had the saw I have had 3 issues
1. when I put it together the table was not flat called sawstop had a new table top in 4 days
2. about year into ownership saw was giving a false code and not starting once and awhile called sawstop
2 days later new control box
3. recently not starting once and awhile called this morning no waiting on hold and in 10 min. was told I would have a new start capacitor customer service is #1 with these guys
for a saw that is running 36+ hours week cutting nothing but hard woods I think that’s not bad. I am not easy on this thing for those that don’t know the pcs175 can be upgraded to 220 for about 50 bucks I did mine right at the start. the saw is very smooth operating and quiet. the dust collection is ok not the best but good I think my old saw was a little better but it had a small cabinet. I cant say anything about the brake system as I have not set it off but it sure feels good knowing its there.
so to end this yes I would recommend this saw. customer service is great. I compare this to all the other dealing I have had with jett, ricon, delta, sears, delta,woodpecker and incra not saying any of these are bad in fact I have had no real issues with any of them just saying sawstop is in the top with many others if I missed anything ask
thank you for taking time to read this

-- self proclaimed copycat

View eddy's profile

eddy

View Tedstor's profile

Tedstor

#1 posted 12-17-2014 10:00 PM

Thanks for the post-honeymoon review. I think some people are too quick to review products that they’ve only used 1-2 times. You’ve clearly spent a lot of quality time with this machine. And I agree, the number of maintenance issues are not odd considering the amount of use the machine sees. 36 hours per week for 2 years….....a car would have gone through a set of brakes and a few tires by now too.

View MrRon's profile

MrRon

#2 posted 12-17-2014 10:04 PM

Thanks for the review. It’s reviews like this that are valuable for potential customers.

View ajw1978's profile

ajw1978

#3 posted 12-18-2014 03:37 AM

I saw this on television the other day. I’m not going to lie; I want one if only to try and chop a hot dog.

-- May the good Lord help me if I ever actually have a shop, garage or basement.

#4 posted 12-18-2014 09:23 AM

Nice info, I’m in the market for a new saw right after the holidays I’ll be taking the plunge. I have it narrowed to a SawStop or the big Delta. I’m thinking the SS Laguna was one but there CS is So bad
Thx for the help

View Uncle_Salty's profile

Uncle_Salty

#5 posted 12-18-2014 01:43 PM

The school I teach at purchased this same saw (with 220v power) 4 years ago. We bought the SawStop fence with the 52” table and left tilt.

My only regret is that we didn’t purchase it sooner.

I have had two student “trip” the cartridge and neither were “flesh to blade” contact. Both were set off while using an aluminum tapering jig and not following the simple safety rule of shutting the machine off and waiting for the blade to come to a complete stop before returning the jig to the operator side of the machine.

The fence, while not an Incra, is at the very least, Biesmeyer quality. I can make this comparison because I still have a Delta Unisaw with a Biermeyer fence.

I can’t agree more about the quality of the customer service. It has been great. I, too, had been getting bad codes after about two years of service. They sent out “reprogrammed” cartridges and a new control box in the span of a few days.

It has been a solid purchase.

View Mainiac Matt 's profile

Mainiac Matt

#6 posted 12-18-2014 03:03 PM

Great to hear you haven’t had any false trips in two years. That is my biggest concern.

Kind of dicey to hear that you’ve had two electrical problems… that’s the first I’ve read about that type of problem with SS.

I agree… to many reviews out there by folks who haven’t really used the tools much.

Thanks for posting this … please give us an update again in a few more.

-- Pine is fine, but Oak's no joke!

View Douglas's profile

Douglas

#7 posted 12-18-2014 03:51 PM

Did the Incra face mount on the SS easily? I’m in the same boat: I have a Craftsman “zip code” saw with an Incra fence, and will be upgrading to a 1.75 PCS SS next year, and was hoping to put my Incra on it. Thanks for the review.

-- Douglas in Chicago - https://dcwwoodworks.com

View MrRon's profile

MrRon

#8 posted 12-18-2014 05:58 PM

Just a thought: SS has to be certain their technology is 100% fail safe. Even 20 years or more down the road, should the system fail to function and someone loses a finger, SS would be open to legal action. I wonder if Gass is willing to accept long term responsibility. That being the case, he will have to provide free service in regard to the electronics.

View bobasaurus's profile

bobasaurus

#9 posted 12-18-2014 09:25 PM

Sounds like you’ve given that saw quite the workout and it still performs well. Really tempting to buy one. I’ll have to save up and get one someday.

-- Allen, Colorado (Instagram @bobasaurus_woodworking)

#10 posted 12-19-2014 03:14 AM

Sounds like they were all a great purchase and have met your needs, congrats and thanks for the review

-- Norman - I never never make a mistake, I just change the design.

View michelletwo's profile

michelletwo

#11 posted 12-19-2014 10:33 AM

thanks for a review after so many hours of service. A rare treat. I have been drooling over a SS, and this review helps.

View HarveyM's profile

HarveyM

#12 posted 12-19-2014 12:48 PM

Nice review- One thing I noticed is you’re cutting mainly hardwoods with the 1.75hp. Most of what I’ve read suggest going for the 3hp/220v for thicker hardwood. Have you noticed any downside using your setup?

-- Just a Duffer

View eddy's profile

eddy

#13 posted 12-19-2014 02:39 PM

douglas yes the incra fit fine I did go with the 93 inch rails on this so I could put the router table on the right side and then add a fence to the right side of the positioner I posted a pic of this here
[url=http://lumberjocks.com/projects/83267][img]http://widgets.lumberjocks.com/project/83267.jpg[/img][/url]
I have changed it up a bit since then
Harvey I have had no issues with cutting hard wood now I do use thin kerf blades most of the time. it has bogged a little cutting 12/4 hard maple but that’s to be expected.
as fare as the elect. issues I believe it has always been a start capacitor issue. got the new capacitor yesterday
haven’t put it in yet still working no a large 100 box order
PS: I am still beating on my ricon bandsaw I did a review on back in 2012 and it still runs like new

-- self proclaimed copycat

View TheDane's profile

TheDane

#14 posted 12-19-2014 03:12 PM

I bought my PCS175 almost three years ago … no regrets, no problems.

View HarveyM's profile

HarveyM

#15 posted 12-20-2014 12:01 AM

Thanks Eddy- very impressive! (both the saw & your feedback)

-- Just a Duffer