Mechanical Drafting Pencil: 2.0 mm

Review by TravisH posted 12-14-2014 10:47 PM 4224 views 0 times favorited 5 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Mechanical Drafting Pencil: 2.0 mm Mechanical Drafting Pencil: 2.0 mm No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I have mainly used whatever pencils left over from the kid’s school supplies but have wanted to try out a mechanical drafting pencil (2.0 mm) but most I have come across were sort of costly and/or also needed to be shipped.

I came across this pencil while doing my normal sweep at the store. It was under 5 bucks so put it cheaper than anything else I have come across. I liked the fact it was hexagonal to avoid rolling off the work bench as the clip will be removed (as I find them annoying).

Not for sure if you can really rate a pencil….. but it did what it needed to do as it marked fine and was consistent. The sharpener worked well and overall found it to be satisfactory. I would like it to have a little more weight to it but at under 5 bucks figured no harm if it finds it way to the trash if I end up going back to the old standby.

View Grandpa's profile

Grandpa

#1 posted 12-15-2014 04:27 AM

They can be bought in different weights. Have you tried a book store on a college campus? They are actually called lead chucks. You might want to look for a sharpener also. They are as good as you say. I used one for many years on the job. I use Pentel with .09 mm lead in my shop.

#2 posted 12-15-2014 05:00 AM

I should have clarified, weight as wished it was physically a heavier pencil. I updated the review to include the 2.0 mm lead size in the description. The normal office supply stores and hobby/craft stores have the smaller lead offerings but anything approaching the 2.0 mm lead is easily more expensive (2 to 3 times more expensive). Dick Blick and a few other online sources have some similar priced offerings but then shipping comes into play.

The 2.0 mm for under 5 bucks however is the cheapest I have found locally by far and the sharpener is in the cap end.

View Bill1974's profile

Bill1974

#3 posted 12-16-2014 03:49 PM

Some Staples have the 2 mm lead, usually you have to look where they have the drawing or drafting supplies. Craft stores (Michaels, AC Moore, etc) sometimes have them too. The “pencils” are usually called “lead holders”. Normal pencil lead hardness is HB, you can get harder and softer leads and also other colors.

A sharpener is really needed to use these well:
Staedtler Mars Rotary Action Lead Pointer and Tub for 2mm Leads, 502BKA6

#4 posted 12-16-2014 09:36 PM

The sharpener in the end cap of the pencil put a sharp point on it no problems. Only downside is dumping the graphite from the cap. Could see it getting messy if not cleaned out well and getting everywhere.

View Edwardnorton's profile

Edwardnorton

203 posts in 2071 days

#5 posted 06-24-2017 11:45 AM

A wee bit behind commenting on this post I see but I just happened across it. I have used this same pencil for about 8, maybe 9 years and still am. For the money I have to agree it is a good buy!

-- EdwardNorton