Green Wood Craft - Part of the BBC Mastercrafts Series

Review by Druid posted 12-15-2014 07:35 AM 3409 views 2 times favorited 9 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Green Wood Craft - Part of the BBC Mastercrafts Series Green Wood Craft - Part of the BBC Mastercrafts Series Green Wood Craft - Part of the BBC Mastercrafts Series Click the pictures to enlarge them

I’ve been watching a few BBC programs on “old”crafts, and they are really interesting. The first one that caught my attention was on working with green wood, and here’s the link to it (and the others in the series). The “outdoor workshops” and the hand tools are mostly things that we don’t see these days. You might also find the “workshop” construction interesting for outdoor demonstrations such as craft fairs. Each topic is split into 4 sections of about 15 minutes each. Hope you enjoy them.

View stefang's profile

stefang

#1 posted 12-15-2014 01:33 PM

Great video series John, thanks for posting. Here is a link to a wonderful book about green woodworking I bought many years ago . It’s a great read. I can’t say I did any of the projects, but I think the book is worth the price just to learn how to split logs and a few other things I can’t remember right off hand.

I finally saw the last videos and they were all very good. I was surprised that Mike Abbot was the ‘expert’ judge as he wrote the book I have had and used for so many years. I do think that it is worth remembering that green wood can also be worked with machine tools, maybe best with the lathe as the wood remains stronger being split and shaped with knives rather than sawn. Plus wet wood makes a mess on saw tables. I have to say that I was both impressed and surprised that the woman participant who had such a tough time throughout the course not only managed to finish on time, but she also made quite a nice chair, well done! Even at my age, I would love to take a course like that.

-- Mike, an American living in Norway.

View lew's profile

lew

12056 posts in 3751 days

#2 posted 12-15-2014 02:21 PM

I’ve heard about this series but unfortunately our local PBS hasn’t shown it, so thanks for the link!

Funny, when I clicked on your link, it took me to the part about weaving. Anyway what is so interesting about that is that I just saw an advertisement for the Pennsylvania Farm Show and the “Sheep to Shaw” contest. The contestants start with an unshorn sheep and finish with a completed wool shaw. It is so fascinating to watch how it is done.

-- Lew- Time traveler. Purveyor of the Universe's finest custom rolling pins.

View Celticscroller's profile

Celticscroller

1269 posts in 2068 days

#3 posted 12-16-2014 03:49 AM

Thanks for sharing John. I’ll look forward to watching all of this series over the holidays.

-- Anna, Richmond BC

#4 posted 12-16-2014 04:09 AM

Glad that this is of interest.
Lew – sorry, I did have the wrong link in place when I first posted, and that one did go to the weaving. The correct link is in place now, and it should start on part 1 of the Green Wood Craft. You should also see the list of the whole series in the right hand panel.

View woodcox's profile

woodcox

2030 posts in 2007 days

#5 posted 12-16-2014 06:35 AM

Thank you for the link John. This made for an entertaining evening watching them see their way through the tasks at hand. Lately I’ve been learning to carve spoons and I found their remarks on “knowing when to stop” pretty familiar:)

Also thanks to Mike for the book link, it’s looks like a good read and I have a copy on its way.

-- "My god has more wood than your god" ... G. Carlin.

View jim65's profile

jim65

999 posts in 1929 days

#6 posted 12-16-2014 07:24 AM

Thanks for the tip!

-- Jim, Marostica Italy

#7 posted 12-16-2014 05:39 PM

Mike – Have you looked up the current price of the book that you provided the link to???
So far, the lowest price I’ve found for a used copy is £45 plus shipping, and some sites show prices as high as £400!!!
I’d suggest that you either keep your copy locked up, or perhaps send it to me to keep it safe for you. ;-)
Have a great day.

View woodcox's profile

woodcox

2030 posts in 2007 days

#8 posted 12-17-2014 03:41 AM

^I had to settle for a used copy for $80. Same seller had a Woodwright’s shop-Practical guide to traditional woodcraft signed by sir Roy I picked up for $18, go figure. I think my wood working book budget is spent for awhile:)

-- "My god has more wood than your god" ... G. Carlin.

View Cantputjamontoast's profile

Cantputjamontoast

#9 posted 12-27-2014 02:47 PM

Niiice!!!!!!!!!

-- "Not skilled enough to wipe jam on toast!"